PDA

View Full Version : heavy custumizable editor

tsr
February 16th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking about creating a simple editor for creating UMC (user made content) for the excellent game Battle for Wesnoth (http://www.wesnoth.org) (BfW).

BfW uses a mark-up language called WML (wesnoth markup language) that has some similarities with xml (the main differences are: preprocessor directives and [ ] instead of < >). WML is faitly strict in what you are allowed to write where.

I would like to find a text-editor that works a bit like (x)emacs so that when you enter the BfW-mode you wont be able to accidently enter a html/PHP/xml/CSS/C++/etc code fragment.

I've been looking (really fast and not in-depth) into both bluefish and jEdit. While jEdit seems very customizable I'm a bit scared cause it's written in java.

Bluefish on the other hand seems like it doesn't have the 'mode' thing (not sure jEdit has it either but it looks like it), so that yes you can create your own menu, but all the html/css/etc menus are still around.

What I really want from the editor is:
- possibility to hide unwanted features easily
- indentation and syntax-highlightning
- code snippets
- wizards (that is forms that when completed insert a modified code snippet)
- error highlightning, so that unallowed key=value-pairs are highlighted in red (or something).

I think that's it. So any recommendations (except emacs/vi mostly because I don't want to present a newbie with them but also cause they scare me, yes I'm easily scared by things I don't understand) are very much welcome.

/tsr

gorilla_au
February 16th, 2008, 03:14 PM
What about gedit, which does support syntax highlighting but not sure if you are able to do the mode feature that you mentioned.

Let us know how you get on.