PDA

View Full Version : Filesharing on Campus

ghindo
February 19th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I go to university, and have inherited a machine that hosts the filesharing network for the campus.

Right now, we're using Strangesearch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangesearch) (running on Windows XP), but I'm a bit concerned since it hasn't been actively maintained for a while now.

Are there any alternatives to a program like Strangesearch? Any that run on Linux? I'm also concerned about the GUI, since most of the users aren't going to be too computer-savvy

dasunst3r
February 19th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I don't condone file sharing, but let me introduce you to an untraceable file sharing protocol: Sneakernet! I'll let you think about that for a little bit.

k2t0f12d
February 19th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Freenet. (http://freenetproject.org/)

p_quarles
February 19th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I don't condone file sharing, but let me introduce you to an untraceable file sharing protocol: Sneakernet! I'll let you think about that for a little bit.
Contrary to popular belief, filesharing is neither illegal nor unethical. The software in question (just like your sneakernet suggestion) can be used to share files to which the sharer has rights, and can be used to (illegally) share files which are the property of others.

That said, this thread can be easily closed if the discussion turns toward anything that is specific to the latter kind of filesharing. ;)

quinnten83
February 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Contrary to popular belief, filesharing is neither illegal nor unethical. The software in question (just like your sneakernet suggestion) can be used to share files to which the sharer has rights, and can be used to (illegally) share files which are the property of others.

That said, this thread can be easily closed if the discussion turns toward anything that is specific to the latter kind of filesharing. ;)

We are living in a world of fear thanks to big corporations. That's why one should switch over to free alternatives. B4 things get so crazy you're scared to turn on your computer lest the IT-Gestappo knocks on your door five minutes later!!!!!

k2t0f12d
February 19th, 2008, 09:43 AM
We are living in a world of fear thanks to big corporations. That's why one should switch over to free alternatives. B4 things get so crazy you're scared to turn on your computer lest the IT-Gestappo knocks on your door five minutes later!!!!!

++

Raven_Oscar
February 19th, 2008, 12:59 PM
quinnten83
+1
You are more than right.

ghindo
February 19th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I'm don't really want to discuss the political implications of filesharing, because at this point most people have pretty firm opinions on the subject and probably won't be swayed by much. I really just want to know what filesharing programs and setups people use, nothing more.

samir85
February 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
On my campus we have a DC++ hub. I think there's is some linux client for it available too.

ghindo
February 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
On my campus we have a DC++ hub. I think there's is some linux client for it available too.What're the Mac options like? There are quite a few Mac users on my campus...

Mary.Riley
February 20th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I REALLY like TorrentFlux. Also, mldonkey is good as well. Both use web-based interfaces.

Crashmaxx
February 20th, 2008, 09:09 PM
DC++ is really nice. It has clients for most systems, built in IRC, and it is easy to force users to share a minimum amount. Wish we had one on this campus.

Kingsley
February 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM
I'm pretty sure Seek42 is very similar to StrangeSearch. Check it out.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/seek42/

ghindo
February 21st, 2008, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Seek42 is very similar to StrangeSearch. Check it out.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/seek42/Part of my concern with Strangesearch is that it hasn't been actively maintained for quite a while - Seek42 looks like it hasn't been updated since 2001 :-?

Hortinstein
February 21st, 2008, 10:33 PM
you could encrypt your transfers with SSH or even run it off a torrent seedbox....expensive, but you DL and upload at ridiculous speeds

hugmenot
March 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM
The campus here uses DC++ too. For a local network it's a good solution (no need for swarming etc).