PDA

View Full Version : Kde 4.0.62 Very Dissappointing!

snakeeyes
February 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I just upgraded to latest snapshot of the suse unstable kde4 packages.

There have been some improvements and bug fixes in the speed, panel, and a few new desktop effects but other wise its been very disappointing.

Plasma now crashes a lot more often than before, almost whenever I start adding widgets plasma crashes a minute later.

KDE 3 applications crash plasma easily, and gnome applications don't even work properly.

KDE 4 can't save preferences for example if I set the panel to small and choose a desktop background then the next login all the settings change again.

Most of KDE 4's own application crash and don't even run, I had to start dolphin like 10 times to just get it to start otherwise the crash report came up, the kde4 konsole, kde4 kopete, or even its system settings don't start. Kopete hasn't even started once.

I know they were the unstable packages but u would think it would be use able for more than 10 minutes.

Anyway what do u all think or how has been your experience?

I am going to go submit a thousand bug reports now.

Whiffle
February 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I just upgraded to latest snapshot of the suse unstable kde4 packages.

latest snapshot unstable. Those three words send my expectations of stability to zero.

snakeeyes
February 16th, 2008, 04:04 PM
latest snapshot unstable. Those three words send my expectations of stability to zero.
I know its going to be unstable but I though I should be able to use it for 10 minutes at least.

luca.b
February 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Considering that everything is pre-alpha, that qt-copy has just been updated to a Qt 4.4 snapshot and everything... you'll have a hard time expecting *stability* from trunk right now.

jomiolto
February 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I know its going to be unstable but I though I should be able to use it for 10 minutes at least.

It's not just unstable but also a snapshot, i.e. it probably hasn't gone through any testing. Sometimes you're lucky to get a snapshot to start (if it's a binary one) or compile (if it's source), never mind actually being stable. Generally snapshots should only be used by developers, although there are exceptions sometimes...

snakeeyes
February 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
yeah I downgrading to the stable release right now.