PDA

View Full Version : Building new PC - OS

skippi90
February 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I'm recieveing a PC with an Athlon XP 2Ghz processor, 1GB RAM and a Raedon GFX card (don't know details) from a friend who was planning on dumping it after upgrading. It's missing a HDD and CD drive but I well replace them.

I intend to make Ubuntu or maybe Mint as my main OS but I also need to run P2P TV streaming programs such as Sopcast and TVants.

How can I get these to run? Maybe a free XP variant?

maniacmusician
February 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'm recieveing a PC with an Athlon XP 2Ghz processor, 1GB RAM and a Raedon GFX card (don't know details) from a friend who was planning on dumping it after upgrading. It's missing a HDD and CD drive but I well replace them.

I intend to make Ubuntu or maybe Mint as my main OS but I also need to run P2P TV streaming programs such as Sopcast and TVants.

How can I get these to run? Maybe a free XP variant?
If there's anything such as a "free" XP variant, it's illegal. I've never used any of those programs, but would Miro (used to be Democracy Player) do the trick?

skippi90
February 13th, 2008, 03:42 PM
If there's anything such as a "free" XP variant, it's illegal. I've never used any of those programs, but would Miro (used to be Democracy Player) do the trick?

No, I wouldn't think so. You see, I use the likes of Sopcast for streaming live footie. :)

BDNiner
February 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Sopcast is available for linux i believe.

skippi90
February 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Sopcast is available for linux i believe.

It never seems to work for me though. I can never get a sopcast url to open in it.