PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Sharing Fstream

Zeotronic
February 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I've been writing code that stores very related (in fact interdependant) information in different files, the only reason I have it do this is because I wanted the code in different segments that could be accessed by other code... but it just occured to me that I could probably have this code share fstream (actually ifstream and ofstream, not interchangibly mind you) in a fashon similar to this:

void slave(fstream file)
{

}

void master(string filename)
{
fstream file(filename);
if (file.good())
{
//Use file, then...
slave(file);//Let slave use file.
}
}
While I personally suspect this would work, I thought I should make sure, and should check if it would also pass along the current position of the pointer which is used to access information from within the file.

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Wouldn't it make sense to make a class for this?

EXCiD3
February 17th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Correct me if im wrong but this would work, however you will need to pass the fstream by reference I think.

void slave(fstream& file)You will also need to pass a parameter for the position if you are needing it to begin in a certain location.

EDIT: I agree a class would make it much easier for you too.

Zeotronic
February 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Wouldn't it make sense to make a class for this?
You may be right... but I wouldn't know as I have never worked with classes before.

Correct me if im wrong but this would work, however you will need to pass the fstream by reference I think.
Your probably right.

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM
You may be right... but I wouldn't know as I have never worked with classes before.

It is C++ isn't it?

Zeotronic
February 17th, 2008, 05:34 PM
It is C++ isn't it?
Yes. Does my failure to use classes make my code interchangeable with C?

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Yes. Does my failure to use classes make my code interchangeable with C?

fstream is C++ only, and there are other things as well. You can use references like was suggested in C either.