PDA

View Full Version : Linux Test Drive now taking beta users

garret
February 13th, 2008, 08:18 PM
If you find value with this post, please help us keep it on top by adding a comment, allowing others to see it also.

After a number of years in development Linux Test Drive is becoming a reality, from the page:

LTD is a project that has been in development for the last three years. LTD allows the user to determine which distribution best fits their needs utilizing the Linux Distribution Chooser, and then once that is determined, give the user the ability to "test drive" that distribution directly over the Internet, without the need to download. We are currently taking pre-beta registrations for the LTD system.

We believe this project will have a huge and lasting impact on the adoption of the Linux Desktop.

Ruffdogs has contributed to a number of open source projects over the years and is ready to make the biggest impact yet. Please sign up for the early beta and help us tune this system that everybody will be talking about. And please take the time to tell others about it.

http://linuxtestdrive.org/

Thanks,

Garret
Ruffdogs

Bungo Pony
February 13th, 2008, 08:44 PM
In other words, the "live CD" has evolved. Very cool!

garret
February 13th, 2008, 10:53 PM
That's exactly right. We believe we have jumped up about 10 notches on the evolutionary charts. I can't tell you how excited we are to finally be able and get this project off the ground. We truly believe that this project is going to make a huge impact on how the Linux Desktop is viewed, wold wide.

Garret

days_of_ruin
February 13th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Cool!I hope I am picked:)

garret
February 13th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Well, we will actually be opening up to a few hundred users for the first beta, and we will be turning it up quickly after that, day by day. This thing is massive in scale. It's also moving very fast at this point.

init1
February 13th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Awesome, this sounds like a great idea :D

garret
February 13th, 2008, 11:32 PM
We really appreciate the feedback! We thought others would be as excited as we were. Please help us get the word out as much as possible. We really want to be able to load test the system as soon as beta fires up. As I said we are on a tight schedule and the faster we can get enough users for real testing, the faster we will be able to go live.

Thanks so much!

icechen1
February 13th, 2008, 11:34 PM
When beta is over hope this will make to major web sites!

garret
February 14th, 2008, 12:18 AM
We have one video up on utube also, working on another that will show a bit more.

icechen1
February 14th, 2008, 12:23 AM
We have one video up on utube also, working on another that will show a bit more.

link please?

garret
February 14th, 2008, 12:28 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OjfcLfDIHv0

garret
February 14th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Soon we'll have a voting system up so that will allow you all to vote on the distributions you want to see on LTD too.So far we have ten picked for starting out, but if people want to see a lot more right off the bat we are able to do that too.

garret
February 14th, 2008, 03:23 AM
The video is now linked directly on the LTD website.

icechen1
February 14th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Soon we'll have a voting system up so that will allow you all to vote on the distributions you want to see on LTD too.So far we have ten picked for starting out, but if people want to see a lot more right off the bat we are able to do that too.

By choosing the best Linux distro for the user,will it be something like http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

days_of_ruin
February 14th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Whats with the related videos?Makes no sense>.>

garret
February 14th, 2008, 04:04 AM
By choosing the best Linux distro for the user,will it be something like http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Not just like it, that will be it, Zegenie is part of our team. There will be a number of modifications made based on things we have all learned since the LDC was developed, but yes, that's it

garret
February 14th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Whats with the related videos?Makes no sense>.>

The video is just intended to give you the idea of the distributions you will be able to test drive.

garret
February 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I just wanted to quickly mention that we really appreciate everybody who has signed up so far, and we still have room for more beta users.

Garret

macogw
February 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Your tellafriend.php is broken. It 404'd when I tried to have it send an email to my friends.

zmjjmz
February 17th, 2008, 05:19 PM
bumping this.
I've had many of my friends take the ldc so they can test out Linux more easily.

garret
February 18th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Your tellafriend.php is broken. It 404'd when I tried to have it send an email to my friends.

Yep, sorry about that, got deleted as we were working on the main site.

Thanks, it's back . . . tell a friend. :)

garret
February 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
bumping this.
I've had many of my friends take the ldc so they can test out Linux more easily.

Yes, LDC has been a great tool over the years, we are really glad to have it's developer on board with our project.

Garret