PDA

View Full Version : What distro does Linus use?

MONODA
February 19th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I recently saw a post talking about whether Linus uses os x or not (I know he doesnt he just runs linux on a mac). I know that he uses KDE, but what distro does he use, does anyone know?

blithen
February 19th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I'm pretty sure he uses his own. I remember something similar to this and he said he didn't care what he used(He being linus) as long as it installed fast so he could get to the kernel.

billgoldberg
February 19th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I would like to know to.

I doubt it will be ubuntu.

parmdeep
February 19th, 2008, 06:33 PM
LT: A "specific" one? No. I have changed distributions over the years, and it tends to really end up depending on various random circumstances, like just when I switch machines around and what happens to be convenient.

So right now I happen to run Fedora on my machines, which largely came about from me running on POWER for a few years, and Fedora supported it pretty well (and since I actually don't care that deeply about the distribution, I tend to prefer running the same thing on everything, just to keep any distro issues away).

Before Fedora had PowerPC support, I ran YDL for a while, and before that I had SuSE. Funnily enough, the only distributions I tend to refuse to touch are the "technical" ones, so I've never run Debian, because as far as I'm concerned, the whole and only point of a distribution is to make it easy to install (so that I can then get to the part I care about, namely the kernel), so Debian or one of the "compile everything by hand" ones simply weren't interesting to me.

Source: http://apcmag.com/7017/linus_torvalds_talks_future_of_linux_page_3

notwen
February 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Once he got his G5 he swapped from SuSe to Yellow Dog and once Fedora offered a PPC option he swapped over to Fedora. This as of May 2006 according to this interview (http://www.thenetworkadministrator.com/Linus%20Torvalds.htm). From all accounts/interviews I recall he swaps distros every couple of months.

---EDIT---
Beaten to the punch am I.

LaRoza
February 19th, 2008, 06:46 PM
He uses whatever...

I know RMS uses gNewSense, which is based on Ubuntu but 100% GNU. It also has developer tools, like build-essential installed by default.

It is a good distro, but it is Dapper based, and a big behind.

jrusso2
February 19th, 2008, 06:50 PM
http://www.thenetworkadministrator.com/Linus%20Torvalds.htm

Will: Having used myself many different distros of Linux including SuSE, Red Hat, Mandriva, etc... Do you have a personal favorite mainstream distro?

Linus: I used to actively make sure I used several different ones, just to not be biased. So I had a RH box _and_ a SuSE one, and switched between them, for example. At some point I decided it doesn't really matter any more: the market is big enough that nobody cares what _I_ do, so just for simplicity
I ended up doing just one distribution so that my different machines looked as similar as possible.

Of course, the "one distribution" has changed over time. It used to be SuSE, then when I switched to PowerPC it was YellowDog, then when Fedora did a PPC version I switched to that (so that I could have the same thing on my G5 desktop and my regular x86 laptop).

So right now it happens to be FC5. Whether that is "favourite" or not, I'm not sure. It's more of a random choice.

MONODA
February 19th, 2008, 06:51 PM
He uses whatever...

I know RMS uses gNewSense, which is based on Ubuntu but 100% GNU. It also has developer tools, like build-essential installed by default.

It is a good distro, but it is Dapper based, and a big behind.
yeah i heard about gnewsense but isnt it basically the same idea as gobuntu?

LaRoza
February 19th, 2008, 06:55 PM
yeah i heard about gnewsense but isnt it basically the same idea as gobuntu?

It is Dapper basically. I used it, it has the non free repositories removed, and has packages useful to programmers.

RMS uses CLI or GNOME (in contrast to Linus).

I don't know what gobuntu is.

MONODA
February 19th, 2008, 07:00 PM
gobuntu is an official ubuntu version (you can checkit out on the ubuntu site) that only uses free software.

Bachstelze
February 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I know RMS uses gNewSense, which is based on Ubuntu but 100% GNU.

100% free from the GNU point ov view, rather. It still has loads of non-GNU software (the kernel, to begin with).

LaRoza
February 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM
gobuntu is an official ubuntu version (you can checkit out on the ubuntu site) that only uses free software.
Thanks, that shows how attentive I am.

http://www.gnewsense.org/Main/Features

LaRoza
February 19th, 2008, 07:03 PM
100% free from the GNU point ov view, rather. It still has loads of non-GNU software (the kernel, to begin with).

Actually, gNewSense has all that removed from the kernel it seems.

Bachstelze
February 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Actually, gNewSense has all that removed from the kernel it seems.

Even with things removed from it, the kernel is still Linux, right? And last time I checked, Linux was not part of the GNU project. Same goes for Xorg, and loads of other stuff. gNewSens is 100% free software, but not all free software is GNU software.

LaRoza
February 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Even with things removed from it, the kernel is still Linux, right? And last time I checked, Linux was not part of the GNU project. Same goes for Xorg, and loads of ther stuff.

I misworded it, sorry.

forrestcupp
February 19th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Whatever Linus is using, you can bet he's not running Gnome.

deepclutch
February 19th, 2008, 07:22 PM
whatever,Linus is secretly will be using Gnome based distro :twisted: as can be seen he uploaded patches for some mouse functionality to Gnome devel :lol:

LaRoza
February 19th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Whatever Linus is using, you can bet he's not running Gnome.

RMS uses GNOME, but he also uses Emacs. So I guess you can't win them all.