PDA

View Full Version : Packages seem to be fading out

shane2peru
February 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
This is my observation lately, correct me if I'm wrong. It seems like some packages are fading out of Ubuntu/Linux. Adesklets seems to work, but the add on things are all old outdated, and the few that I would like don't work. Gdesklets, I just recently installed it, and surprise, it's broke! Here is the error I get:

$ gdesklets
Starting gdesklets-daemon...
Cannot establish connection to daemon: timeout!
The log file might help you solving the problem.
$ cat .gdesklets/logs/gdesklets%3A0.0.log
Log messages of /home/username/.gdesklets/logs/gdesklets%3A0.0.log
/usr/lib/gdesklets/main/__init__.py:118: GtkDeprecationWarning: gtk.threads_init is deprecated, use gtk.gdk.threads_init instead
gtk.threads_init()

================================================== ========[02/15/08-13:31:26]===
Could not import tiling module!

I know I have seen others too, that I have used in the past and they seem to be dead projects now. While I know these are certainly not 'pertinent' programs there does seem to be a trend there. Now I'm wondering if perhaps some of these things should be paid for. Would that really help keep them from disappearing into the horizon? Or what is the solution? Wait for another developer that has spare time pick up the project? Forgive my ignorance, I'm not a developer, don't even know a computer language besides some html and basic (learned that in High School 14 years ago). Just want to get some of your thoughts on this. I don't have a good understanding of how this all works. The only thing I know is that Microsoft IMHO is a failing software that is full of holes, viruses, and on top of that you pay a hefty price for it. That is just my opinion though. :popcorn:

Shane

23meg
February 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Or what is the solution? Wait for another developer that has spare time pick up the project?

Sure. If a project is abandoned by its original author and contributors, others can pick it up. It just takes people to stand up to the job.

macogw
February 15th, 2008, 11:17 PM
And sometimes projects go by the wayside and are bypassed by other projects. Screenlets is nicer than GDesklets.

shane2peru
February 15th, 2008, 11:28 PM
And sometimes projects go by the wayside and are bypassed by other projects. Screenlets is nicer than GDesklets.

See, I can't keep up with them! It was adesklets, fell by the way side, then GDesklets, seems to be doing the same, although 'appears' to still have some development and now Screenlets. Seems like they would just help pick up the pieces to GDesklet or adesklets instead of starting over. Thanks for that piece of info, I will have to check that one out.

Shane

shane2peru
February 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info about Screenlets, that seems to be a little better, and they have what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Shane