PDA

View Full Version : Do "the ladies" like your computer? why?

savantelite
February 19th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I love my ubuntu. But my view is from a 25 year old male hacker.

My question is do ladies like using your Ubuntu computer?

Why do they enjoy using it.

Have you went out of your way to make it nice?

Any perspectives at all.

speedwell68
February 19th, 2008, 02:05 AM
The Mrs has no real preference to OSes if that is what you mean. As far as she is concerned Firefox and Thunderbird is the same in Windows or Ubuntu, which largely it is. But when she uses a Windows PC she does comment that it is not as smooth as mine and the default font is much blockier in Windows and not as pleasing to the eye.

hardyn
February 19th, 2008, 02:08 AM
depends if the GF is a computer nerd or not. Most of the GFs didn't care, if facebook worked. I did date one that genuinely found it cool; but she bought a mac and now sings of apple, not linux... oh well.

woedend
February 19th, 2008, 02:11 AM
my fiance used only windows and not much of a geek or savvy user.. when i butchered vista partition, she had to use my arch linux.... she made a username, customized emerald themes, and used it. Not thinking she knew much the difference in what she was doing honestly, i threw debian sid in its place. This morning she actually said "i like arch better than debian why did you put this crap on here", claiming about boot speeds and wireless.
i was speechless, but agreed, and here i sit on arch.

PurposeOfReason
February 19th, 2008, 02:11 AM
My girlfriend gets a kick out of the fire plugin but besides that, she doesn't realize a big difference. She knows it's linux but as I use arch, she doesn't get the best impression for "ease of use". :)

toupeiro
February 19th, 2008, 02:23 AM
My Fiance has ubuntu studio loaded on her PC (dual boots with WinXP). She does graphic design for a living.

igknighted
February 19th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Is it just me or do these choices boil down to "yes, they think ubuntu is 1337" or "no". Where's the "yes, she uses it, but gets annoyed because she doesn't know where stuff is" option?

Salpiche
February 19th, 2008, 02:49 AM
all my wife cares about is that it works and she knows where everything she downloads go, as well as the conversion from being a book worm to a geek when she talks to her friends about computers and they ask her what kind of computer she has.

-Phi-
February 19th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Other "Yes, but only one. My computer is mine and mine only"

My husband prefers his own windows computer.

- Phi

kleeman
February 19th, 2008, 03:08 AM
My wife and daughter want me to buy a mac. No way Jose they are stuck with brown.

Trenchbroom
February 19th, 2008, 03:40 AM
My wife knows that there is a difference between Ubuntu and Windows, but at this point she is comfortable with both.

newagelink
February 19th, 2008, 03:51 AM
lol, i love the poll option, "Yes, But it is the only one she can use"

... it implies, "I keep her locked in the basement."

Also, your thread doesn't seem very inclusive of gay men.

oldos2er
February 19th, 2008, 03:53 AM

Or straight women.

newagelink
February 19th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Or straight women.Surely those don't exist on the internet...

EtniesBMX
February 19th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Surely those don't exist on the internet...

hahaha

DoktorSeven
February 19th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Or sad, lonely computer nerds :(

Ocxic
February 19th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I quote "You have the most awesome computer ever"
thank you compiz :-)

jrusso2
February 19th, 2008, 04:51 AM
I am a lady and I like using my Linux pc's

rabid9797
February 19th, 2008, 05:00 AM
depends on the girl really. my last girlfriend knew what ubuntu was, and was pretty impressed that i could use it(she understood the difference between it and windows), but couldn't really grasp how to use it, and didn't really have a preference between windows and linux.(so i guess thats a yes?)

my current(or...was current until about a week ago) couldn't grasp the idea of something other than widnows, becuase she could barely use windows anyway :lolflag:

steveneddy
February 19th, 2008, 05:05 AM
The ladies I know don't like any of my PC's because they don't spit out money on request.

cartisdm
February 19th, 2008, 05:17 AM
My GF tends to just humor me when I talk about my computer stories. Usually it's "that's great sweety, good job, I'm very impressed" but it comes across "Wow, you're boring me, good thing you buy me shiny things, lets make out now"

macogw
February 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I'm a lady, and I love using my Ubuntu computer, though I use Debian at my dad's house and lots of Fedora and CentOS in class. My mom really likes Ubuntu.

- Phi
Win. BF picked up my laptop (ok well my roommate's laptop that I took and installed Ubuntu on while my Ubuntu laptop gets fixed) today and I sat down to watch over his shoulder and make sure he doesn't break it. He knows Linux really well, don't get me wrong, but he's mischievous. He loves his MacBook, though, so he runs Fedora inside Parallels. He doesn't know how to use Windows.

montres
February 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
My girlfriend is a very basic PC user so, once I showed her a few things, she was able to use my PC adequately. She understands that there are differences between Windows and Linux but I doubt she knows what these differences are.
She likes the way the word "Ubuntu" sounds, though! Does that count?

frankos44
February 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Both my daughters now think windows is crap. None of the machines at the school work properly and are extremely slow to the point of being unusable.

One of them was told they had to have windows at home to access the school server... also crap, of course she can, in fact she was the only one that managed to put her homework on the server out of the whole lot!

My wife likes something that works so she is happy too.

I think women love Linux

jrharvey
February 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM
All the ladies love compiz and custom theming. Other than that i dont think they mind the system or Gnome. I put ubuntu on my Ex's laptop but she never messes around with it. Sometimes people just get use to windows and dont care.

Thingymebob
February 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM
My wife was out for the night when I installed Ubuntu. She didn't even comment when she started using it the next day. She found and used everything she need without even asking for help. Admittedly I put a couple of links on her desktop to equivalent MS-apps that I know she used so as there wouldn't be to much hassle, but when I checked 3 days later these were all gone.

My 4 year old has only ever used Ubuntu at home (since he was 2 and threw my laptop down the stairs, forcing me to buy a new one - he got the duck tape repaired old one to use). He regularly comments on how much better it is than what he uses at school (He particularly likes Tuxpaint and Frozen Bubble). And I particularly like how much control I have over what he can do.

frankos44
February 19th, 2008, 11:06 AM

- Phi

If your PC has a good spec why not load compiz-fusion and **** him off with rotating cudes and reflective backgrounds and all the other effects.. etc.

Better still, just hack into his PC from yours ( not a difficult task ) and tell him what he's been doing on his vulnerable unstable platform ... lol

DrMega
February 19th, 2008, 11:15 AM
The wife is not very computer literate. She like that:

1. It always works (she somehow managed to constantly break Windows)
2. When she browses the web, she doesn't get bombarded with all sorts of cr@p.
3. It doesn't take a year to boot (ie it doesn't need to start up, run and update antivirus, firewall etc just to give it a fighting chance).

seshomaru samma
February 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM
"the lady" (my wife) doesnt care about how the computer is set up as long as it is easy to use . She doesnt like me changing it or even moving icons around. She istotally unimpressed with Compiz Fusion and the only thing she finds attractive about Linux is that it is free.

frankos44
February 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM
The wife is not very computer literate. She like that:

1. It always works (she somehow managed to constantly break Windows)
2. When she browses the web, she doesn't get bombarded with all sorts of cr@p.
3. It doesn't take a year to boot (ie it doesn't need to start up, run and update antivirus, firewall etc just to give it a fighting chance).

Point 3:

This is probable the biggest problem with windows. How can we... 20 years later have no speed improvement using windows "safely" when the processor speeds have jumped from 200Mhz to 3GHz and modern hard drives now run faster by a factor of at least 20?

What impact has it had on the planet when PC's use more energy than ever before yet give no improvement in speed? Windows should be banned as a threat to the planet besides being a monumental rip off and a big security risk.

quinnten83
February 19th, 2008, 01:48 PM
lol, i love the poll option, "Yes, But it is the only one she can use"

... it implies, "I keep her locked in the basement."

Hear, hear,
or women for that matter :)!

quinnten83
February 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM
depends on the girl really. my last girlfriend knew what ubuntu was, and was pretty impressed that i could use it(she understood the difference between it and windows), but couldn't really grasp how to use it, and didn't really have a preference between windows and linux.(so i guess thats a yes?)

my current(or...was current until about a week ago) couldn't grasp the idea of something other than widnows, becuase she could barely use windows anyway :lolflag:

Is that the reason why she is no longer current??
Cause I could totally understand wanting to break up with her then :)

EmilyRose
February 19th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Well... my HUSBAND and DAD use ubuntu just fine, but then again, they don't have much choice;)

Nevon
February 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM
My girlfriend loves the open-/black-/fluxbox look so much that she has installed a shell replacement in Windows (on her laptop) so that it looks like it's one of the box WMs. I've suggested she get a proper Linux installation on her desktop computer, but sadly she cannot seem to live without Photoshop, Illustrator and all those programs. Can't really blame her though, as she's currently on her way to becoming a graphical designer.
Anyway, I think she thinks my relatively simplistic set up with gnome looks good, but not good enough for her to sacrifice her Windows only applications.

cprofitt
February 19th, 2008, 06:55 PM
My wife knows that my computer is off-limits. I bought her a computer for her to use and my daughter has her own as well. When My son and other daughter are old enough they will have their own computers as well.

I do not believe in sharing a computer... they are much to personal to me... they are like underwear - NOT TO BE SHARED.

cknight
February 19th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Haha, my wife isn't really fussed about Linux vs Windows, but hates my particular linux setup, primarily because I'm using Fluxbox. She's a desktop person with, like, 125+ shortcuts/apps/documents on her desktop. Fluxbox, of course, has no desktop. Nice and clean. Drives her nuts :) "How do you find anything?" lol