PDA

View Full Version : boot commands

mikeymike
December 3rd, 2004, 06:48 AM
Hi,
I recently installed ubuntu, i still use FC3 but was wondering is there a script like
"rc.local" in debain based/ubuntu so i can run some commands at start up and if so what would the syntax be for it the same as rc.local or different.

Thanks,
Mike

diebels
December 3rd, 2004, 07:19 AM
use /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh , or make your own

cd /etc/init.d/
sudo touch rc.local
sudo chmod +x rc.local
sudo ln -s rc.local ../rcS.d/80rc.local

mikeymike
December 3rd, 2004, 12:37 PM
use /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh , or make your own

cd /etc/init.d/
sudo touch rc.local
sudo chmod +x rc.local
sudo ln -s rc.local ../rcS.d/80rc.local

p!=f
December 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM
Smoother way is to create /etc/rc.boot directory and place the scripts you want to startup on boot here.

offby1
December 26th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Is that all it takes? By default anything in rc.boot will run on startup?

gstrock
January 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM
any idea at what point in the boot up procedure
they get executed? Is it after all the init.d scripts
get executed?

art2003
January 21st, 2006, 12:18 AM
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-customizing.en.html

Like all Unices, Ubuntu boots up by executing the program init. The configuration file for init (which is /etc/inittab) specifies that the first script to be executed should be /etc/init.d/rcS. This script runs all of the scripts in /etc/rcS.d/ by sourcing or forking subprocess depending on their file extension to perform initialization such as to check and to mount file systems, to load modules, to start the network services, to set the clock, and to perform other initialization. Then, for compatibility, it runs the files in /etc/rc.boot/ too.

After completing the boot process, init executes all start scripts in a directory specified by the default runlevel (this runlevel is given by the entry for id in /etc/inittab). Like most System V compatible Unices, Linux has 7 runlevels: