PDA

View Full Version : It's not IE, it's the OS!

Bungo Pony
February 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I was having a discussion with a co-worker about web browsers. Of course I opt for Opera, and he says it sux because they have ads on their browser. I let him know that this is no longer the case.

Anyway, we got on the subject on IE, and I told him I quit using it completely because it crashed too much. He said that it's not the browser, but an OS problem, and that I should re-install the OS. :confused:

I've had nothing but problems with IE crashing for as long as I can remember. It happens more frequently at work than anywhere else, which is why I installed Opera at work too. But how the hell does a crashy browser make for an OS problem? I can't remember the last time Opera crashed on me.

SomeGuyDude
February 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I don't get it either. My mother had been having IE issues, so I got her to reinstall IE. No help. Later she bought a new hard drive and had to obviously do a fresh install of Windows on it. IE still crashed.

Maybe it IS an OS problem, but not one that can be fixed by reinstalling. :lolflag:

Hallvor
February 13th, 2008, 08:08 PM
If I am not mistaken IE is part of the Windows kernel, so you can`t draw a clear line between the web browser and the OS.

Polygon
February 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
ie is so integrated into the operating system its not even funny. To fully remove IE from your computer, you have to make a special windows installation disk without the IE files in it, and even then you cant do half of the stuff involving internet, cause a lot of embedded browsers and stuf use IE, and a lot of networking files are also part of IE.

bet thing to do is to uninstall all shortcuts to IE (can do that in control panel) and never use it again except for windows updates. thats what i do.

skippi90
February 13th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah, IE is part of the OS and a big dirty brute of a resources hog it is too.

Vitamin-Carrot
February 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I understand issues with IE under ubuntu running via Wine but yes IE in windows is actually part of the OS :(
I have had nothign but issues here at work with IE 7

SunnyRabbiera
February 13th, 2008, 10:57 PM
For my case IE actually runs better under wine then windows so for me this is true...
But individual mileage will vary

macogw
February 14th, 2008, 01:00 AM
ie is so integrated into the operating system its not even funny. To fully remove IE from your computer, you have to make a special windows installation disk without the IE files in it, and even then you cant do half of the stuff involving internet, cause a lot of embedded browsers and stuf use IE, and a lot of networking files are also part of IE.

bet thing to do is to uninstall all shortcuts to IE (can do that in control panel) and never use it again except for windows updates. thats what i do.

All the help browsers use IE as the backend too. And Windows Updates requires that you're using IE to access it.

kenono
February 14th, 2008, 01:11 AM
It could just be the site that you goon, I understand IE doesn't render certain sites as well as others. Possibly causing a crash?

I'm not sure if it is an OS issue however.

4browersallcrash
February 18th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I have chrome,crashes the most,IE crashes w/o warning.safari.who says they are sorry
and firefox,by far the fastest and crashes the least
is it my Windows XP ?
at&t dsl?
O/S ?
hackers?

overdrank
February 18th, 2012, 11:45 PM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5451/necromancing.jpg

Iowan
February 18th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Perhaps a new thread would be in order:

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.