PDA

View Full Version : Reading entire threads

forrestcupp
February 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I've seen threads with like 15 pages where someone posts something and gets blasted for not reading the entire thread.

So what is the maximum number of pages a thread can have that people should still be expected to "read the whole thread?"

Fbot1
February 18th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I think the point were people stop reading all of it is around page 8.

red_Marvin
February 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
It depends on the topic, and how the posts reference each other, I mean, if it's a debate it can be vital to read much of it,
since the nuances of what people mean might not be visible in the choice of words in a single post previous one's aren't known.
If I am to reply "against" someone, the least I can do is to read all posts of relevance, to make sure I haven't misunderstood anyone.

aimran
February 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Too long. Didn't read lol!

:popcorn:

fatality_uk
February 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM
It depends on the topic, and how the posts reference each other, I mean, if it's a debate it can be vital to read much of it,
since the nuances of what people mean might not be visible in the choice of words in a single post previous one's aren't known.
If I am to reply "against" someone, the least I can do is to read all posts of relevance, to make sure I haven't misunderstood anyone.

I agree. If I find myself going to page 6 of 25 I will often read on because if a thread has got my attention, I feel it only right to understand as much of it as possible before commenting.

Kingsley
February 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
It depends on the type of topic. I read through most debate threads. I don't even bother reading one page of anything in the Community Games section.

P.S. Does anybody else tend to start on like page 25 of a thread and then read backwards?

Istonian
February 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
i do

noremac
February 18th, 2008, 09:24 PM
It depends on the type of topic. I read through most debate threads. I don't even bother reading one page of anything in the Community Games section.

P.S. Does anybody else tend to start on like page 25 of a thread and then read backwards?

I do this frequently as well. If I am trying to find a solution to a problem, I go to the end and read backwards trying to find someone else who had the problem recently. Then get the solution from there.

-Cameron

SomeGuyDude
February 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Unless the thread is fascinating or obviously helpful, I'll read the first page or three.

"Post your conkyrc with screenshot" <- since every post in there is potentially useful, I read it all.

"What music player do you use?" <- I read the first post to see exactly what he's asking, then just quick-reply without reading much of the rest.

Northsider
February 18th, 2008, 09:50 PM
3-4 pages I'll read. More than that and I'll just read the last page.

Tristam Green
February 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Unless the thread is fascinating or obviously helpful, I'll read the first page or three.

"Post your conkyrc with screenshot" <- since every post in there is potentially useful, I read it all.

"What music player do you use?" <- I read the first post to see exactly what he's asking, then just quick-reply without reading much of the rest.

Exactly. Likewise with the conkyrc thread, there are probably NUMEROUS multiple posts, but they're so far-between that they become useful again.

In other forums....I'll only blast a reader for not reading an entire thread if the "entire thread" is about 5~10 pages by default formatting. If it's ridiculously long (~50pages), I won't bother nor expect it.

smartboyathome
February 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I have threads to go 20 posts per page, so I would usually read the first 2-3, sometimes 4, pages, and if there was more, I would usually skip to the last couple of pages.

forrestcupp
February 18th, 2008, 11:51 PM
In a really long thread, I'll usually read the first page or two just to see what the foundation is, then I'll read the last couple of pages to see where the conversation is currently.

The thing that is frustrating sometimes is when I read some of the beginning posts and really have something burning in me to reply, then I get to the end and find that the conversation is totally different than it was in the beginning so my reply doesn't really apply anymore.

In the support forums, the thing that is frustrating is when no one is giving the right answer. I know it and I'm excited to give it because no one else has thought of it. But I go ahead and read all 6 pages and right before I get to the end there is a post with the correct answer. So I try to swallow it and go on instead of acting like one of those post addicts that have to throw in their, "what he said is right" post.

23meg
February 18th, 2008, 11:56 PM
In the support forums, the thing that is frustrating is when no one is giving the right answer. I know it and I'm excited to give it because no one else has thought of it. But I go ahead and read all 6 pages and right before I get to the end there is a post with the correct answer. So I try to swallow it and go on instead of acting like one of those post addicts that have to throw in their, "what he said is right" post.

The "Search this Thread" feature may help you.

billgoldberg
February 19th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Usually 2 pages. If it's intresting i'll read more.

igknighted
February 19th, 2008, 12:17 AM
voted 1-2... I have my account set up to show 75 posts/page, so anything over 2 no chance :P

red_Marvin
February 19th, 2008, 12:30 AM
The thing that is frustrating sometimes is when I read some of the beginning posts and really have something burning in me to reply, then I get to the end and find that the conversation is totally different than it was in the beginning so my reply doesn't really apply anymore.

That I can relate to... =_=

Linuxratty
February 19th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I'll usually make it to six if it's really something interesting,then jump to the last page.

Mr. Picklesworth
February 19th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I'd written an equation for this, which said the chance of a thread drifting off topic based on its length and the forum's default posts per page setting. Forget where I put it, but it worked. Really just an exponent; nothing fancy.

hessiess
February 19th, 2008, 01:19 AM
depends on the subject, but more than 2 i tend to scip to the last page