PDA

View Full Version : The OSX Project

Linuxratty
February 15th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Listen to what he says near the end of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d65rdIBG-NA

Lster
February 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Good to hear people encouraging Ubuntu in the mainstream!

k2t0f12d
February 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
What I am doing is illegal, so, and I can't stress this point enough, don't do this.

Okay here's how you do it....

Lster
February 15th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Yes, I found that amusing. :)

Kernel Sanders
February 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM
From what I hear, OSX86 installs are quite buggy and crash prone. Surely the aim of trying to use OSX is to avoid just that outcome!

May as well keep using windows in that case :lolflag:

Quillz
February 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM
From what I hear, OSX86 installs are quite buggy and crash prone. Surely the aim of trying to use OSX is to avoid just that outcome!

May as well keep using windows in that case :lolflag:
But does it have to do with OSx86 itself, or the fact that OS X has some sort of DRM in it that intentionally keeps it from behaving on non-Apple hardware?

k2t0f12d
February 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM
It probably got the most to do with its kernel being targeted to a processor with a different instruction set and endianness.

Namtabmai
February 15th, 2008, 10:38 PM
But does it have to do with OSx86 itself, or the fact that OS X has some sort of DRM in it that intentionally keeps it from behaving on non-Apple hardware?

Probably more to do with OSX being only tested on the hardware that Apple sells, so try installing into something else is just asking for new bugs to crop up.

It probably got the most to do with its kernel being targeted to a processor with a different instruction set and endianness.

Doubt it since Apple changed over to Intel, the cpu isn't going to cause any problems it's just the rest of the hardware. Macs and PC use the same endianness now adays.

k2t0f12d
February 15th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Thanks Namtabmai, I didn't know that about OS X. :D

popch
February 15th, 2008, 10:52 PM

Isn't the Darwin Kernel the same as the OSX one, anyway?

Namtabmai
February 15th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Isn't the Darwin Kernel the same as the OSX one, anyway?

Yeah Darwin is the OS X kernel, and it's free/open source, you can download it from the Apple site somewhere. But it's only the kernel, none of the graphic stuff. Imagine running Linux without X11/Gnome/KDE etc, that's what you'll get if you install Darwin.

Darwin has it's routes in BSD with a lot of Nextstep thrown in.

When OS X first came out, Apple where still producing only PPC machines but there where always rumours that they where developing a Intel version side by side. So when half way through 2005 Apple announced that they where moving to Intel it wasn't really that much of a surprise. PowerPC really aren't/weren't worth the price Ghz/$ wise. Going intel should have meant that Apple could

1) Get more bang for their buck
2) Sell their machines cheaper to the public.

Well one out of two isn't bad I suppose.

Anyway, personally I can't be bothered with getting OSX to run on none Mac hardware. I'm just waiting until someone manages to get Amiga OS 4 to run on generic hardware. :D

leftorvo
February 15th, 2008, 11:51 PM
osx86 has plenty of compatibility problems, but it can run great for many people

handy
February 16th, 2008, 01:12 AM
There are databases of known compatible hardware & at least one of these goes into details regarding any (if any) problems that exist with said hardware.

I think that hardware incompatibilities are the cause of most if not all of the problems that people experience with the OSX Project.

People check the database & purchase the appropriate hardware to build reliable non-Apple machines that run OS X.

handy
February 16th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Yeah Darwin is the OS X kernel, and it's free/open source, you can download it from the Apple site somewhere. But it's only the kernel, none of the graphic stuff. Imagine running Linux without X11/Gnome/KDE etc, that's what you'll get if you install Darwin.

You could use MacPorts to install KDE or Gnome & whatever of the 1000's of packages that exist for it.

I wonder if anybody has bothered?