PDA

View Full Version : my neighbours internet is faster that my own

barbedsaber
February 18th, 2008, 10:19 AM
and they have wifi :-k hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:-$ shhhhhhhhhhh

Toffeeapple
February 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Those damn Joneses.. it's just impossible keeping up with them these days..

stoodleysnow
February 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I live on a cul de sac of 5 houses, amid a housing estate of about 200 houses. Our internet is AOL :-( ADSL over ordinary phone wire, we pay for Up to 2MB, are told to expect 1MB and only get an average of 448k. Our neighbour to the left has Orange ADSL over ordinary phone wire, she pays for up to 2MB, is told to expect that and gets an average of 1.5MB. Our neighbour to the left has TalkTalk ADSL over ordinary phone wire, she pays for up to 8MB, is told to expect 2MB and only gets 1MB. Our friend down the road to the North has Phone Coop ADSL over ordinary phone wire, he pays for up to 2MB and usually gets 2MB. Our friend down the road to the South has two houses next to each other. I think one has either TalkTalk or BT, is meant to be up to 8MB and comes in at average 1.5MB and the other (new build) house has BT, is meant to be up to 8 MB and comes in at an average of 330k; both connections over ordinary phone line.
We are all on the same hillside, roughly equidistant from the Todmorden exchange. In fact the new house is probably the nearest, and ours in the middle. Our friend along the road to the North is the furthest.
Why then does the same bundle of phone wires in the same pipe underground have so much variation in capabilities?
And why does the newest house have the slowest connection?
The rest of the houses on the estate are 1960's, but the new one was built last year.
:confused::confused:
Are the ISPs to blame, BT or the hardware?
How can we solve this strange situation?
PS. Stealing WIFI is not a sensible option, the signals don't reach far enough (big gardens).

forrestcupp
February 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM
and they have wif :-k hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well, if you mean 'wifi' and you're thinking about tapping into it, just be careful not to get caught. In some countries that can get you prison time.

Bartender
February 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks, forest, for clearing that up. I thought 'wif' was some sort of sexual thing.

No, my mind isn't in the gutter :)

barbedsaber
February 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM
you prison time.

:shock::eek:

ok using my internet seems like a good idea O:)

Xbehave
February 18th, 2008, 05:42 PM
using an open wireless network that doesnt ask you not too is quite hard to get caught,

And if its open then why would anybody arrest you before asking you to stop?

tdrusk
February 18th, 2008, 05:58 PM
If there is any problem just say you thought it was your wireless connection.

argie
February 18th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Just saying, if it's WEP, leave it alone. That's about as close as you get to a door slammed in your face. Sure you can hack it easily, but that's just not showing any social sense whatsoever.

Æniad
February 18th, 2008, 07:07 PM
:shock::eek:

ok using my internet seems like a good idea O:)

It's not illegal in the US. If they're too stupid to secure their network they deserve to have people leech off of them.
http://www.slate.com/id/2109941/

corney91
February 18th, 2008, 08:11 PM
It's not illegal in the US. If they're too stupid to secure their network they deserve to have people leech off of them.
Isn't that like saying 'if you're stupid enough to walk across a road without looking you deserve to get hit by a car'?

fatality_uk
February 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM

In the UK you can be arrested for it. There have been a few arrests, not sure of the follow up, i.e. prison time for it!!! Better Google that one before you embark on any course of action!

steeleyuk
February 18th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Are the ISPs to blame, BT or the hardware?
How can we solve this strange situation?

Its usually to do with the length of wire between your house and the exchange. Some houses can be closer to an exchange than others and have longer pieces of wire.

I've even heard stories of houses which are pretty much right next to their nearest exchange however when the phone line was put in, the wire was a couple of miles in length.

Because the telephone infrastructure is so old, its impossible to tell where those wires run to.

Kernel Sanders
February 18th, 2008, 09:46 PM
"Do not covet thy neighbours fast internet connection"

I read that somewhere! :lol:

tdrusk
February 19th, 2008, 04:31 AM
"Do not covet thy neighbours fast internet connection"

I read that somewhere! :lol:
Ubuntu Christian Edition?

Æniad
February 19th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Isn't that like saying 'if you're stupid enough to walk across a road without looking you deserve to get hit by a car'?

Except for the fact that you're not hurting them. If you're just that up tight don't download excessive amounts of stuff off of their connection.

In the UK you can be arrested for it. There have been a few arrests, not sure of the follow up, i.e. prison time for it!!! Better Google that one before you embark on any course of action!

Doesn't your neighbor have to figure out your doing it? Remember it's only illegal if you get caught. If your neighbor cares that much he should secure his network.

fenian
February 19th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Actually it is illegal in many US states ,here is a link to the Michigan law (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(wtiak2fh3fm2ly45erauio45))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-752-795)most other states have similiar legislation under which you could be charged.While most people who piggyback wifi don't do it to conduct malicious activity there are certainly people who seek out open wifi connections to use in malicious schemes.

vouri
October 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Illegal well I did not ask my neighbor to send the signal thru my living room did I. I feel any signal that zips thru the living room is fair game. Turkeys are the same..... if they walk thru the yard. Use safeguards....... do not tempt peeps.... unsecured signals like I say are fair game..... Go to jail Well, three hots and a cot is not bad... The judge would dismiss believe me..... aid:P

overdrank
October 15th, 2009, 10:24 PM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5451/necromancing.jpg