PDA

View Full Version : Breaking into IT industry, from another disipline?

hardyn
February 14th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Question for the IT pros out there,

What channels would somebody have to go though to convince an HR manager that a person coming from a technical background, however not specifically IT, that they are worth an interview and not blown off immediately as not qualified?

my background is in mechatronic engineering, mechanical engineering with a bunch of elective courses in electronics and software engineering. I have decided that mechanical scene is no longer for me and I have been trying to break into IT industry; however, its not going that well.

I have been applying for entry level help desk positions, and have been stressing in my CV and covering letter direct experiences performing IT duties in previous positions and my self-taught skills, though my personal projects. I know i can excel at an entry level position, but how do i prove it somebody else? I am considering grad studies in IT or computing engineering, however, it will take some time before i can afford such studies, and of course there is the time in class.

anybody have any ideas? about what they are specifically looking for, maybe i am wording my CV and covering letters incorrectly for the It industry?

Thanks.

kathryn
February 14th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hi Hardyn,

I'm not an IT pro (actually a graduate student in neuroscience) but I might have one useful piece of advice for you.

I have been pondering my career options, and considered a shift into programming. I wasn't sure of what I might need (in terms of courses) to show potential employers that I was worth considering. The most useful advice I received was from employers with job ads on websites and in the newspaper. I simply emailed them and asked what would be required.

Perhaps you should do the same - then you'd hear directly from them what you need to be competitive with other applicants.

In my case, I was told that a portfolio of existing programming work would suffice, and to get my stuff out there into the public domain.

Good luck! :)

Kathryn

aimran
February 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
It will be easier for you to start in a mechanical engineering field that deals a lot with IT. For example: I used to work as an M&E consultant in building services and dealt with outfitting data centres.

I think I'm giving a bad example hahaha!

hardyn
February 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Well, of course that is the fall back, but they are really few and far between.

frrobert
February 14th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Hardyn,

It is harder now to do this then in the past but is possible.

I know what you are going through because my BS is in Chemical Education and I now do IT so I have been down this path.

A few things.

1. Do freelancing, even some volunteer work for non-for-profits
It builds the resume and body of work.

2. Do subcontracting-
If you are in the US sign up with TEK Systems. They are a company that finds IT techs for long and short term projects for other companies. They are a good company

3. Apply to companies that look more at who you are rather then a particular skill set.

I did some work for an insurance company once that no one in their workstation group had an IT degree. The company's thought was it easier to teach someone skills rather the behavior. They looked for out going, friendly, professional people who fit into their company culture and were quick studies rather then folks that may have all the tech skills but were not a good fit into the company culture. Not that tech skills and fitting in are mutually exclusive. They just put more weight on other items then a particular technical skill.

Hope this helps,

Fr. Robert

jaytek13
February 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Honestly, help desk is primarily a customer support position, and even people who major in IT can have some troubles getting into a help desk/support position without a lot of previous customer service experience. Call center jobs tend to be a good way to get this experience, and there are plenty tech oriented call centers around.

Otherwise on your resume I would place less emphasis on your programming skills, and rather focus on general tech knowledge and your experience working with others in groups. Then I'd definately include a cover letter that highlighted your desire to help others and provide specific examples of how you "support" them in your current work environment.