PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] More warnings about the current development release?

FuturePilot
February 16th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I've been noticing a lot of threads in the regular forums regarding issues with Hardy. I was thinking that maybe there should be some sort of notice about using a development release and the risks involved. What does everyone else think?

PmDematagoda
February 16th, 2008, 04:30 AM
If anyone has had a look at the Hardy Development section they would see that exact notice, so there would not be much of a use putting up the notice everywhere since all the other sections of Ubuntu Forums mainly concern themselves with stable Ubuntu releases.

Also there is a warning that is given to users when trying to download Hardy Heron from locations such as this (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/hardy/alpha4), so it really is not that necessary.

SonicSteve
February 16th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Perhaps it could be more prominent but it is one of the sticky threads in the Hardy Developement area.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=600644
You can't be warned any more than this.

FuturePilot
February 16th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Ah, I forgot about that one on the download page. However some will not see that if they just upgrade.

PmDematagoda
February 16th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Ah, I forgot about that one on the download page. However some will not see that if they just upgrade.

That is something that concerns the Ubuntu developers and you should take it up with them.

In any case, the upgrade to Ubuntu Hardy is not a normal one and needs special commands, so that by itself should mean something.

FuturePilot
February 16th, 2008, 05:00 AM
In any case, the upgrade to Ubuntu Hardy is not a normal one and needs special commands, so that by itself should mean something.

Yeah, I just realized that. Sometimes it's tricky knowing Linux so well because you have to remind yourself that not everyone knows it that well. And I'm certain there are others that know it better than I do and so on. Therefore I must conclude that if someone has upgraded they must at least know the risks.

Ok, well, thank you for your input, I am seeing this differently now. I guess that about wraps it up
:)

PmDematagoda
February 16th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Ok, well, thank you for your input, I am seeing this differently now. I guess that about wraps it up
:)

Glad I was able to help:).

SonicSteve
February 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM

An upgrade warning when upgrading to a development release is an interesting idea. I suppose there could be some new people who don't quite understand what the Alpha, beta, or RC releases are. For me the idea of upgrading to an Alpha is quite absurd. Other than for finding bugs and reporting them I can't think of why you would want to do it. I don't think a warning would be a bad idea though.

PriceChild
February 16th, 2008, 04:10 PM
There is a warning when you upgrade using the update-manager.

Please report any hardy posts and ask for them to be moved.

23meg
February 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
You won't get the option to upgrade to a development release unless you run update-manager with the -d option. I also agree that there are enough warnings, and that reporting Hardy related posts in other support areas so that they'll be moved will suffice.