PDA

View Full Version : Rainlendar - Best organisation app ever?

Mazza558
February 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
...I think it might just be. I didn't know it was available on Linux until today, and I'm happily using it on Ubuntu for a few hours now.

For those who don't know, it's a transparent calendar app for your desktop (runs on any environment and with/without compiz, as far as I know). It's very easy to use, and very powerful for such a small program, and lets you add todo lists and everything. If you have a ton of things happening in the next year, add all those important deadlines for things, important occasions, and they'll pop up automatically in the todo list or events list when you get within a few days of them happening. You can also set alarms to remind you of things to do. To top it all off, it looks gorgeous in my opinion, considering it's just a calendar app.

Screenies:

http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/images/stories/image-calendar.pnghttp://www.rainlendar.net/cms/images/stories/image-event.png

http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/images/stories/image-todo.png

It's available in deb format on the main page, HERE. (http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php)

gashcr
February 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
looks pretty cool. Seems the kind of app I've always looked for, simple yet powerful and good looking

Sciophobia
February 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Google Calendar + RememberTheMilk.com for me, can get my stuff anywhere and theres tons of things that use the API.

Mazza558
February 13th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Google Calendar + RememberTheMilk.com for me, can get my stuff anywhere and theres tons of things that use the API.

I think this is useful if you'll be without net access for any length of time, and I think it's more convenient and streamlined to have your calendar on your desktop.

Kingsley
February 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM
+1 for Google Calendar. It can even send a reminder to my cell phone about events that are coming up on my schedule.

This Rainlendar program does look cool. I'll probably mess around with it this weekend.

Mazza558
March 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Just a small note - If you set Rainlendar to load on startup, even if it is set to "On Desktop" as opposed to floating, it will remain on the top of a maximised window (e.g firefox). To fix this, set it to "on bottom" instead.

cetheriel
August 19th, 2008, 04:04 PM
still floats over everything, whenever i switch desktops...

billgoldberg
August 19th, 2008, 04:52 PM
The calender looks nice.

But I don't need reminders from my computer to remember important things.

estyles
August 19th, 2008, 04:56 PM
But I don't need reminders from my computer to remember important things.

That's odd, I find a computer to be better at remembering things than I am.

billgoldberg
August 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM
That's odd, I find a computer to be better at remembering things than I am.

Look at the examples in the screenshots.

Math exam: If you need to look at your computer to tell you when the exam is, you're going to fail it.

Clean house, do laundry, wash dishes -> I wouldn't like to visit that house.

estyles
August 19th, 2008, 05:21 PM

Math exam: If you need to look at your computer to tell you when the exam is, you're going to fail it.

Sure, because those are obviously the only things you can put on there - certainly couldn't think of any events that might be worth putting in an organizer? ;)

cetheriel
August 19th, 2008, 06:34 PM
my favorites are meetings, plays, gigs, exhibitions, most of what i schedule is cultural stuff i attend to. some non-regular lectures...that kind of stuff

SergeantScar
September 29th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I just thought i would point out that with the Pro version you can sink with google calendar. So anything you add to your Rainlendar will be put on a google calendar. then, im sure from there you can set it to sink with your phone or whatever.

i love the app, been using it for over a year.

pro version is free to try, just has some annoying text but not enough to bug me that much. just running into trouble with my google calender sink with 64 bit ubuntu.. still can't figure that one out...

altonbr
January 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Is there an alternative I can use in Ubuntu? I liked it for Windows back in '05 when I was in school, but it's changed too much since and doesn't integrate too well with the Ubuntu desktop...

ticopelp
January 5th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Well thanks for stopping by to let everyone know how superior you are. It really added a lot to the discussion.

Ghost_Mazal
March 19th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Where does rainlendar store your data ?

First thing I always think of is backups.

cariboo
March 19th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Please check the date of the thread before posting a reply. The last post was two years ago. Closed