PDA

View Full Version : My husband and I want to go back to windows

SunnyRabbiera
February 13th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Really I want to go back to windows and so does my husband, because he and I have too much free time on our hands now :D
Because of linux we dont have anything to do anymore, no more virus scans, no more spyware, no more de frags, and barely any restarts after updating...
Linux is too boring ;) :lolflag:

LaRoza
February 13th, 2008, 05:48 AM
I sometimes boot into Windows, and do a defrag for old times sake.

Of course, I have been using Linux longer than I ever used Windows, so Windows is an advanture.

PurposeOfReason
February 13th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Well, I mean, where's the excitement without trying to discover why explorer won't open? :)

SunnyRabbiera
February 13th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Well, I mean, where's the excitement without trying to discover why explorer won't open? :)

I know, heck IE works better on linux then it does on windows... it has less issues here then it does on windows, its sooo predictable :D

hhhhhx
February 13th, 2008, 05:50 AM
linux needs more flaws :)

k2t0f12d
February 13th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I propose that we develop a new package of software for this on Linux. We can call it VirtualCruft!!! It will simulate errors, warnings, and unneeded file system operations that the user must either perform or check on periodically.

NightwishFan
February 13th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I propose that we develop a new package of software for this on Linux. We can call it VirtualCruft!!! It will simulate errors, warnings, and unneeded file system operations that the user must either perform or check on periodically.

+1 :lolflag:

Occasionally Correct
February 13th, 2008, 05:58 AM
See Linux Genuine Advantage™ (http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/) for new, exciting areas of exploration. :)

Irihapeti
February 13th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Well, you can fill in time by installing some marginally useful (to you, that is) piece of software and playing with all its settings, and seeing what you can get it to do.

Or figure out how to do in the terminal what you usually do with a GUI - or vice versa.

I've found it's great for filling in the time I used to spend defragmenting, updating AV software etc. And it gives me new ways to bore people I know :) Hey, better that than being bailed up oneself by a boring geek...

master5o1
February 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I like these sorts of things....

Useful and fun things to do in terminal...
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/useful-and-fun-things-to-do-with-the-ubuntu-terminal.html

Watch StarWars in terminal (type and press enter) lol.
telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

then there is banners

banner -w 50 Width is 50

will make a banner saying "Width is 50".

not to interesting but meh...

And if you do want the REAL annoyances of windows just start a restart command for in 2 hours and forget about:

sudo shutdown -r 120 ... i think :P

Washer
February 13th, 2008, 07:32 AM
You can still compile & run ur own viruses!

Example: the local root hax

1) save this code as expl.c http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/5092
2) run "gcc -o expl0it -O expl.c"
3) run "./expl0it"

I hear there's more examples on that site to keep you on your toes.

Christmas
February 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
You can still compile & run ur own viruses!

Example: the local root hax

1) save this code as expl.c http://www.milw0rm.com/exploits/5092
2) run "gcc -o expl0it -O expl.c"
3) run "./expl0it"

I hear there's more examples on that site to keep you on your toes.
What does that code? What do you mean by 'local root hax'?

karellen
February 13th, 2008, 10:33 AM

:lolflag:

graabein
February 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM
My girlfriend and most of my friends are Windows XP users. They know I use and love GNU/Linux and I've said more than once that they would be better off with Linux, but you know, they've grown accustomed to an inferior OS and sort of made it a personal point not to give Linux a chance so what can you do.

I have at least three friends who use and prefer GNU/Linux so I talk "shop" with them and leave the OS war topic rest with the others. I hope they'll be more open for GNU/Linux after they've tried my setup, surfed the net and played music with Quod Libet etc. One must keep the faith, right?

Mom and dad are more open for GNU/Linux since I've installed it on an old box at their house. Too bad about the long boot time though (Xubuntu 7.10 on a really old box).