PDA

View Full Version : Mouse for big hands?

Waves77
February 16th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I'm 1.93 (6'4'') and larger than average hands I would say.

I'm looking to replace my old mouse with a wireless, and I'd love to hear if anyone has any tips. Won't be used for gaming.

TIA!

eljoeb
February 16th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Your hands are THAT big? I'm 6'6'' and can't image that problem. I did have to get a left handed mouse after losing a couple fingers, but that's a different problem. :)

mivo
February 16th, 2008, 07:31 AM
The Logitech MX1000 is relatively large for a mouse.

EdThaSlayer
February 16th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Why don't you get a trackball? They usually are quite big, and comfortable, for me at least.

Waves77
February 16th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Your hands are THAT big? I'm 6'6'' and can't image that problem. I did have to get a left handed mouse after losing a couple fingers, but that's a different problem. :)

I actually have hands bigger than most people my height (or taller) I've met, so yeah... most mice feel like I'm always grabbing them with my fingertips and end up being uncomfortable after a couple hours...

The Logitech MX1000 is relatively large for a mouse. Well, and there's this (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1858). ;)

Looking at a few Logitech's right now: MX 620, MX Revolution and LX7... seem a bit larger

Why don't you get a trackball? They usually are quite big, and comfortable, for me at least.

Tried in the past but never really got used to them :)

defenestratos
February 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Great to see other people speaking about their ergonomic woes! Most people just suffer in silence about this sort of thing. I am only 184cm and I look at my hand on the mouse and it is borderline to small. My hand kind of devours it and the fingers have to be bent to use the buttons.

handy
February 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I like a large mouse too. I have to admit with some embarrassment that the most comfortable mouse I have ever used, & still use is an old MS Intellimouse Explorer, it fits my paw perfectly.

I have tried wireless before & found that their battery life was very poor. Perhaps that has improved these days?

Probably a rechargeable mouse that lives in a charging caddy overnight would have advantages. Though replacing a proprietary battery would probably cost more than replacing the mouse.

popch
February 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM
My hand kind of devours it and the fingers have to be bent to use the buttons.

After some years of piano lessons I actually prefer the fingers to be bent when on the mouse buttons. I feel that I have much better control on the timing of the clicks and so on.

I have tried wireless before & found that their battery life was very poor. Perhaps that has improved these days?

Probably a rechargeable mouse that lives in a charging caddy overnight would have advantages. Though replacing a proprietary battery would probably cost more than replacing the mouse.

Many mice come indeed with a charging station. That's quite useful but only if you can accustom yourself to parking the mouse there. Some of my colleagues still have not.

All the rechargeable mice I have found so far contain off the shelf rechargeable batteries. You can charge them with a regular charger outside of the mouse. You can also use the off the shelf ones with your mouse, provided you use the appropriate cell technology (i.e. those with the appropriate voltage and discharging behaviour).

I have used rechargeable wireless optical mice by Fujitsu and Targus, while colleagues of mine have used some by logitech. All performed satisfactorily.

handy
February 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Many mice come indeed with a charging station. That's quite useful but only if you can accustom yourself to parking the mouse there. Some of my colleagues still have not.

The obsessive compulsive bent in my nature would see me through regarding the charging of a mouse that required parking every night... :lolflag:

All the rechargeable mice I have found so far contain off the shelf rechargeable batteries. You can charge them with a regular charger outside of the mouse. You can also use the off the shelf ones with your mouse, provided you use the appropriate cell technology (i.e. those with the appropriate voltage and discharging behaviour).

I have a Belkin brand rechargeable which was so hungry for batteries that I have not used it for years. I prefer the MS thing over the Apple mouse for my iMac.

I supplied a Gyration wireless keyboard & mouse to a business customer 7 years or so ago; that mouse had a recharging caddy & proprietary battery pack which certainly would have been very expensive to purchase from Gyration as the kit was very expensive initially.

The mouse was still working when I retired 2 years ago?...

Waves77
February 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'm going to try out the logitech mx 620 8)

days_of_ruin
February 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM
+1.I own a logitech trackman and its the biggest mouse I have ever seen/used.

Linuxratty
February 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM
The Logitech MX1000 is relatively large for a mouse. Well, and there's this (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1858). ;)

The Logitech I'd go with,the other one is just too tacky and sexist for words.