PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft II

mistaWAC
February 14th, 2008, 06:55 PM
So I looked around on the forums and couldn´t really find anything that applied to my situation. I´m running a dual boot between XP Pro with every new update as well as Ubuntu 7.10. I installed Warcraft III and The Frozen Throne onto the Windows partition while in XP and tested it - works fine. I now have WINE installed and here is how I atmpted to start W3:TFT:

>> Navigate to the dos_devices folder in my .wine folder
>> Navigated to the Warcraft III folder in Program Files (the D: points to the windowsxp partition which I have mounted here)
>> I attempt to start Warcraft III.exe or Frozen Throne.exe and they both freeze at the splash screen giving some weird errors in the terminal

err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34f3f8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34f7d0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34f3dc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
fixme:msg:pack_message msg 14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) not supported yet
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
Resource id in failed request: 0x3c00003
Serial number of failed request: 93
Current serial number in output stream: 102
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 10 (X_UnmapWindow)
Resource id in failed request: 0x3800001
Serial number of failed request: 41
Current serial number in output stream: 45

Any help on setting up W3 with this situation please?

Alpha7
February 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
My thought would be that need to install WC3 from inside of Ubuntu with wine so it can be recognized as a program with wine correctly and written to the registry. Just trying to run the game doesn't do this as far as I know.

Sugi
February 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Your title reads as "Warcraft II" not warcraft 3, because frozen throne is warcraft 3. I don't think you meant dark portal. did you?

Anyways, Warcraft 3 broke after wine version 0.9.51 (anything before should work, but you need to use 0.9.51)
(these versions do not work with Warcraft 3 (0.9.52, 0.9.53, 0.9.54, 0.9.55)

You can either remove wine and install 0.9.51 (it's tested to work. it works for me under 0.9.51)
$sudo apt-get remove wine
go to winehq website and download 0.9.51
http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html

or

you can also consider installing playonlinux.com I am currently using it for all my games that require older version of wine.
http://www.playonlinux.com

Sugi

FrozenFox
February 14th, 2008, 08:11 PM
(these versions do not work with Warcraft 3 (0.9.52, 0.9.53, 0.9.54, 0.9.55)

Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne with the latest patch works just fine for me on 0.9.55, including netplay..

Sugi
February 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I have read 0.9.51 was ideal for best performance. What version of Warcraft 3 & Frozen Throne are you using?

Sugi

mistaWAC
February 14th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I´m going to try installing it via WINE rather than running it from my XP partition. What the fellow up top said about that makes sense. I´ll keep y´all posted..

And thanks a ton for the help..

FrozenFox
February 15th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I have read 0.9.51 was ideal for best performance. What version of Warcraft 3 & Frozen Throne are you using?

Sugi

For performance that works just as well as anything for me, I used wine 0.9.55, wc3:ft 1.21b, and add -opengl to the end of the command or shortcut to load the game. IE, the shortcut in my start menu is:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/fox/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Frozen Throne.exe" -opengl

Of course,
wine "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Frozen Throne.exe" -opengl

will do the same thing if you don't have multiple wine copy thingos laying around.

The only glitch i have is that the brightness or gamma or whatever won't change, but that's a minor issue.

P.S., Sugi: Is that signature supposed to be "all but one ARE" linux? ie there are 4 linux machines and 1 non-linux machine? That's a little strange for a signature if you meant as it says right now. :)