PDA

View Full Version : Earthbound: Looking back to look forward

cprofitt
February 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM
When I was a wee lad Kirk's Star Trek was a popular show. I imagined that I would grow up and man would have found his way to the stars; not the moon, but beyond.

Here I sit today listening to Floyd's Learning to Fly from A Momentary Lapse of Reason and the reflections of the past shine a light on just how far man has yet to go. I now know, painfully, that man will not reach the stars before I die. I am left wondering how many of my fellows have looked back to see forward and found the progress lacking.

bobbybobington
February 17th, 2008, 09:43 PM
perhaps we should colonize earth before we colonize other planets. Really, Earth is an amazing place, most of us just take it for granted.

cprofitt
February 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM
perhaps we should colonize earth before we colonize other planets. Really, Earth is an amazing place, most of us just take it for granted.

Certainly brining civilization to Wisconsin would be an accomplishment. :)

(FYI -- my relatives live in Wisconsin and my parents were born and raised there so I am busting being humorous not insulting)

bobbybobington
February 18th, 2008, 12:36 AM
well we do have Milwaukee thats pretty civili... oh wait nevermind :) So I guess that just leaves Madison.

cprofitt
February 18th, 2008, 01:15 AM
The Ratskeller makes Madison, heh?

k2t0f12d
February 18th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I am left wondering how many of my fellows have looked back to see forward and found the progress lacking.

There is currently no incentive for those with the power to advance space exploration to do so. Currenly, the ruling classes across the world depend on the scarcity of valuable commodities and resources, and the propertization of culture, idea, and information in order to ensure their wealth and position. If humanity were able to tap into the vast amount of raw material and energy available even within our own solar system, the scarcity of commodity would vanish.

We should, if interested, develop a list of things that must be achieved in order to be capable of spaceflight and exploration. I have a couple ideas to start with.

Curb the concept of Intellectual Property, and scale back the terms of copyright and patent in order to revitalize the advancement of science and the useful arts.
Discontinue use of fossil fuel.
Convert the current power grid over to solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal forms of energy.
Encourage and subsidize personal energy generation through any practical combination of the above, by region and availability.
Decentralize the distribution of energy as outlined the above and discard the current forms of distribution of energy.
Increase the availablitiy of education through free information.