PDA

View Full Version : Do you all think that a Ubuntu Lite will be out one day?

TrailerTrash
September 29th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Ive got a old computer laying around...A Gateway celeron 566mhz 64meg ram (i hope to find more ram to add to it) and would like to see a lite version that will work on older computers. Think that will happen one day?

Stormy Eyes
September 29th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Ive got a old computer laying around...A Gateway celeron 566mhz 64meg ram (i hope to find more ram to add to it) and would like to see a lite version that will work on older computers. Think that will happen one day?

It's on the development team's ToDo List. Maybe the Dapper Drake release will have an Ubuntu Lite option. In the meantime, there are howto threads for doing minimal installations of Ubuntu for low-end gear. And there's always Damn Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/).

az
September 29th, 2005, 03:40 AM
UbuntuLite is closely linked with edubuntu.

Edubuntu will run on an ubuntulite base. That seems to be the plan, actually.

You can always do a server install, enable universe and
sudo apt-get install gdm x-window-system-core synaptic mozilla-firefox icewm menu

GreyFox503
September 29th, 2005, 03:53 AM
You could try a "server" install of Ubuntu. I've never done that but I believe its just a stripped down version of Ubuntu without a lot of the extra packages it normally comes with. However, this requires you to spend more time after installation adding everything you want. Hopefully others can elaborate on this as I lack experience.

Edit: um, what azz said. :)

Qrk
September 29th, 2005, 04:27 AM
There is also Ubuntu Lite... I haven't tried it, and it probably has more than a few bugs. It uses XFCE, which is a great desktop.

www.ubuntulite.org

23meg
September 29th, 2005, 04:43 AM
so you see, it's already out :)

on a more serious note, more of this kind of branching (which is good; the more diversity, the better) is more likely to happen if us, the users make them happen, in a community driven and supported mode of operation rather than an officially supported one. if they get enough users and can become stable, they can become official with time as well, which may be the case with kubuntu for example.

poofyhairguy
September 29th, 2005, 07:24 AM
I make my own. XFCE+ Gnome-panel!

psychicdragon
September 29th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't say that Xfce + gnome-panel is very light. No way you could run that set up on a celeron 566.

I think that a sane Ubuntu Lite should probably be based around Icewm. With a nicer theme it could make a good desktop for older PC's that doesn't look to bad either.

The biggest hurdle is the actual programs like the web browser. Firefox is such a pig and there aren't really any other suitable web browsers without many dependencies.

pinoyskull
September 29th, 2005, 10:52 AM
if i want a light version of ubuntu, ill install XFCE