PDA

View Full Version : FF3 Beta 3 is awesome

inverseroom
February 18th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I dunno if this is everyone's experience, but the new Firefox is running freaking superbly on both Linux and Windows for me. It's fast, stable, attractive, and hasn't crashed a single time yet. It's even a significant improvement on the last alpha. I'm really stunned. And the new remember-password dialogue--which you can wait to click until AFTER you find out if the page successfully loads--is genius.

hyper_ch
February 18th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I have quite some troubles with it...

roaldz
February 18th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I dunno if this is everyone's experience, but the new Firefox is running freaking superbly on both Linux and Windows for me. It's fast, stable, attractive, and hasn't crashed a single time yet. It's even a significant improvement on the last alpha. I'm really stunned. And the new remember-password dialogue--which you can wait to click until AFTER you find out if the page successfully loads--is genius.

What method did you use to install FF 3 Beta?

Joeb454
February 18th, 2008, 05:38 PM
It's running fine for me :)

I'm having a similar experience to the OP - it's FAR better than FF2. I can't wait until the final release either :) Hoping it's before Hardy :)

Subliminal Aura
February 18th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Since switching to Opera I haven't been more happier.

No more firefux memory links.
No more slow startup.
No more hanging.

And yes I have been using firefox since day one. Yes it's an awesome browser but nothing comes close to the speed of Opera

PmDematagoda
February 18th, 2008, 05:42 PM
This thread is moved to the Community Cafe.

roaldz
February 18th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Well.. I tried it, shortly. Loading webpages and switching tabs is still slooow.. I´m sorry, but linux is not Firefox´s best platform..

Oh yeah, It´s especially slow when you´re loading another tab. Your current tab will get slow while the other gets loaded. Does any of you guys notice this?
FF2 doesn´t have this (at least here in Holland..:))

inverseroom
February 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM
It's quite speedy on my end, but I'm always running the NoScript plugin...that may have something to do with it.

forrestcupp
February 18th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Well.. I tried it, shortly. Loading webpages and switching tabs is still slooow.. I´m sorry, but linux is not Firefox´s best platform..

Oh yeah, It´s especially slow when you´re loading another tab. Your current tab will get slow while the other gets loaded. Does any of you guys notice this?
FF2 doesn´t have this (at least here in Holland..:))

I don't get it, because everything I've experienced and read about FF3 is that it is way faster than FF2. I was amazed at the speed difference. I'm not going to use it until they get the plugin support worked out, though.

jrusso2
February 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM
FF3 Beta 3 has been awesome for me. Its been stable, fast and uses less memory and resources then the hoggish FireFox 2 line.

Now if the plugins would catch up I would be very happy.

Nevon
February 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I haven't tried FF3 in Linux yet. I'm just going to wait until it's officially released. I have however tried it for Windows, and GOOD GOD it's ugly! Especially the back/forward/stop/reload/whatnot buttons.

Fbot1
February 18th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I haven't tried FF3 in Linux yet. I'm just going to wait until it's officially released. I have however tried it for Windows, and GOOD GOD it's ugly! Especially the back/forward/stop/reload/whatnot buttons.

That's what themes are for I guess. I like them.

graabein
February 18th, 2008, 06:50 PM

No more slow startup.
No more hanging.

And yes I have been using firefox since day one. Yes it's an awesome browser but nothing comes close to the speed of Opera

Being Norwegian I should support the home team and switch to Opera. I've never given it much of a chance. Does it have NoScript and Adblock plugins?

Screenshot please!

argie
February 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM
It seems to be much faster than Firefox 2 for me. However, fonts render awfully on my LCD where they render wonderfully everywhere else. (and in FF2)

Bachstelze
February 18th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Awesome, I tell ya...

jpeddicord
February 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Awesome, I tell ya...

Haven't had that problem. Tried clearing your profile?

I love everying about Firefox 3 except for the quirky font rendering on Launchpad and a few other sites. Everything else about it (speed, stability, visual) is excellent.

hyper_ch
February 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Well, I have problems with ogame (http://www.ogame.org)

Bachstelze
February 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Haven't had that problem. Tried clearing your profile?

Yep, that did the trick indeed. All I'm saying is that they could at least have retained backwards compatibility for profiles, I had to reimport all my bookmarks manually :/

christophski
February 18th, 2008, 07:16 PM
It's been running brilliantly. The only qualm i've had is that when i installed it over my 3.0b2 install, I lost my forward/back buttons, which was fixed just by deleting the localstore.rdf file in my profile ;)
To get most of my plugins running, iI just downloaded the xpi files and edited the install.rdf file ;)
works great!

Nevon
February 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Screenshot please!

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/ff3_theme_winxp_integmenu.png

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/ff3_theme_winxp_mainwindow.png

Luckily it doesn't look the same in Linux.

FuturePilot
February 18th, 2008, 07:41 PM
http://mozillalinks.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/ff3_theme_winxp_integmenu.png

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/ff3_theme_winxp_mainwindow.png

It will :shock:

mech7
February 18th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Does anybody know why my refresh button is so little ?

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1630/screenshotkx4.png

steeleyuk
February 18th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I've been using the nightly's for a few week and it has been nothing but fast and stable.

There's still a few bugs, particularly with the bookmarks but they're being ironed out slowly.

Polygon
February 18th, 2008, 09:35 PM
It will :shock:

no it wont

in linux, it uses your GTK theme and icons. Hence why we dont have that theme right now

and i dont think the windows theme looks that bad, looks pretty neat actually.

And also, firefox 3 is at least twice as fast starting up and loading pages then ff2. There are a bunch of other cool things like tagging bookmarks and all that. I cant wait till final.

Yep, that did the trick indeed. All I'm saying is that they could at least have retained backwards compatibility for profiles, I had to reimport all my bookmarks manually :/

For me at least, it imported my ff2 profile perfectly. But, go to bookmarks > manage bookmarks > export

and it will export a .html file of all your bookmarks which you can reimport to another firefox or whatever. Only thing you need to do is just copy the bookmark toolbar bookmarks back in the proper folder and your done.

SomeGuyDude
February 18th, 2008, 09:38 PM

No more slow startup.
No more hanging.

If you can tell me how to either get Flash working in 9.25 or make it stop crashing 9.5b you'll be my BEST FRIEND.

phenest
February 18th, 2008, 09:43 PM
It used to ask whether to open the last tabs or start fresh when it started
It no longer prints
My Home button is gone

Polygon
February 18th, 2008, 09:45 PM
ff now uses your gtk icon theme. The icon theme you are using most likely does not have a home icon

At least on windows it asks you if you want to save your tabs. Im not usre if this is a linux version related bug, but at least you can go to edit > preferences and go to 'main' and click 'show my tabs from last time'

and i think printing is a known bug. Thats why its beta 3 ;)

Sunflower1970
February 18th, 2008, 10:03 PM
It used to ask whether to open the last tabs or start fresh when it started
It no longer prints
My Home button is gone

1. Did you look under preferences to see if there's something there to check?
2. Don't know about #2
3. Right click on the toolbar and check Bookmarks toolbar. The Home icon has been moved there. Just open up the Customize....options and move the Home button from the Bookmarks toolbar to where you'd normally like it to be.

HTH

phenest
February 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM
1. Did you look under preferences to see if there's something there to check?
2. Don't know about #2
3. Right click on the toolbar and check Bookmarks toolbar. The Home icon has been moved there. Just open up the Customize....options and move the Home button from the Bookmarks toolbar to where you'd normally like it to be.

HTH

Yes. But that means the same action every time it starts with no choice
Me neither
There is no Home button in Customize, and I cannot move it from Bookmarks

spupy
February 18th, 2008, 10:16 PM
In Firefox 3.0b3 the drop-down address bar always shows some addresses i visited 4 months ago... on a different operating system. :shock:
There are some other issues that bother me a lot, with plugins particularly. I think i will now go back to FF2. But when 3 is finished and there are no such rough edges and the plugins work with it, i will switch then.
EDIT: Actually, i just tried FF2, and immediately remembered why i switched: font rendering in my FF2 sux...

Istonian
February 18th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Very fast and stable for me also. Absolutely zero crashes.

moore.bryan
February 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM
has anyone figured-out how to turn-off the bookmark/history search when something is typed into the location bar? i know the developers are touting that as a great thing, but i hate it.

billgoldberg
February 18th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I've been using it and the eyes gets a bit more than they did in ff2.

It still crashes with flash content.

I did notice a slightly faster loading time when browsing.

Sunflower1970
February 19th, 2008, 01:09 AM
There is no Home button in Customize, and I cannot move it from Bookmarks

Try this: with the Customize menu open and the bookmarks toolbar showing, move your cursor up to the Home icon and a little hand will appear. Just hold down the left mouse button and move it from the bookmarks toolbar to wherever you want.

Wiebelhaus
February 19th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Yea , It blew chunks on my Linux box but it runs hella fast on my TinyXP VM , Looking forward to the stable release.

SomeGuyDude
February 19th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Swiftweasel's b3 is up now, for all interested. Sweetness.

graabein
February 19th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Yikes! That is ugly. I hope it uses GTK and icons on Linux.

I thought Opera was open source... Think I'll stay with Firefox then.

SomeGuyDude
February 19th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Yikes! That is ugly. I hope it uses GTK and icons on Linux.

I thought Opera was open source... Think I'll stay with Firefox then.

It does. Same icons as it had the last time around for me. I tossed LittleFox on it and now we're golden.

mech7
February 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Does anybody have flash plugin working on FF ?

Sunflower1970
February 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Yes, I do.

I don't use the plugin from the repos, I use the one from Adobe. All of this takes place in my /home folder, so I can have FF 3 and FF 2 side-by-side and use Flash with both of them too.

~LoKe
February 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I can't stand the url history bar. It's the most annoying thing about FF right now. I type in "de" for DeviantArt and the first result is http://whatever.com/index.php o_O

Also, typing in google.com sometimes takes me to gmail. =/

phenest
February 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Try this: with the Customize menu open and the bookmarks toolbar showing, move your cursor up to the Home icon and a little hand will appear. Just hold down the left mouse button and move it from the bookmarks toolbar to wherever you want.

Strange. That method works today, but didn't when I first mentioned it.

lespaul_rentals
February 19th, 2008, 06:16 PM

No more slow startup.
No more hanging.

+1

Sunflower1970
February 19th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I can't stand the url history bar. It's the most annoying thing about FF right now. I type in "de" for DeviantArt and the first result is http://whatever.com/index.php o_O

I hate that too. There is a way to change it back, but I don't know if it's in about:config or a plugin...:(

BDNiner
February 19th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Does FF3 handle flash better in linux? that is the major problem with FF in linux for me. flash intensive pages don't load properly or take a really long time. i feel that it is every browser based on netscape in linux. Swiftfox and the "ice" version of firefox also do the same thing. Opera handles flash the best so far in linux, and is a much better browser with better features, but it is slow dog slow that i could not stand it.

Sunflower1970
February 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Haven't had a problem with FF in either 2 or 3..but I've been downloading Flash from Adobe's site instead of from the repos...

ETA: the addressbar/url history bar. I found it. It's a plugin called oldbar. Here it is:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6227
:)

SomeGuyDude
February 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Am I the only one who likes the URL bar? Combined with the speed-dial extension and I don't even need bookmarks.

Sunflower1970
February 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I just can't get used to it. When I know a URL and begin typing it in, I expect to see a list of URL's not everything and anything that has that particular word in it, like CNN. I have CNN in my google reader, but when I go to type in CNN in the address bar, I get every CNN entry from my google reader, or where it was mentioned somewhere and I have to search for the particular CNN link sometimes having to scroll way, way down to find the exact one I want.

Another minor rant with the awesomebar (I think that's what FF is calling it) The font is annoying. I know that can be corrected somewhere in the userChrome files (?) but why can't that be in the Preferences/Options? And why not an option to have it turned on and off in the Preferences/Options

I may try again to figure it out, but right now I don't find it useful at all. I think there needs to be some major tweaking to it. (yeah, yeah, yeah, Beta, I know, later versions will be cleaned up...I won't go back to using FF 2 though because FF 3 is much more responsive on all my computers so I'll deal with it.)

I agree about speed dial. I absolutely :heart: it. One extension I can't do without :) I really don't use bookmarks any more either. Speed dial and all my bookmarks are on my iGoogle page since I traverse many different computers I need to have an online place for all my bookmarks :)

lespaul_rentals
February 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Why does everyone call Firefox "FF"? The official abbreviation is "FX."

SomeGuyDude
February 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I've noticed there is a heirarchy to it, and I think it's organized by what pages you visit more often. For example, if I type "gnome" into mine, I get "gnome-look.org" as my top, none of the pages on it. If I type "ubuntu", I get the community cafe because I surf this board more than any of the other pages.

Over time, I think, it gets to "know" you.

Occasionally Correct
February 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM
You can make the results for the awesomebar less noisy by setting browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped to true in about:config.

Overall it's been more useful to me, but it took a little while to get used to. I definitely don't use the search bar as much anymore as a way to get to pages I hadn't bothered bookmarking. :p

Bou
February 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, could I get your opinion about this suggestion?

rename the star - it doesn't actually bookmark pages (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=629962)

Crashmaxx
February 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I'm actually using the SwiftFox version of the beta 4 and it is pretty cool. A lot of things have improved. I just wish my del.icio.us toolbar would work, or better yet, they allowed the standard bookmarks to be linked to sites like del.icio.us.

But the Awesome bar has made up for it for now. I just type in the site I want and it comes right up.

When will the stable release come out? I just want the bugs worked out and the extensions to get updated.

mech7
February 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Haven't had a problem with FF in either 2 or 3..but I've been downloading Flash from Adobe's site instead of from the repos...

ETA: the addressbar/url history bar. I found it. It's a plugin called oldbar. Here it is:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6227
:)

how do you install that ? with me it keeps asking for that plugin

Sunflower1970
February 19th, 2008, 09:43 PM
how do you install that ? with me it keeps asking for that plugin

I just clicked on the big green install button and it started the install process...At the moment, though, I'm at work and using the Windows version of Firefox3....I'm hoping it's not just for Windows. I was looking forward to installing it tonight on all my machines... :(

mech7
February 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I just clicked on the big green install button and it started the install process...At the moment, though, I'm at work and using the Windows version of Firefox3....I'm hoping it's not just for Windows. I was looking forward to installing it tonight on all my machines... :(

I only get a tar.gz file i think it needs to be compiled for linux first? Through the plugin manager it does not work... also did anybody got quicktime movies working ?

SomeGuyDude
February 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I'm actually using the SwiftFox version of the beta 4 and it is pretty cool. A lot of things have improved. I just wish my del.icio.us toolbar would work, or better yet, they allowed the standard bookmarks to be linked to sites like del.icio.us.

But the Awesome bar has made up for it for now. I just type in the site I want and it comes right up.

When will the stable release come out? I just want the bugs worked out and the extensions to get updated.

If it weren't for the 10 or 11 incompatible extensions I'd love to mess with it.

However, without my download statusbar, adblock, speed dial, and a few other odds and ends I just can't hack it.

Sunflower1970
February 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I only get a tar.gz file i think it needs to be compiled for linux first? Through the plugin manager it does not work... also did anybody got quicktime movies working ?
Weird. Will have to see what happens on my boxes when I get home from work...

mech7
February 19th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Weird. Will have to try to install it when I get home from work...

Ok i got it to work with the plugin from ff2...

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so /usr/lib/firefox-3.0-3.0b3pre/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so

Then it works again :).. but umm does anybody know how to get it to work with video.. if i do the same for the totem plugin then it will crash on a video :(

karlo
February 19th, 2008, 10:47 PM
It seems to be much faster than Firefox 2 for me. However, fonts render awfully on my LCD where they render wonderfully everywhere else. (and in FF2)

Try installing the Microsoft fonts on Ubuntu.

karlo
February 19th, 2008, 10:49 PM
It's been running brilliantly. The only qualm i've had is that when i installed it over my 3.0b2 install, I lost my forward/back buttons, which was fixed just by deleting the localstore.rdf file in my profile ;)
To get most of my plugins running, iI just downloaded the xpi files and edited the install.rdf file ;)
works great!

What do you mean, you modified all of the plugins so that it will work with the current beta version of Firefox?

karlo
February 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I've been using the nightly's for a few week and it has been nothing but fast and stable.

There's still a few bugs, particularly with the bookmarks but they're being ironed out slowly.

I am using the Swiftweasel 3 BETA 3 version..

So, what do you think, should I go for the nightly builds or the trunk versions?

[censored]
February 19th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I too have found FF3 beta 3 to be a bit quicker on my humble Celeron 2800 with 1gig RAM. But I suspect that's only because half my plugins don't work with it.

I think that since version 1.5, firefox has become bloatware, and should be punished. I would happily use IceApe instead, but I need the ability to block flash animation (those little ads p--- me off!).

karlo
February 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
If you can tell me how to either get Flash working in 9.25 or make it stop crashing 9.5b you'll be my BEST FRIEND.

Me too, i've had the same problem. I researched, and they told me that installing Opera 9.5 beta, will fix the problems, now I close my 9.5 while there are pages, which means when launching Opera, those pages will load again.

then I installed Opera 9.5, launched, and poof, it crashed!!! I remembered there was a video youtube was playing before I close the browser!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar4bW57-QBI

SomeGuyDude
February 19th, 2008, 10:56 PM
;4364372']I too have found FF3 beta 3 to be a bit quicker on my humble Celeron 2800 with 1gig RAM. But I suspect that's only because half my plugins don't work with it.

I think that since version 1.5, firefox has become bloatware, and should be punished. I would happily use IceApe instead, but I need the ability to block flash animation (those little ads p--- me off!).

Swiftweasel 3.0b3 is damn good on the resources over here. I'm using around 88mB of RAM which is low as heck for having a bunch of tabs open and 15 extensions installed.

Opera 9.5b1 on the other hand is a MESS on my resources. I open 'er up and within 10 minutes I'm using over 50% of my memory. Considering I have 2gB, that's something to keep an eye on.

phenest
February 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM
It keeps quitting on me, won't let me switch tabs, history and bookmarks keep disappearing....

I hope the final release is more stable. When is that?

moore.bryan
February 20th, 2008, 07:05 PM
It keeps quitting on me, won't let me switch tabs, history and bookmarks keep disappearing....

I hope the final release is more stable. When is that?
i had some issues with ff3b3, but am running what seems to be a much-more-stable ff3b4 minefield; maybe give that a try?

[censored]
February 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Swiftweasel 3.0b3 is damn good on the resources over here.

Thanks for the tip! I downloaded and installed swiftweasel 2.0.0.6pre-073007 for pentium 4, It's about as quick as I think a browser should be. Big improvement on the standard i386 build of firefox that comes in the repos.

divindavid
February 22nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
hey inverseroom i live in upstate NY too i live in clifton park/halfmoon how weird is that

Darkhack
February 22nd, 2008, 11:27 PM
It's been running brilliantly. The only qualm i've had is that when i installed it over my 3.0b2 install, I lost my forward/back buttons, which was fixed just by deleting the localstore.rdf file in my profile

You don't even have to go to the trouble of finding and deleting files. Just right click the toolbar, select customize, and drag the back/forward buttons on to the toolbar.

bobbocanfly
February 22nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
I am loving the current Hardy Firefox 3 (Beta 3 im guessing). More stable than the alphas i tried (obviously) and just seems much lighter :D

It even took my settings from my stable home partition and converted them into FF3 settings :D

icechen1
February 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Just enable gusty-backport in software sources and install it.Look good,CPU usage significantly improved but too bad Google toolbar is not available yet.

SomeGuyDude
February 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
Just enable gusty-backport in software sources and install it.Look good,CPU usage significantly improved but too bad Google toolbar is not available yet.

I believe that's a -pre version. You have to download the standard beta 2.

Of course you can get beta FOUR with Swiftfox.

sunexplodes
February 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, seriously. Why is ANYBODY using Firefox over Swiftfox at this point?

icechen1
February 23rd, 2008, 12:22 AM

how?

forrestcupp
February 23rd, 2008, 12:37 AM
how?
Go to their web site (http://getswiftfox.com/) and they give you a repository to add to sources.list.

I just tried Swiftfox out, and I like it a lot. What I like the most is that flashplugin works with it without having to do anything. That's more than I can say for the Firefox3 beta 3-pre that we have in our repos. What I like the least is that there is no Home button. I do wish they would put it in our repos, though.

icechen1
February 23rd, 2008, 01:38 AM
]What I like the least is that there is no Home button.
The fix is there: http://forums.getswiftfox.com/viewtopic.php?p=1013&sid=8e0fdbb72ea0911985f206f5089c7f22

SomeGuyDude
February 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM

A better question is why anyone would use Swiftfox over Swiftweasel. ;)

I have Swiftfox installed, but since it's b4pre not much is compatible, rendering it pretty useless for me right now.

moore.bryan
February 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM

i don't see a swiftfox beta 4, but there is a firefox nightly for beta 4.

me. ff3.0b4 works much faster for me than sf-trunk.

sayakb
February 23rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
I don't like the gnome integration.. the TabScopes come and go in an Airplane manner like my windows and I dont like it :(
How do I disable this integration thingy..??

Perpetual
February 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Unfortunately for me I can not seem to get FF3 to work with Yahoo! Mail. :( Haven't had a lot of time to screw with it but I have seen some other bug reports regarding this problem.

chris200x9
February 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
FF2 kept messing up webpages because of my gnome theme, when I downloaded FF3 and realized it didn't screw up the text of webpages I was so happy :)

moore.bryan
February 23rd, 2008, 08:33 PM
has anyone figured-out how to turn-off the bookmark/history search when something is typed into the location bar? i know the developers are touting that as a great thing, but i hate it.

I hate that too. There is a way to change it back, but I don't know if it's in about:config or a plugin...:(

i've found the solution to all of our problems... it lays in one of the about:config keys titled "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults." the default setting is "25;" set it to "0" and no url history/boomark search! you can also set it to less than "25" and shorten the list a bit. cheers!

forrestcupp
February 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
I just tried Swiftfox out, and I like it a lot. What I like the most is that flashplugin works with it without having to do anything. That's more than I can say for the Firefox3 beta 3-pre that we have in our repos. What I like the least is that there is no Home button. I do wish they would put it in our repos, though.

I didn't know that Swiftfox isn't open source. I guess it will never be in the repos because of that. I just tried out Swiftweasel, which is pretty much the same thing only open source. I like Swiftweasel just as much, so I'll use it because it's free. But you can't get v.3 from their repos, you have to install a deb.

sunexplodes
February 26th, 2008, 06:12 AM
A better question is why anyone would use Swiftfox over Swiftweasel. ;)

I have Swiftfox installed, but since it's b4pre not much is compatible, rendering it pretty useless for me right now.

You can make MOST extensions work by adding "extensions.checkCompatibility" and setting it to true in about:config. This works for me with Adblock, Flashblock, StumbleUpon, Stylish, and Personal Menu, which are the only extensions I care to use anyway.

Go to their web site (http://getswiftfox.com/) and they give you a repository to add to sources.list.

The Home Button is in the Sidebar now, for some reason, but it can be dragged back on to the main toolbar. Easy as pie.

macogw
February 26th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Unfortunately for me I can not seem to get FF3 to work with Yahoo! Mail. :( Haven't had a lot of time to screw with it but I have seen some other bug reports regarding this problem.

Yeah, Yahoo Mail Beta's Javascript is broken really badly and they don't seem to care to fix it. Just use Mail Classic.

Perpetual
February 29th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Since I complained in my last post in this thread that FF3B3 wasn't working with Yahoo! Mail, I can confirm that the nightlybuild as of 2/28/08 is working now with Yahoo! Mail.

forrestcupp
February 29th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I'm using Swiftweasel 3 Beta 3, which should be set up the same as FF3.

So where in the world is the option to organize bookmarks? It's crazy to not have that. I know they're working on drag-n-drop functionality, but it doesn't work. I need my 'Organize Bookmarks'.

fluteflute
March 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'm using Swiftweasel 3 Beta 3, which should be set up the same as FF3.

So where in the world is the option to organize bookmarks? It's crazy to not have that. I know they're working on drag-n-drop functionality, but it doesn't work. I need my 'Organize Bookmarks'.
In Firefox 3 it's Bookmarks -> Show All Bookmarks.

crush304
March 2nd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah, Yahoo Mail Beta's Javascript is broken really badly and they don't seem to care to fix it. Just use Mail Classic.

from what i've read, yahoo has a fix for it but they haven't released it yet

mech7
March 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
from what i've read, yahoo has a fix for it but they haven't released it yet

its fixed allready...

crush304
March 4th, 2008, 05:10 AM
its fixed allready...

wow, thanks i hadn't tried in a while

macogw
March 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Works now, at least in Hardy.