PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's Google Earth. Don't you feel betrayed?

Sirin
September 28th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Google has launched the Google Earth service, where you can (could) get satellite images from all over the planet; but look at this from the FAQ:

5. Will my computer be able to run Google Earth?
Google Earth takes advantage of the 3D graphics capabilities standard on most PCs. If you are using Google Earth on an older machine, or a notebook computer that does not have 3D graphics capabilities, you may not be able to run the application. We currently do not offer a Macintosh version of Google Earth.
Let's see what we can get from that text:
1- PCs and Windows are the same; you don't even need to mention the Windows Word.
2- But if by any chance you can't use it, maybe it is because you have some old hardware.
3- And if there is any other option, that would ONLY be Macintosh. And they are clear: it won't work.
4- Linux doesn't even exist to be denied.
That would be OK from any Microsoft paper, but it is SO BAD to see that coming from Google.
How many people has google's logo in their sites, from the time when they were nothing, and now we see this happening...
They could:
1- Offer the service on-line, so it won't depend on the OS;
2- Open the code, so people would DO it for them, by free, and it would even work better, even the version for the other system.
Some time ago this kind of thing was just like a marketing war... but now it is close to become discrimination.
A Company can of course choose not to spend money with minorities, but today, in Computerland, they don't necessarily need to, like in this case.
The feel is something like: "Someone is paying them to NOT let me use the service and, what is ten times worse, THEY ARE ACCEPTING!!!"
They think they are winning more, when they close the doors to millions of Penguinistas.
And yes, we do are millions, and we should show them what we think about that kind of attitude.
What do you think about it?

Stormy Eyes
September 28th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I don't feel betrayed, so why should I care? Google's in business to make a profit, remember? If it is not profitable for them to go to the trouble of ensuring that Google Earth works on non-Windows systems, then it is not reasonable to ask that they risk the health of their business to cater to your ideals.

matthew
September 28th, 2005, 10:05 PM
If I were actively looking for a reason to be offended I might feel betrayed. The fact is, Google can do whatever they want. It's their business. You are free to use what they offer if you like it or if it works for you or you can choose to adapt so that you can use what they offer if it is important enough for you. Google does not OWE linux users anything. I would like to see Google Earth ported to linux and I find it a little disappointing that even though the Google servers run linux many of their services are not available for linux. Even so, it's their business, they can do what they want...that's what freedom means, and that's why I have no reason whatsoever to be offended, betrayed, or anything else other than perhaps disappointed about Google Earth not working on linux.

Cirkus
September 28th, 2005, 10:42 PM
No; I think that it's much more of a problem how they've got a lock on the world's largest usenet archives and don't even put a good majority of them online (eg, try browsing some of the comp.unix groups before 1990).

Google maps is questionably useful fluff; usenet is history - and google is the only one with a complete archive of it.

earobinson
September 28th, 2005, 11:00 PM
true but when talking about the usnet archives they do link to many linux posts http://earobinson.blogspot.com/2005/09/tech-google-usenet-timeline.html

UbuWu
September 28th, 2005, 11:00 PM
There are enough alternatives: worldwind, worldwind 2d (also for linux), earth3d, google maps...

liquidtenmillion
September 28th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Google didn't make the software though, they purchased it from another company.

Software that google makes itself will have linux support.

Kvark
September 28th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Betrayed? No, not at all. They are not required to be loyal to the linux users or something. It's their choice which platforms to focus on.

Ignored? Yes, just as ignored as when many hardware manufacturers and almost the entire gaming sector also ignores the desktop linux users. Guess we are still too few compared to the Windows users to be worth the effort.

macgyver2
September 29th, 2005, 12:13 AM
I echo what those above said about this being Google's choice as a private business. Am I disappointed? Yes. But remember a couple things. First, if there's enough demand, there will usually be supply. Try emailing them. once they get enough requests they might release a version for Linux. Second, three words...Summer of Code. Introducing students to open-source development gets a lot of points in my book.

Qrk
September 29th, 2005, 01:56 AM
And don't forget that Google offers a Linux specific search site... thats rather nice of them.

Curlydave
September 29th, 2005, 04:20 AM
And dont' forget that Google uses Linux for their servers.