PDA

View Full Version : The End of HD-DVD

kamaboko
February 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Looks like a Blu-Ray came out the victor.

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSL1643184420080216

kamaboko
February 16th, 2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSL1643184420080216

icett
February 16th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Yes true. It seems its the end of HD-DVD and the beginning of the Blu-Ray disk success alongwith the success of hacking, cracking or pirating, whatever it is called of the Blu-Ray disk.

gletob
February 16th, 2008, 07:31 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/16/toshiba-pulling-the-plug-on-hd-dvd-already/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/15/wal-mart-to-officially-discontinue-hd-dvd-sales-by-june/

Crashmaxx
February 16th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I'm glad, I didn't really care who won, but it is nice not to have two redundant formats.

Although, I still don't plan on switching to Blu-Ray anytime soon. I'm just a standard def kind of guy.

toupeiro
February 16th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I admit I'm surprised blue-ray took it, but I am not dissappointed by it. It was a superior format. So was betamax, however it lost out due to the fact that VHS was cheaper. AV is a much bigger deal now than it was then though, so I am glad the superior format was chosen. (Even though I still despise Sony's ethics as a company)

hanzomon4
February 16th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I for one welcome our new 50gb dual layer optical storage disk overlords....

Kernel Sanders
February 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I for one would like to see the end of CD's and DVD's, and instead have everything stored on high capacity flash drives.

If they can come up with a 100GB USB stick that's ultraportable, i'll be as giddy as a schoolgirl.

phrostbyte
February 16th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Blu-ray has some insane DRM and spyware. Imagine buying a DVD today and have your DVD player say something like "This DVD license can't be verified by our servers, you will not be allowed to view this movie." With Bluray stuff like that can be a reality since to play many Bluray discs you are required to have your player hooked up to the Internet. Built in license servers into every movie, and they can also track everything you watch.

Of course this has been mostly cracked and with some effort you actually play BD movies in Linux without the spyware and DRM, but that's another story. :)

Ebuntor
February 16th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Blu-ray has some insane DRM and spyware. Imagine buying a DVD today and have your DVD player say something like "This DVD license can't be verified by our servers, you will not be allowed to view this movie." With Bluray stuff like that can be a reality since to play many Bluray discs you are required to have your player hooked up to the Internet. Built in license servers into every movie, and they can also track everything you watch.

Of course this has been mostly cracked and with some effort you actually play BD movies in Linux without the spyware and DRM, but that's another story. :)

Is that the main reason they're going with Bluray? Or is it also better than HD-DVD for some other (technical) reason?
If it's just for the DRM that's pretty low imo. It's pointless to choose for more Restriction Management since it will always be circumvented and the only people who will suffer from it are the "regular" consumers.

They'd better choose the technically superior option since DRM is pointless as has been shown time and time again.

Anyway I'll get of my soapbox now. ;)

kevdog
February 16th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I hate Sony!

Kernel Sanders
February 16th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Is that the main reason they're going with Bluray? Or is it also better than HD-DVD for some other (technical) reason?
If it's just for the DRM that's pretty low imo. It's pointless to choose for more Restriction Management since it will always be circumvented and the only people who will suffer from it are the "regular" consumers.

They'd better choose the technically superior option since DRM is pointless as has been shown time and time again.

Anyway I'll get of my soapbox now. ;)

It is technically superior.

HD-DVD = 30GB per disk, 15GB per layer.

Blu-Ray = 50GB per disk, 25GB per layer.

Superkoop
February 17th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I for one would like to see the end of CD's and DVD's, and instead have everything stored on high capacity flash drives.

My thoughts exactly.
DVD's and CD's get scratched in my pocket, while my flash drive can go anywhere with me. There have been so many times I have dropped a CD and it's gotten a scratch and I need to get that fixed then. While I have dropped flash drives just as much as CD's and I have yet to have the data on them skip. :P

ubuntoy
February 17th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I hate Sony!

why is that?

drm? spyware? connecting to server and cannot view this movie? do you know what your talking about?

scorp123
February 17th, 2008, 01:35 AM
HD-DVD = 30GB per layer
Blu-Ray = 50GB per layer Wrong. "Per disk" you mean. Not "per layer". for HD-DVD it's 15 GB per layer, and for BlueRay it's 25 GB per layer. That's how you get those numbers, e.g. 1 disc = 2 layers = 2 x 25 GB = 50 GB for a BlueRay disk.

I just read that they are working on a 4-layer BlueRay disk now. That would be nice.

As for DRM and such stuff: HD-DVD had that too, but it's a joke anyway. It won't take too long and this stuff gets cracked again.

hanzomon4
February 17th, 2008, 02:32 AM
why is that?

drm? spyware? connecting to server and cannot view this movie? do you know what your talking about?

Sony is a format/standards ***** and they suck at creating them, umd and artic anyone? As for the DRM I'm not worried I have faith in the techno-geeks.

Kernel Sanders
February 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Wrong. "Per disk" you mean. Not "per layer". for HD-DVD it's 15 GB per layer, and for BlueRay it's 25 GB per layer. That's how you get those numbers, e.g. 1 disc = 2 layers = 2 x 25 GB = 50 GB for a BlueRay disk.

I just read that they are working on a 4-layer BlueRay disk now. That would be nice.

As for DRM and such stuff: HD-DVD had that too, but it's a joke anyway. It won't take too long and this stuff gets cracked again.

Do'h! That's what I meant! :(

oomingmak
February 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I hate Sony!
Me too.

Those proprietary obsessed, consumer-hating, root-kit infecting scumbags will never get a penny out of me.

It's a shame, I was really looking forward to another one of their formats going the way of Betamax, DAT, MiniDisk, SDDS, ATRAC, UMD, Memory Stick, SA-CD .....

Kernel Sanders
February 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Why? When Blu-Ray gets cracked none of that will mater :)

zmjjmz
February 17th, 2008, 04:51 PM
All of my friends agree that optical discs are currently overrated.
A USBHDD would be better.

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Good, I am now going to go make fun of the people who bought HD players

(For those that don't know, Microsoft was backing HD-DVD.)

Kernel Sanders
February 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Computers can boot from a USB drive now can't they?

Can you put Ubuntu on a usb flash drive and have the computer boot from it?

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Computers can boot from a USB drive now can't they?

Can you put Ubuntu on a usb flash drive and have the computer boot from it?

Yes. I have put various Linux distros on flash drive before.

Mateo
February 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Not sure how I feel about this. Overall I do not like Sony or it's line of (ridiculously expensive products), but in this case Blu-Ray is the superior technology and should have won out. I'm just afraid that we're never going to have reasonably priced Blu-Ray players in our house.

Kernel Sanders
February 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Yes. I have put various Linux distros on flash drive before.

Cool, thanks :)

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Cool, thanks :)

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

That should help.

Polygon
February 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM
bluray was already cracked, and you can even play it in linux, abet taking a long time to set it up as you have to manually find the key at the moment, but it still works.

but yay, a format won.

Kingsley
February 17th, 2008, 07:21 PM
My thoughts exactly.
DVD's and CD's get scratched in my pocket, while my flash drive can go anywhere with me. There have been so many times I have dropped a CD and it's gotten a scratch and I need to get that fixed then. While I have dropped flash drives just as much as CD's and I have yet to have the data on them skip. :P

How do you fit CDs and DVDs in your pocket? You must wear very baggy pants.

madsmeg
February 17th, 2008, 07:40 PM
How do you fit CDs and DVDs in your pocket? You must wear very baggy pants.
I actually carry disks around with me in my pockets :p Just not my *** pocket for obvious reasons.

I second the fact that at leat someone won, and i am glad it was blue-ray, as said before, it is the superior product.

Internal Blue-ray drives are already available at round the £100 mark from what i have seen (i thought that was cheap considering DVD players came out at around £400)

Things will come down in price as more people buy.

Mad

el mariachi
February 17th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Saaaaaaaaaaaaay isn't XBOX360 using HD-DVD? what now?:lolflag:

kamaboko
February 17th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Saaaaaaaaaaaaay isn't XBOX360 using HD-DVD? what now?:lolflag:

Yes, and that's why I held off on getting one. Looks like it's going to be PS3 with Yellow Dog Linux.

el mariachi
February 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM
that makes me think... what will happen to 360's upcoming games? will they keep making hd-dvd's just because of the console?

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 08:13 PM
that makes me think... what will happen to 360's upcoming games? will they keep making hd-dvd's just because of the console?

The HD part is an addon. Microsoft actually did plan on Blu-Ray possibly winning.

Quick search for evidence: http://laptoplogic.com/news/detail.php?id=4161

oldb0y
February 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Don't the X360 use DVD's for games?

LaRoza
February 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Don't the X360 use DVD's for games?

They are not HD-DVD though.

Joeb454
February 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Yes the Xbox 360 does use standard DVD's for it's games.

And I bought an HD DVD player the other week (for like < half the retail price though) so at least I'll be able to get LOADS of HD DVD's off ebay really cheap now :D

el mariachi
February 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM
LOADS? ... hummm

Joeb454
February 17th, 2008, 09:42 PM
sure...I think a lot of people will sell them off because HD DVD is dying.

There's 400-500 films out for the format right now I believe, not 100% sure though.

And I'd appreciate it if nobody flame me, these are just my personal opinions

oldb0y
February 17th, 2008, 09:49 PM
They are not HD-DVD though.

My point exactly:D

lyceum
February 18th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I am glad the Blue-ray won for 2 reasons:

1. MS owns HD, and they own too much, which means they can make more things poorly. Sony has been making this type of technology, and they don't seem to stray too far away. MS seems to have its hand in a bit of everything, which makes it harder for MS to make a good product. Sony can make their DRM mistakes, a common business flaw these days, given time it will be corrected by the market (you can see evidence of that now). Also, keep in mind that Sony's PS3 can run Linux, as can MS's X-Box, but MS tries to stop X-Box owners from loading anything but Windows. That gives Sony a big + in my book.

2. I just bought a laptop with a Blue-ray DVD player. I would hate to have waisted my money on the looser. ;)

el mariachi
February 18th, 2008, 07:48 AM
sure...I think a lot of people will sell them off because HD DVD is dying.

There's 400-500 films out for the format right now I believe, not 100% sure though.

And I'd appreciate it if nobody flame me, these are just my personal opinions

sorry that wasn't flaming :p I was trying to say that there aren't that much movies around, but I must be mistaken though, because I live in Portugal and Hi-def isn't something that common here, except for all the incarnations oh "the hitch" xD

Joeb454
February 18th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Sure no worries :)

Though from what I've read HD DVD's are/were region free. Blu-Ray (note Blu-Ray has NO e) disc's aren't from what I've heard.

I know I can buy them from America and play them on my player. Either way I'm not fussed :)

johndc
February 18th, 2008, 01:47 PM
MS seems to have its hand in a bit of everything, which makes it harder for MS to make a good product.

Sony has it's hands in pretty much everything too.

Sure, Sony makes consumer and professional electronics, but they also own:

A major record label
A music publisher
An electronic components manufacturer.
A camera company

Sony is pretty much the Microsoft of the electronics/entertainment world. I'm waiting for the announcement that they've bought Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki, and that all Japanese motorcycles now come with "mega bass".

el mariachi
February 18th, 2008, 05:03 PM

A major record label
A music publisher
A camera company

Sony is pretty much the Microsoft of the electronics/entertainment world. I'm waiting for the announcement that they've bought Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki, and that all Japanese motorcycles now come with "mega bass".
With all due respect, I think you're exaggerating things a bit. Yes it is a huge corp. but I don't believe that would be such a good marketing move.

LaRoza
February 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM
With all due respect, I think you're exaggerating things a bit. Yes it is a huge corp. but I don't believe that would be such a good marketing move.

Sony is evil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal

(They don't do that anymore, but it showed the mindset of the company)

el mariachi
February 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah that was just plain stupidity on their part... did they thought no one would notice??

Joeb454
February 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
More than likely...they also thought thousands of people would turn out to buy PS3's (read: big black overpriced games console) at the Midnight launches.

I don't think Sony tend to have the greatest forsight ;)

Polygon
February 18th, 2008, 09:42 PM
the funny thing is right now, the ps3 is one of the cheaper or cheapest blu ray disc players out there.

el mariachi
February 18th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Maybe that insight thing isn't all right hehe
(although it's still an expensive "cheapest" player)

johndc
February 18th, 2008, 11:17 PM

The only thing I'm exaggerating (and I thought this was quite clear) was the motorcycle bit. The rest is all true.

el mariachi
February 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Yes, I understand. :D Honda isn't all that 'weak' to be eaten by Sony.

lyceum
February 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM

A major record label
A music publisher
A camera company

True, but I think Sony does a better job of it for some reason. And I would love to see a motorcycle with "mega bass" lol