PDA

View Full Version : So what's the deal with open office and openoffice.org?

geebob
February 16th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Why is it that someone has Open Office trademarked so the office sweet software has to go with the name oppenoffice.org? Is it some dork who wants the OOo people to shell out cash for the rights to the name or is there actually some product out there that isn't the office suite that we know of, or is there some company or someone out there who has a product in mind and wants to call it open office?

smartboyathome
February 16th, 2008, 11:52 PM
It is because there was already a product called open office, so they had to rename it to openoffice.org.

geebob
February 17th, 2008, 12:07 AM
out of curiosity, what sort of product is it?

koenn
February 17th, 2008, 12:09 AM
http://www.openoffice.nl/

it's a dutch firm that does IT and Office Automation.

geebob
February 17th, 2008, 12:37 AM
well, whoever makes the executive decisions for OOo, I gotta think they can be more creative than just naming the program after the website. they should call it something like opfice or free office. maybe software office or softice. virtual office might be a good one too.

r4ik
February 17th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Open Office is well known and i think they have the perfect name for good software.
No need to change in fact it would be stupid.

ubuntu-freak
February 17th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Open Office is well known and i think they have the perfect name for good software.

Open Office isn't well known, it's some dutch company. However, OpenOffice.org is well known and a very good suite of applications. ;-)

Nathan

Kingsley
February 17th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Open Office isn't well known, it's some dutch company. However, openoffice.org is well known and a very good suite of applications. ;-)

Nathan

I think the guy was referring to OO.o when he said that Open Office is well known.

ubuntu-freak
February 17th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I think the guy was referring to OO.o when he said that Open Office is well known.

Yeah I know. I was doing that typically Brit silly humour. I'm in that kinda mood. ;-)

Nathan

geebob
February 17th, 2008, 04:44 AM

interesting that you didn't use it's name.

point is, what's natural to call it is not it's name. Makes a perfectly good reason to change it.

Open office was recomended to me and I would recomend it to others, but I'm not going to recomend openoffice.org. it's a silly mouthful. It's a website. But what it is called is not technically correct

r4ik
February 17th, 2008, 06:37 AM
It is known as "Open Office" and not as Open Office Org.
Now if you excuse me i am going to try Pardus :)

ubuntu-freak
February 17th, 2008, 06:54 AM
It is known as "Open Office" and not as Open Office Org.
Now if you excuse me i am going to try Pardus :)

The thread was concerning it's "official" name, OpenOffice.org. You can confirm it yourself quite easily. Not that important though. :-)

Nathan

r4ik
February 17th, 2008, 07:05 AM
No it is not i am gonna have a coffee have a nice day !

ubuntu-freak
February 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
No it is not i am gonna have a coffee have a nice day !

Are you joking around or just ignorant? Have a read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openoffice.org).

Nathan