PDA

View Full Version : Donating PC's with Ubuntu.

Presto123
February 17th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I am planning here soon on spending some time fixing up PC's to be used in schools and local families.

I talked with the local recycling/trash center and a fellow that works there told me to talk to him b/c they get a bunch of PC's that are fine. (Rich people just wanting to upgrade their computers.)

Write back to me here if you want to do it in your own area and if there are enough people willing, I may attempt to request a new sub-forum from the moderators for this use.

Your ideas or comments?

Xavieran
February 17th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Sounds like a good idea...would you also install samba for networking with windows and teach people how to use Linux?

Presto123
February 17th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Maybe..if this idea is to fly, I would hope that anyone helping would use their own judgement on what to do here. It all depends on what the person wants to know. This is going to be a basic idea in which we should be sure to let them know that they will need to learn things.

I have NOT personally used Samba, yet, but if it becomes necessary in this idea, I will try to figure it out.

Presto123
February 17th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Anyone else have some comments or ideas?

some_random_noob
February 17th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Anyone else have some comments or ideas?

Um... well, I have a computer donation place where I live. BUT - what's the idea you've got? Are you buying these computers and then donating them with FOSS? Or are you offering to install FOSS on the computers that are being given away?

Presto123
February 17th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Um... well, I have a computer donation place where I live. BUT - what's the idea you've got? Are you buying these computers and then donating them with FOSS? Or are you offering to install FOSS on the computers that are being given away?

No. When people in my surrounding areas get rid of working computers in order to upgrade to new computers, I will get them, fix them up if needed, and install Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu, whatever they can most handle or is needed.

Most likely, I will run an ad for this in my local paper. Being a small area, people are more likely to see that. Also, I will probably create a flier to post in a few places. I know the guy that runs the local computer shop (has a hot/very smart daughter, too...but that's beside the point), so that may be another good place.

Basically, I will say that this is not an ORIGINAL idea by me...I'm wanting to follow what the guy in California (I believe) is doing and having an online community-based interest in this would be cool.

Scarath
February 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
has a hot/very smart daughter

Are you doing all this to impress someone with your big kind philanthropist heart? :oops:

Presto123
February 17th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Are you doing all this to impress someone with your big kind philanthropist heart? :oops:

Shush...no she's never around there anyway. I just thought of it while typing that.

tdrusk
February 18th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I know Ubuntu is good and all, but I doubt it will be fast enough for most computers people are throwing away.

I see these computers as 20 gb hdd pentium 4 128 mb of ram.

Ubuntu will make people install windows.

Presto123
February 18th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I know Ubuntu is good and all, but I doubt it will be fast enough for most computers people are throwing away.

I see these computers as 20 gb hdd pentium 4 128 mb of ram.

Ubuntu will make people install windows.

Xubuntu would work on that computer, no? If that becomes an issue, I have Puppy sitting around here and there are some other programs that some of the moderators are working on that is a small version.

Fact is...if you were receiving a computer absolutely free that is in good working condition, would you really complain? Especially if you couldn't afford to get one on your own?

I think it is best to not worry about the nit-picky stuff and work on the positive aspects of this.

OrangeCrate
February 18th, 2008, 01:15 AM
...Your ideas or comments?

It's a great idea, and one that anyone can do. Personally, I've cleaned up and installed Ubuntu on six older computers that I've then donated to our local high school. They have been highly appreciative, and when I find more boxes, and have the time, I'll do it again...

smartboyathome
February 18th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Xubuntu would work on that computer, no? If that becomes an issue, I have Puppy sitting around here and there are some other programs that some of the moderators are working on that is a small version.

Fact is...if you were receiving a computer absolutely free that is in good working condition, would you really complain? Especially if you couldn't afford to get one on your own?

I think it is best to not worry about the nit-picky stuff and work on the positive aspects of this.

If it has less than 128mbs even Xubuntu won't run on it. :( But there are plenty of other good distros out there for this. :D

plb
February 18th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I brought this idea up a while back only to found out it's already being done! Yep there are a bunch of nerds already putting Ubuntu on old donated computers and giving them away...It started in 1 city over on the west coast I believe but there are a lot more of them now...I forget the site but one of the mods told me about it.

Presto123
February 18th, 2008, 01:20 AM
If it has less than 128mbs even Xubuntu won't run on it. :( But there are plenty of other good distros out there for this. :D

Exactly! Puppy is my second-choice distro and would be fitting for many low-end computers. It's a very usable AND enjoyable distro. You have a choice for Xvesa or Xorg drivers at any time, so several video issues can be solved quickly.

Presto123
February 18th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I brought this idea up a while back only to found out it's already being done! Yep there are a bunch of nerds already putting Ubuntu on old donated computers and giving them away...It started in 1 city over on the west coast I believe but there are a lot more of them now...I forget the site but one of the mods told me about it.

That is great! It's no surprise that it is being done, either. :)

You decided not to do it?

zmjjmz
February 18th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Well, This is exactly what I intend to do with some (namely the ones that aren't barely running DSL =_=) of the computers in my blog! *points shamelessly to sig*
I'd love to see a forum/communtiy made for this, because at my age it'd be kinda hard to get all of this going on my own...

tdrusk
February 18th, 2008, 02:42 AM

Ah okay. I'm glad to you know aren't just putting Ubuntu on it.

brennydoogles
February 18th, 2008, 03:24 AM
That is a great idea. Maybe this could be a charity service run by local/college Linux User Groups. I would be up for it.

raymac46
February 18th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I do this all the time. I suppose I've fixed up and given away 10 older PCs by now.
I usually try to add RAM if I can. A PIII 500 can run Ubuntu OK with 256MB of RAM. If I have a K6-2 or Pentium II I try Xubuntu or Vector Linux.
These machines are OK for general use like Web surfing, email and light office work.
People who have never had a computer before like them and don't mind the fact that they are using Linux.

tdrusk
February 18th, 2008, 03:59 AM
The more I think about this the more I like the idea.

If I were to do it I would do it with puppy linux, since it is a very full distro that runs very fast.

I'm going to fix up some computers and give them away.

Presto123
February 18th, 2008, 04:13 AM
The more I think about this the more I like the idea.

If I were to do it I would do it with puppy linux, since it is a very full distro that runs very fast.

I'm going to fix up some computers and give them away.

I have a feeling that if you went to your recycling center, you might find the same thing as I did here. I know that area and it is very much like here with the rich folks coming up.

zmjjmz
February 18th, 2008, 04:26 AM
>.>...
Maybe I should go to a recycling center...

Presto123
February 18th, 2008, 04:31 AM
>.>...
Maybe I should go to a recycling center...

It's worth a try...I know in GA (At least north GA) the computers just get put off to the side at the recycling centers (Combined recycling/trash dump). They really SHOULD go to the main dump but, I believe these centers are holding them for this kind of purpose and not complaining to the person bringing them in. The guy I talked to said that some of the computers another guy is buying, but he said that he would rather see them be used for this purpose.

zmjjmz
February 18th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Well, where I currently am nobody recycles (ID), so not now...
And the recycling center in Amagansett (The Dump) is a DIY Recycling Center...
so...
Hmmm...

Presto123
February 18th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Well, where I currently am nobody recycles (ID), so not now...
And the recycling center in Amagansett (The Dump) is a DIY Recycling Center...
so...
Hmmm...

Yeah...that's basically what we have here. You bring your trash and they have designated areas for you to recycle stuff in. You might have to watch out, though. If they do it like here at the moment, they just put them in a cage that is covered by a makeshift tin roof...they might be water damaged. I will have to chat with the guy and work something out.

zmjjmz
February 18th, 2008, 04:36 AM
And they save the computers?
How?

Presto123
February 18th, 2008, 04:41 AM
And they save the computers?
How?

Yeah. I'm sure it all depends on what the person running it thinks of computers, I guess. They are just setting them off to the side in those bins or inside. He offered to give me a printer and I might take him up on that for later use.

zmjjmz
February 18th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Found this; might be helpful...
http://earth911.org/electronics/reuse-electronics-through-donation/

Presto123
February 18th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Great link! I went through the school donation link and they have a drop off location for computers in Buford. It's a good 80 minutes to get there, but I go to Buford fairly often to the Mall of GA. If I had several computers, that would be even better.

zmjjmz
February 18th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Watchout for the MARs (Microsoft Authorised Refurbishers).
The second (or third?) link down seems good.

GreyShadow
February 18th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Are you going to teach or help the people who get the free computers?
That can be the most time consuming but rewarding aspect of the donation process.

zmjjmz
February 18th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Actually, this is the place I'd recommend: http://www.recycles.org/index.htm
Because it's the only one that will accept *anything* (electronic related) so long as the donee is willing to accept it.
The others won't let me dump of those 486's I'm stock full of, or are not focused on computing.

zmjjmz
February 18th, 2008, 05:31 AM
That can be the most time consuming but rewarding aspect of the donation process.
The link I just posted encourages donors to 'strike up an e-mail conversation' with them, so it's more personal, and you really do end up teaching them...

Presto123
February 18th, 2008, 05:35 AM

With the schools, I would probably have to "train the trainer" and guide them to the forums. Others, I would probably be limited to what I could do, BUT maybe someone near me with Linux (especially Ubuntu) experience would be willing to take the time to help teach. That much may be a pipe dream, but nice to think about.