PDA

View Full Version : Help me out, post your opinion.

Shadyjames
February 18th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Hey i'm currently doing a website analysis for ITS (subject at school), on this very website, ubuntuforums.org, and our teacher insists we have to have a quantitative criteria for every aspect of the site, and this is where you come in .
Things like colour scheme, elegance and aesthetics are impossible to measure (golden ratio notwithstanding), so i'm relying on you, the community to give me your opinions on the website, which i can then tally up at the end and use the responses in my analysis. Your response could be an essay about the pros and cons, or just two words saying "I approve/disapprove", but every response helps.
Get cracking!

gn2
February 18th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Quite simply this website, ubuntuforums.org is utterly fabulous.
Simple, stylish and functional, it's easily the best laid out forum website I've ever used.

But the best bit are the members themselves, on every occaision when I have needed help I have found it here, even for Windows related topics in the past before I went Linux only.

SomeGuyDude
February 18th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Pros:

- Color scheme that matches the subject matter
- Well-moderated, keeping threads on topic and moving things around appropriately
- The community is incredibly helpful (biggest thing)
- Intuitive setup, easy to figure out.

Cons:

- Censored a bit much. I'd at least like ONE area where I don't have to be so careful. I'm an adult, sometimes I use "dirty words" and say off-color things.
- Being unable to change my little tagline is stupid, in my opinion.
- I dislike having to click on a post to "quick reply" to before being able to actually do it. Removes the "quick" aspect if we're adding clicks, here.

Just for starters.

Raven_Oscar
February 18th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I am agree with all pros mentioned by SomeGuyDude. Especially if we are speaking about design of the site.
As for me moderation seems to be quite loyal to users.

Bartender
February 18th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I like the little extras -
-The "Search" function lets you search your own posts and threads.
-When you start to post a new question it'll try to pull up some similar threads (actually worked for me to find answers that were already out there).
-It's quick to load on dial-up.

Best forum I know of.

billgoldberg
February 18th, 2008, 05:05 PM
pro:

- the content
- community
- relative high number of posts get answered
- website always loads fast
- "feels proffesional"
- besides it being an OS forum there are also offtopic sub-forums
- color scheme matches the OS colour scheme (a bit)

cons:
- a bit to much censorship
- search funtion sucks, googling question+ ubuntuforums is better (but when you ask your question, the things you are looking for do come up)
- some posts never get solved or way to late

Shadyjames
February 21st, 2008, 02:25 AM
All gold, thanks, keep em coming

Bump too >=D

freemanstuff
April 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
This is a great forum!!

There are other like it at
http://freeesstuff.com/

or

<a href="http://freeesstuff.com/">http://freeesstuff.com/</a>