PDA

View Full Version : Best Video Player

fargus
February 17th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I currently use Ubuntu 7.10 and I was wondering what is the best movie player is.

teamkiller87
February 17th, 2008, 03:54 AM
I've used the default video player, Totem, but I'm a fan of VLC. Very simple interface and hasn't let me down so far... There's a lot more obviously, like xine and MPlayer, but from what I've read online and especially on this forum, most users prefer VLC.

hhhhhx
February 17th, 2008, 04:22 AM
i use xine. :)

SunnyRabbiera
February 17th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I like Xine and smplayer

tango_ninja
February 17th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Totem (default player in Gutsy) is alright if you don't care about poor res. I've found with most of my legacy files (.avi .divx, .asf) totem is blocky and choppy. Not at all the fine move resolution I'm used to.

Xine was my next shot..an OK player with FAR better resolution and picture quality. The downside was that the program ran a bit screwy on my laptop. Controls were sticky and it refreshed on top of my other windows, even when minimised.

RealPlayer/Helix was my next shot, but by default it couldn't play half of my files (couldn't decode). I removed it within minutes of installing...

I settled on VLC as the player of choice. It has great resolution/picture quality, responds well, loads quickly etc. Try it out, it's in the repo's and thus far it works great for me!

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I use Vlc for everything, because it works and I haven't had reason to try others.

Lostincyberspace
February 17th, 2008, 06:02 AM
SMPlayer because it is a full featured MPlayer front end it is the only on the that has the audio track syncing

Kingsley
February 17th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I have no preference, so the default is what I use (Totem). Sometimes I use VLC.

FuturePilot
February 17th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Mplayer. With the proper codecs installed it can play just about everything.

jrusso2
February 17th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Kaffeine or VLC works best for movies.

XVII
February 17th, 2008, 06:26 AM
VLC can play practically anything, play videos while they are still downloading, and it can rip DVDs.

andrew.46
February 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Hi,

I am an immense fan of the commandline mplayer. Imagine your video clips at full screen, repeated 4 times, at half-speed, with sound scaled to match:

$ mplayer -fs -loop 4 -speed .5 -af scaletempo movi.avi

Now tell me that is not cool???

Andrew

linuxisfree
February 17th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Kaffeine or VLC works best for movies.

I Totally agree to that!!! In fact, those are the players that i use:D Definitely worth trying out!

Actually they both work for audio too... Just Love Those Players!

wipeout140
February 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I use VLC for nearly everything

Hells_Dark
February 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
mplayer is my best player ever (with no gui <3 ).
(but I use Totem or VLC for dvds).

phenest
February 17th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Up to now I've been using Mplayer as it was the only one that played videos in the correct aspect ratio. But it seems that gstreamer has at last caught up in Hardy, and all the players display videos correctly.

So now, my favourite is Totem.

Kernel Sanders
February 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
+1 to VLC here

Pekkalainen
February 17th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I want to like VLC, it is feature rich and it plays video very well. But the GUI is slightly buggy. Switching to fullscreen with a keystroke, for example, works very sporadicly and that totally kills it for me. I hate to use the mouse for such a simple task. If they fixed that bug and gave me the option to start videos in 16:10 by default (belive me, I have looked for it) it would be the best videoplayer mankind has ever developed.

Totem is less buggy but image quality pretty much sucks and it cant handle searching within a file very well, the image becomes blocky and the sound gets waaay out of sync. It also has the same deficiency of not being able to play stuff at 16:10 by default, it doesnt even have 16:10, it only has 16:9 :mad:

Mplayer? Well sure if it didnt have a GUI that dates back to 1996.

samwyse
February 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
SMPlayer and Xine (for DVD's and some files that mplayer doesn't like).