PDA

View Full Version : How to keep you desktop the same through multiple installs

Lostincyberspace
February 16th, 2008, 11:53 PM
If you hate having to recreate a good theme or desktop setup just because you need to reinstall, there is a rather simple solution to the problem. and that is create a separate /home partition. and when you reinstall it will keep 90% - 100% of you configurations.

jargs
February 17th, 2008, 01:02 AM
This sounds like a good solution. How do we get ubuntu to recognize that that is the home folder?

gletob
February 17th, 2008, 01:12 AM
it's actually very easy during install have two partitions one partition at the mount point / and one mounted at /home

I find I have to create an extended partition to have my windows dual boot

jpkotta
February 17th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I tried to figure out how to do this on Windows, and it was completely nonintuitive, and I didn't care enough to work through it. I've been using the same /home on Linux since 2004. It just keeps getting copied around. Lately, I've been using Mercurial to track changes to my config files and keep them synced between machines. Since most of my settings are in hand editted text files, this works out really well.

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Well, I just copy the settings from the home directory. I don't store anything in my home directory, besides what is automatically stored there.

plb
February 17th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I've had a separate /home partition for as long as I remember.