PDA

View Full Version : Threads you'll never even open

SupaSonic
February 14th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I'm sure there are some thread titles that you look at and immediately skip to the next one.

For me, it's the laptop related threads, I don't know why actually. Probably because I couldn't care less about them.

Fascination
February 14th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Any thread where the title looks like it may have been typed by a an ADD kid after eating sherbet and drinking coke all morning. :)

aimran
February 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM
"No borders after installing compiz fusion"

OoooMatron
February 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM
"No borders after installing compiz fusion"

:lolflag:

barbedsaber
February 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM
threads you'll neve... oh damn.

hhhhhx
February 14th, 2008, 10:05 AM
"i have a problem with my audio....."

also if it contains the words : HELP! / noob / compiz cube / or more than one exclamation point

p_quarles
February 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM
"Urgent help needed!!!!!!!!!! Plz!!!"

eljoeb
February 14th, 2008, 11:35 AM
"Suggest me a light distro for an old computer"
"Ubuntu vs [distroname]"
Anything that involves Americans or Religion
Any thread where the title has Microsoft spelled with a dollar sign.
"Half Life 2/CS:S/whatever isn't working as well as Windows!"

LaRoza
February 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I do open most threads that catch my attention, but I usually do not respond to anything concerning "Flash", "MySpace", "Sound/Video on Web pages", and this includes the well known Flash issue, with its easy fix.

To those interested, for Flash: search the forum, for MySpace: it is defective, don't use it, for sound and video on web pages, install Flash or Java or get the plugin needed.

Dojan5
February 14th, 2008, 12:29 PM
"Weird glassy transparent theme after installing beryl"

Oh ya, also:

"mkfs.ext3 computer wont boot"

>=>Edit<=<
Oh yaa

Never EVER run mkfs.ext3 as it really will ruin the computer.
I am sorry if i forgot to mention that.
For more information check the MALICIOUS COMMANDS thread.
You have been warned

p_quarles
February 14th, 2008, 12:40 PM
"i have a problem with my audio....."

also if it contains the words : HELP! / noob / compiz cube / or more than one exclamation point
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=677576
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=679529

P.S. I'll be happy to reduce those topics to one exclamation point if you ask nicely. ;)

argie
February 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM
"That's it, I'm going back to Windows" but then, those are pretty rare. I don't like attention whores.

Scarath
February 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
"Can I run Ubuntu on my eeepc?" (for the last time YES now lets all move on with life!)

"Best Programming Language"

"I wanna start programming"

... really most things people could get a better answer for with 1.5 seconds on google.

Tristam Green
February 14th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Most religion threads.
As stated previously, anything with multiple exclamation points, or with the word "Micro$oft" or "*******" in the title.
Any Myspace threads.

-Rick-
February 14th, 2008, 02:15 PM
The endless stream of anti windows/microsoft threads ;)

LaRoza
February 14th, 2008, 02:49 PM
The endless stream of anti windows/microsoft threads ;)

I would say the endless stream of anti-Linux threads are more numerous.

forrestcupp
February 14th, 2008, 08:09 PM
"Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots"

Anything asking for distro suggestions - Come on people, we're on the Ubuntu forums.

Anything about emacs or vi

Anything talking about how superior the CLI is, how to play music and videos from the CLI, or how to surf the net from the CLI. I'm sorry, but to me, trying to do multimedia from the command line doesn't make sense. It should be a graphical experience.

LaRoza
February 14th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Anything about emacs or vi

Anything talking about how superior the CLI is, how to play music and videos from the CLI, or how to surf the net from the CLI. I'm sorry, but to me, trying to do multimedia from the command line doesn't make sense. It should be a graphical experience.

What about Vim?

Well, command line media players make it possible to run things in scripts, which can be more flexible.

Gigamo
February 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Huh, what is wrong with this? Ncmpc for example does everything it needs to do as a music player, and is extremely lightweight at it. I agree for surfing the net part. And videos, you tell me how you watch a vid from the cli except for mplayer :P

jrharvey
February 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM
"the person below you game"

Kingsley
February 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM

P.S. I'll be happy to reduce those topics to one exclamation point if you ask nicely. ;)
*cough* owned!

Kernel Sanders
February 14th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Any thread where "text speak" is used in the title. Examples: "m8" "plz"

johndc
February 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
any thread who title/spirit includes a flagrant abuse of hyperbole.

(usually made by kids who world frame-of-reference is grossly exagerrated/inadequate)

banjobacon
February 14th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Most threads with this emoticon to the left: http://ubuntuforums.org/images/icons/icon11.gif

Tristam Green
February 14th, 2008, 09:12 PM
"Post your .conkyrc files w/ screenshots"
That thread got me revitalized my interest in scripting.

Anything asking for distro suggestions - Come on people, we're on the Ubuntu forums.
I've never understood those here either...

LaRoza
February 14th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I agree for surfing the net part. And videos, you tell me how you watch a vid from the cli except for mplayer :P

Lynx is a nice browser, and I use it sometimes.

Tristam Green
February 14th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Lynx is a nice browser, and I use it sometimes.
+1, i use it to tick my dad off too. he doesn't understand it.

solitaire
February 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
"this is not a rant but...."

Then goes on to a long boring nonsence rant about how he can't be bothered to RTFMP and want's Linux to be just like Windows......

forrestcupp
February 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Well, command line media players make it possible to run things in scripts, which can be more flexible.Good point. That's the only way I would possibly use them.

Ncmpc for example does everything it needs to do as a music player, and is extremely lightweight at it.I'm not one of those "lightweight" freaks. I've got memory, and I don't care if it gets used.

"the person below you game"
Ha, ha. I almost forgot about those ever since they put them all in a different sub-forum.

hhhhhx
February 15th, 2008, 12:24 AM

thanks....

ubuntu-freak
February 15th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I'm glad I haven't come across religious threads.

To answer the question, the only threads I usually ignore are non descriptive ones. I can't stand that. I don't care if they contain "HELP!!!", "noob" or even SMS style spelling, Anyway, "noob" just means they are admitting they have barely any technical knowledge. I just want some kind of description of the problem.

Nathan

SomeGuyDude
February 15th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Anything that sounds overly technical. I'm neither smart enough to help nor to need help with anything on that level.

NightwishFan
February 15th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I tend to avoid threads about ipods or other portable devices since I do not use those and wouldn't know how to help.

On the other hand I do visit pro windows and pro linux ones because I like to read opinions. Really technical threads sometimes are a good read because its possible you will learn something.

Dojan5
February 16th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Anything that sounds overly technical. I'm neither smart enough to help nor to need help with anything on that level.
What do you mean overly technical like:
Help my cpu cant decode datastreams uplink them to the mitherboard link them to the graphic card and display them on the screen, im missing a core module? ---- Kind of stuff?
That i'd agree to...

I tend to avoid threads about ipods or other portable devices since I do not use those and wouldn't know how to help.

On the other hand I do visit pro windows and pro linux ones because I like to read opinions. Really technical threads sometimes are a good read because its possible you will learn something.

1. I know, mp3's and such devices are nothing but trouble, im still trying to get mine to work on ubuntu... T-T

2. Whats pro windows and pro linux? O_O

phrostbyte
February 16th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I don't really avoid any threads. In the help forum I usually give preference to threads with 0 replies, because I know I'd I hate to post a question and get no answer even if the answer is "no, you can't do that".

NightwishFan
February 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Like Windows is better, Linux is better. I like to hear opinions, and what I agree with. I never post because my opinion is: LINUX WINS :)