PDA

View Full Version : Laptop users, do you use a mouse???

pjalegria
February 17th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hi

Laptop users, do you need a mouse or do you use touchpad???

markp1989
February 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM
i use touchpad

cprofitt
February 17th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I use the 'stick' on my Thinkpad and hate the touch pad. On my TC there is not touch pad and I use the stick.

steveneddy
February 17th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I hate synaptic touchpad unless there is no other option, like when I'm in bed late at night.

I use a Logitech Bluetooth mouse.

argraff
February 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I don't have a stick. :( I use the touchpad when I'm traveling, but if I'm at home I'm using my wacom pen!

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I use the 'stick' on my Thinkpad and hate the touch pad. On my TC there is not touch pad and I use the stick.

It is called a "TrackPoint", in case you didn't know it had a name.

I use a mouse on my ThinkPad.

SunnyRabbiera
February 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM

I really hate those track points, always gave me a sore finger.
I much rather use a touchpad or a mouse

amazingtaters
February 17th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I use a Logitech MX400 on my Acer. The touchpad only gets used when the mouse isn't an option, like in bed or in the car.

spamzilla
February 17th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I use a logitec trackball mouse because I hate touchpads.

Kernel Sanders
February 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I use a mouse with my Dell XPS M1330 :)

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I really hate those track points, always gave me a sore finger.

They shouldn't, they don't move. Maybe you are pressing harder than it needs.

Jay Jay
February 17th, 2008, 07:50 PM
My main laptop has both the touchpad and trackpoint but I prefer to use a mouse on the whole.

Gigamo
February 17th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I seldomly use the touchpad, mostly use a mouse, and even then. Awesome WM allows me to do nearly everything with the keyboard, reaching out to the mouse is a drag. :D

FurryNemesis
February 17th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I have a lovely synaptics touchpad, but also a simple laser mouse plugged in. I use both interchangeably - the touchpad when I'm travelling/somewhere where I can't use the mouse and the mouse for things like Tremulous, Wesnoth and browsing.

SunnyRabbiera
February 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
They shouldn't, they don't move. Maybe you are pressing harder than it needs.

Not with my old thinkpad, that thing never worked unless you put a lot of pressure on it.
Though I miss that thinkpad, I sold it with ubuntu on it to a friend.

PurposeOfReason
February 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I use a mouse when I'm at home, otherwise it is all about the touchpad. I have the touchpad set up so it is more sensitive and the bottom left is right click, top left is middle. It's an ALPS so it's kind of a bummer that I can't two finger tap? :(

FuturePilot
February 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Wireless mouse :)

intense.ego
February 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I use a Logitech MX400 on my Acer. The touchpad only gets used when the mouse isn't an option, like in bed or in the car.

Using the computer while driving. Interesting concept.

I use a USB mouse when at home. When on the move I constantly switch between the TrackPoint and the touchpad.

rok3
February 17th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I use my trackpoint for cursor control and my touchpad for scrolling. I love Thinkpads. :)

EXCiD3
February 17th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Lol i use an external keyboard, mouse and monitor with my laptop ;)

Arkenzor
February 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I use a USB mouse, but the touchpad is still useful for clicking something in the middle of typing text (and of course for situations where I can't use my mouse).

popch
February 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Mouse, whenever possible. Touchpads, trackpoints, trackballs are much too slow for me. Pens on tablets can be fast but cumbersome. Pen on tablet PC is also nice but tiring. Also, since my hands are not transparent, I have to crane my neck or something to see what's behind my hand, such as the menu I am trying to use.

crisnoh
February 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I despise the touchpad. I use a full sized mouse whenever possible.

Pekkalainen
February 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Touchpad all the way. I bought a laptop to be portable and carrying a mouse around just makes no sense.

popch
February 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I should have added that I use my laptop in the living room, mostly. Hence the mouse.

Joeb454
February 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I use a mouse whenever I'm at home, and the touchpad when I'm out and about...the less weight to carry the better :)

fedex1993
February 17th, 2008, 09:22 PM

i use my touchpad i wish i had the little stick thing like dell and thinkpads have. I MISS MY THINKPAD :(

Spr0k3t
February 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I've opened my laptop up and removed the ribbon from the motherboard to the touchpad. The reason for this, people in my house like to turn the touchpad on. When I'm at work, I have a wireless mouse that I grab when I need to work on a different system that's not accessible on the net. I hate touchpads when they are located right below the spacebar or anywhere near the keyboard in the same area as where I type. The cat-tongue (track point) is not much better.

corte123
February 18th, 2008, 01:42 AM
trackpoint for me too, on my thinkpad x60 tablet :)

RussellGee
February 18th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I use a touchpad most of the time except for when gaming.

Russell

kool_kat_os
February 18th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I use my laptop as desktop (it wont close) and I use a wireless mouse and keyboard.

koleoptero
February 18th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I use a mouse whenever I'm at home, and the touchpad when I'm out and about...the less weight to carry the better :)

Same here.

julian67
February 18th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I have 2 laptops, a Lenovo Y400 with a touchpad and horrible buttons. I avoid using it if possible. I also have an Asus M5N with a brilliant touchpad, excellent scrolling & well placed buttons, very useable even one handed, and I'm happy using this, though a mouse is what I prefer. I've a couple of very small Logitech mice, one is a laser mouse and works on everything except glass so that goes in my bag whenever I pack a laptop.

White_Panther
February 18th, 2008, 02:02 AM
I carry two mouses to school for my laptop, a wireless (clean) and a wired (cluttered)

savantelite
February 18th, 2008, 02:10 AM
The key to using the toach pad is scrolling with your middle finger and clicking with your index finger. It feels more natural.

tdrusk
February 18th, 2008, 02:57 AM
I use a touchpad.

I dominate it.

Flyingjester
February 18th, 2008, 03:06 AM
mouse whenever possible

tdrusk
February 18th, 2008, 03:13 AM
It was kind of funny when I started using Ubuntu. The touchpad moved SO fast. I decided to stick with it. I can do stuff a lot faster now.

jimrz
February 18th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I use my trackpoint for cursor control and my touchpad for scrolling. I love Thinkpads. :)

+1

gn2
February 18th, 2008, 08:36 AM

They have a few names depending on manufacturer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick#Naming_and_Brands

I mostly use a small mouse with my Toshiba Portege 3440CT in preference to it's Accupoint device.

SomeGuyDude
February 18th, 2008, 09:05 AM
If there were a way to make my damn touchpad use tap zones, locking drags, etc, I'd be less apt to use a mouse.

Also if I could stop it from being so sensitive that even the slightest brush makes it register a "click" whenever I'm typing.

JeffoOfMetal
February 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Touchpad, all the way. Although sometimes it gets a bit pesky.

quinnten83
February 18th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I use a mouse whenever possible.
I was wondering, could the compiz-fusion team actually adapt compiz so that you could use two fingers with the touchpad? so you could sort of use it like you can use an Iphone?
I know they now support a wiimote.

mr.propre
February 18th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I use my touchpad on my thinkpad. I just love it if, the plastic they uses feels really soft if you compare with other laptop touchpads.

One of the reasons I stick with thinkpads.

barbedsaber
February 18th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I go both ways

:lolflag:

soapytheclown
February 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
i hate using the touchpad on all laptops and even refuse to help friends fix bugs on theirs unless they get me a mouse to work with LOL

argie
February 18th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I use a mouse except when I'm travelling or when eating or something. Easier to use left hand for touchpad than mouse.

Lster
February 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I almost always use my mouse because I game quite often and I don't find touchpads suitable for that!

andrewjoy
February 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM

i call them nipples

on my macbook i use the pad on the move and if i am going to use it for a long time at home i use my little usb laptop mouse

on my pc i use my razer dimondback

Linuxratty
February 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I use a Logitech wired mouse and it matches the laptop.(Silver top,black bottom).

jken146
February 18th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Prefer mouse hugely. I spend most of my time on desktops rather than laptops, so maybe that's the reason why, but touchpads do annoy me intensely. I find that a slip of the finger can switch workspaces unintentionally. I just stick to the keyboard anyway, most of the time.

zeller
February 18th, 2008, 12:08 PM
usb wireless mouse from logitech. No track ball. It works beautifully.

AmericanYellow
February 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I use a mouse whenever I can. If I can, I use my touchpad. Its has 3-point recognition so middle clicking and right clicking are easily done. By 3-point i mean it can recognize up to 3-finger inputs a once.

jken146
February 18th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Kb can recognise up to 10 finger inputs at once, plus some toes. :P

LaRoza
February 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
i call them nipples

They have many names, depending on the formality: http://xkcd.com/243/

andrewjoy
February 29th, 2008, 03:10 AM
LMAO thats ace.

I do miss them they where real easy to use IMO and its a shame you dont get them anymore.

asus should have used em on the eeepc imo that touch pad is too small.

reacocard
February 29th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I use a mouse at my desk, trackpoint otherwise.

jpeddicord
February 29th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I can't stand trackpads. If I don't have a mouse, I usually resort to using keyboard shortcuts. :mrgreen: