PDA

View Full Version : Future Ubuntu Certification?

MatthewMetzger
December 3rd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Hello,

I know that Canonical has a very different business model and goals than Red Hat, but I was wondering if in the future they may entertain the idea of Ubuntu certification (especially if ubuntu becomes as popular as I think it will).

I would certainly be interested in gaining a certification in linux, but I'm not that interested in Red Hat certification. Maybe this would be a good place to talk about what certification means and how it benifits (or doesn't) the linux community and individuals. Is anyone here Red Hat certified? If Ubuntu certification was available, would you go for it?

thanks. I'm interested.

Matthew Metzger

eBopBob
December 4th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Hmm, that is a very interesting idea actually.

I know a few universities in the U.K. say you need to pass Red Hat Certification to pass the course (Obviously courses though where Linux is used - I remember Staffordshire Uni was one and they had it in the Comp Sci and also Network Systems courses; but you did the Red Hat Cert as part of the course).

I think it would be very interesting and very nice if they had Ubuntu Certification as well as Red Hat (in which case you can choose) or instead of.

I probably would be interested in this.

banadushi
December 4th, 2004, 12:23 PM
I'm an RHCE and personally I think it is THE linux certification to go for. I've actually never ran redhat on any of my servers or workstations. The one thing I like about the RHCE certification is it is a practical test and is not Redhat specific.

They give you a computer and you fix 4 boot problems, like grub won't load, or you get pivot_root errors on boot, etc. If the system boots you pass. It does not matter how you fixed it just that you got the results expected.

Then you have a 100 question multiple guess test. Its stupid easy for anyone who has setup services on any distro and knows what the services do and common Unix/Linux file paths.

Last you have the services portion. You have several problems that you must solve, configure apache to server content, configure samba, configure NFS/NIS, etc. You then get graded by a remote script that tests for the service, Does your workstation server the correct web content, if so check. Can it authenticate with NIS and use automounter to mount the home directory for a user, if so check. There are 4 required service problems, and 4 optional ones which you must compleate 2 of them.

Overall I scored a 95.27, I only missed one portion on the service part, although I have no clue how, I tested everything.

The RHCE is kinda like the CCIE in that if certifies you know your stuff and can prove it. To me that holds more weight than a pure multiple guess cert. Distro specific certifications are lame in my opinion, I'm also a big fan of the LPI, but so far its a multiple guess type of test.

Just my $.02

Jason

Magneto
December 4th, 2004, 05:24 PM
doesnt the rhce require you attend one of their classes?

banadushi
December 5th, 2004, 12:27 AM
doesnt the rhce require you attend one of their classes?

No you don't have to, RedHat just reccomends it.

Magneto
December 5th, 2004, 05:27 AM
kool - i need to look at that- linux+ seems easy but its like $200

wallijonn
December 5th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Magneto,

The Red Hat test costs about $800...

Magneto
December 5th, 2004, 07:33 AM
yup $749 and that is for a 5day class and the test or just the test if you dont want the test :|
and for rhct its $249
just read it on redhat's site no thanks unless someone else will pay for it

MatthewMetzger
December 5th, 2004, 08:16 AM
yup $749 and that is for a 5day class and the test or just the test if you dont want the test and for rhct its $249

Some things are worth paying for, but that does seem a bit steep. I'd pay $150 for a certification, though. It's nice to have someone voutch for your abilities.

stoneguy
December 5th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Can't see Ubuntu being used in the business sector. It's the PHBs who look for certs.