PDA

View Full Version : My money is in your hands!

benplaut
September 29th, 2005, 07:09 AM
To sum it up, i'm getting a new [desktop] computer... the 5uXx0r5 graphics on this thinkpad are not to my liking :mad:

My budget it about $1300, including shipping to Hawaii, and i'm thinking of getting a nice high-res 17" LCD... i haven't decided on that part yet :???:

I was planning on building my own, but it seems that the shipping of individual parts to this far away wasteland will make it even more expensive that buying pre-built, so i guess i'm going with that... i'm not too much of an elitist b*stard to get prefab :cool:

I've been looking at Ibuypower, it seems i can get a (sans moniter and shipping) A64 3500, 6600GT, 1gig RAM 120gb HDD for about $1000, but i'm open to suggestions :)

Pretty much, i'm looking for a good reliable system that will work like a charm on pretty much any modern distro, as i'm going to be trying a few more with a bigger HDD :cool: . I want to keep away from Dell and Sony (d'oh), but pretty much anything else is OK

...Also, do you think it would be worth waiting until next spring to get one? that's about as long as i'll be able to handle this POS mobile 7500

Yours truly,
-Ben :cool:

poofyhairguy
September 29th, 2005, 07:29 AM
To sum it up, i'm getting a new [desktop] computer... the 5uXx0r5 graphics on this thinkpad are not to my liking :mad:
My budget it about $1300, including shipping to Hawaii, and i'm thinking of getting a nice high-res 17" LCD... i haven't decided on that part yet :???:

19" is nice for not that much more.

I've been looking at Ibuypower, it seems i can get a (sans moniter and shipping) A64 3500, 6600GT, 1gig RAM 120gb HDD for about $1000, but i'm open to suggestions :)

What matters the most is that the parts are compatible with Linux. Motherboards, drives, etc. Where is the page for this one PC?

benplaut
September 29th, 2005, 07:37 AM
19" is nice for not that much more.
What matters the most is that the parts are compatible with Linux. Motherboards, drives, etc. Where is the page for this one PC?

it's the

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=103

but with the next step up sound card, 6600GT (single), +$9 gigabyte mobo, and NEC ND-3520A DVD burner...

Ibuypower/Cyberpower (i think they're the same company) are pretty sweet in letting you -$60 by not having Windows preinstalled :)

mstlyevil
September 29th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Try HP's website and see what they want for a new lappy with the same specs. They also use AMD 64 Athlon chips.

benplaut
September 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM
HP has good price, with good specs, but... the graphics suck :(

for some odd reason, it seems tat Cybeower is significantly cheaper (over $100) for the same system... odd :???:

<<edit>>

this is the best HP i found, but i don't like the looks of those graphics...

Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2

Processor AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3500+ (2.2GHz/512KB L2 Cache)

Display FREE Upgrade to 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!!

Graphics Card 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)

Memory 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)

Hard Drive 60 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive

Primary CD/DVD Drive DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support

Networking FREE Upgrade to 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM!!

Primary Battery FREE Second 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery!!

Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works/Money

-----

thanks! :)

benplaut
September 30th, 2005, 11:50 PM
here's the fruit of my research... what do you guys think?

# CAS: NZXT Nemesis Elite Aluminium Mid-Tower Case 420W W/Window, Temp.Display & Fan Control [+25] (BLACK COLOR)
# CASUPGRADE: NONE
# CPU: (939-pin) AMD ATHLON™64 3500+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology [+70]
# CD: 16X DVD ROM (BLACK COLOR)
# CD2: (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
# CABLE: None
# FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 6in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
# FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 2 EXTRA 3-COLOR LED CASE FANS [+19]
# FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BLACK COLOR)
# HALFLIFE2: Free "Half-Life 2 Bronze" Download Coupon
# HDD: 160GB Hard Drive (Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA 100 8MB Special Editon [-3])
# HDD2: NONE
# IEEE_CARD: NONE
# KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BEIGE COLOR)
# MOUSE: (Silver) Microsoft® Wireless Optical IntelliMouse® Explorer 2.0A USB & PS/2 Compactible [+27]
# MONITOR: NONE [-205]
# MP3PLAYER: NONE
# MODEM: NONE
# MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)GigaByte GA-K8N-SLI nForce4 SLI Chipset DDR400 SATA Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio [+19]
# MEMORY: 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair XMS PRO High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader & LED Lights [+72])
# NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
# OS: NONE - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY [-60]
# PRO_WIRING: None
# PRINTER: None
# PRINTER_CABLE: None
# POWERSUPPLY: Super Alien 500 Watt See Through Power Supply w/ Fan Speed Control [+59] (BLACK COLOR)
# RAID: NONE
# RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
# SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY PLUS ONE-YEAR ONSITE SERVICE
# SOUND: ESS 3D WAVETABLE SOUND PCI [+12]
# SPEAKERS: NONE [-51]
# SCANNER: NONE
# STRAP: NONE
# TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)
# UPS: None
# USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
# USBHD: NONE
# VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
# VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD [+35]
# VIDEO2: NONE
# WIRELESSCARD: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]
# WIRELESSPOINT: NONE
# ZIP: NONE
# _PRICE: (+1013)

WildTangent
October 1st, 2005, 02:23 AM
the specs you just posted look great :D nice system ;)

EDIT: off-topic...but posts dont count in the cafe anymore? :(

-Wild

xequence
October 1st, 2005, 02:59 AM
the specs you just posted look great :D nice system ;)

EDIT: off-topic...but posts dont count in the cafe anymore? :(

-Wild

Yea, its supposed to make the forums a whole lot better. Happened about a week ago, and I very much dont like it :P