PDA

View Full Version : List of Linux File Managers

xelapond
February 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Hello everyone,

I have not been able to find a decent list of file managers, so i'm going to start one. Please post the name of the program and why it is good(Lightweight, Feature rich, etc).

Ill start:

Dolphin KDE4 - Default file manager in KDE4. It supports tabs, multiple panes, and tagging, as well as many other useful features.

notwen
February 13th, 2008, 08:57 PM
PCManFM (http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/) is a extremely light-weight powerful file manager. I tend to use it on my older PC installs w/ lightweight desktops.

LaRoza
February 13th, 2008, 08:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_managers

spupy
February 13th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Rox-Filer: lightweight, has some weird concepts and features, but if you grasp them it is a very powerful tool.

SunnyRabbiera
February 13th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Ones that I know about and tried:
Dolphin: The new file manager for KDE4, I both like it and hate it... its gotten better but I still prefer konqueror in KDE.
Konqueror: File manager, web browser and all around great filemanager.
Very good for people who are familliar with windows explorer, plus it has tabs :D
Nautilus: Gnomes rather robust filemanager, I dont see why it is so hated as its simple to use and figure out. It has its flaws but I like it overall.
Thunar: another one I love to hate, in many ways it seems better and faster then Nautilus but in other ways I dislike it... it needs more options like a send to trash function and a few other things that I like.
PCManFM: VERY promising and fast, plus it uses tabs. Like thunar it lacks a send to trash function but I use it as my main filemanager on XFCE as opposed to Thunar.
Krusader: for old schoolers this is a good filebrowser, though I really dont like it.
Rox-filer: I like this one, though it has drawbacks I like using it on occasion.

fedex1993
February 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Well my favorite is Thunar: its just so light weight and easy to use i use it on all my *box DEs

reacocard
February 13th, 2008, 10:31 PM
midnight commander - terminal-based file manager, very light and featureful
cd/cp/mv/rm... - they're everywhere!

aside from those, I have to say I do like thunar, pcmanfm and rox-filer, but so far none of them has support for smb/scp so I'm stuck with using nautilus. :(

D-EJ915
February 13th, 2008, 10:33 PM
MC: Midnight Commander The original, not much to say, it's a command-line graphic interface, does what it's supposed to and not much else. Slow to use because moving between files takes a while (I've only used it a bit, probably faster with use) but a GUI would be faster for file manipulation imo.

urukrama
February 14th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Thunar: another one I love to hate, in many ways it seems better and faster then Nautilus but in other ways I dislike it... it needs more options like a send to trash function and a few other things that I like.

Thunar has a trash function. Select a file and press delete. The file will move to the Trash, and can be easily restored from there with the 'Restore' function.

Some of the other functions you like might be possible to do with custom actions, one of Thunar's great strengths.

Raven_Oscar
February 14th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Well there is at least one more - tux commander. It is similar to Krusader but based on GTK.
tuxcmd.sourceforge.net

DoktorSeven
February 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
XFE (http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/), my favorite GUI filemanager.

Using bash is still my preferred way though :)