PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever used nmap?

bwtranch
February 17th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Hi! I am trying to figure out my ports and I ran across nmap. This seems to be a very powerful tool. I am reading the man pages and just got started. I'm not that great at looking at ports (being open/closed, etc.) and I really need to work on this. Usually comes up when I want to get a bitclient going, and as usual, that's the case.

jinx099
February 17th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I just tried out the new frontend to nmap, I guess they are calling it zenmap now. It's pretty nice, a good upgrade from the old frontend.

I got this in Fedora's repos, you might have to install the new version manually if you're using Ubuntu! :-# (Edit: nm, you're probably using Arch...)

notanatheist
February 17th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Keep in mind quite a few commands will need to be run as root. My most favorite quickie is "nmap -sP 192.168.1.* " as it will list all hosts that are up as well as MAC address and adapter manufacturer. Of course replace the 192.168.1.* with whatever your subnet is.

bwtranch
February 17th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks jinx. Yes, I am using Arch now on this one. Been at it about a week. Like it really well. I'm a Hardy Heron tester and I use that Ubuntu system on the other computer. It's doing really well, too. I guess ijust have luxury type issues. Everything is running so well. If this keeps up, it will put people out from using the forum:)
"Please give me a problem, I have lost my way. Isn't there anybody left out there that has a computer problem?" And a deep voice says, "No, they have all switched to Arch, you are alone."