PDA

View Full Version : 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

hhhhhx
February 14th, 2008, 01:09 AM
great list for any audiophile :)

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/steveparker/1001albums.htm

bobbybobington
February 14th, 2008, 04:14 AM
+1 for Emergency on planet earth by Jamiroquai. Most funkadelic.

zachtib
February 14th, 2008, 04:29 AM
interesting... bookmarked

There's already a lot of good stuff on there that I like (glad to see Radiohead on the list)

tbroderick
February 14th, 2008, 04:42 AM

That's pretty good. Surprised to see the likes of R.D. Burman. Do I really need to listen to two Kings of Leon albums? Or Chocolate Starfish & the Hot Dog Flavored Water? Would've liked to see more reggae. Nothing from Lee Perry or the Upsetters. Missing Buju Banton's 'Til Shiloh (best modern reggae album) and classics like the Congos Heart of the Congos. Also who have liked to see Mulatu of Ethiopia by Mulatu Astatke.

cprofitt
February 14th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I jumped right to the 80s to see if some of 'my' choices would be there...

bonus points for the following:
ABC – Lexicon of Love
Adam & the Ants – Kings of the Wild Frontier
Echo & the Bunnymen – Crocodiles
Winwood, Steve – Arc of a Diver
Human League – Dare
Haircut One Hundred – Pelican West (most people never heard of these guys -- I bought the album the week it came out because it was in a hot-pink tape case which was very odd back then)
Duran Duran – Rio
Scritti Politti – Cupid & Psyche 85
XTC – Skylarking

Though there are things I think they forgot it seems to be a good list.

PryGuy
February 14th, 2008, 07:33 AM
All my favs listed!!! \\:D/

sunexplodes
February 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Not going to take this seriously, it has a Limp Bizkit record on it.

Chilli Bob
February 14th, 2008, 08:14 AM
....meh....not my taste.

I searched for my favorite albums. Only Queen II made it on. No Live After Death, no Flood, no Caravanserai, no Godfodder etc etc

Christmas
February 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM
There's also the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5938174/the_rs_500_greatest_albums_of_all_time).

i M@N
February 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM

http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/steveparker/1001albums.htm

O.K. so (tmp.txt is the copy/paste cleaned list of the albums listed) cat tmp.txt | awk -F " – " '{print $1}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | head -10 > top10.txt tells top 10 artists are :

7 Young, Neil
7 Dylan, Bob
7 Bowie, David
7 Beatles
6 Rolling Stones
6 Costello, Elvis
5 Who
5 Springsteen, Bruce
5 Sonic Youth
5 Radiohead

i join the full list (704.txt).
Nice to see Public Enemy #34 and Bob Marley #41 ... anyway ... music is not a competition but serious sounds here indeed.

@+...

tbroderick
February 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM
....meh....not my taste.

I searched for my favorite albums. Only Queen II made it on. No Live After Death, no Flood, no Caravanserai, no Godfodder etc etc

There are a total of three Queen albums and two Maiden albums though.

graabein
February 14th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Lots of good music there I'm sure... I just hate titles like that. Things to do before you get old, things to do before you die. What albums and books you must read to be in "the know" i.e. talk loud like a know-it-all in public places to impress others. It just seem so shallow and easy. Blah.