PDA

View Full Version : Funniest questions posed by a newcomer to Linux from Windows

k2t0f12d
February 13th, 2008, 05:42 AM
"Does it have an IDE? Ya'know, like Visual Studio?"

hhhhhx
February 13th, 2008, 05:43 AM
whats a terminal?

Vadi
February 13th, 2008, 05:45 AM
You guys are mean

k2t0f12d
February 13th, 2008, 05:47 AM
You guys are mean

That isnt a question. :tongue:

bobbybobington
February 13th, 2008, 05:52 AM
asking questions and being wrong is a part of learning. I think we want to keep these forums as newbie friendly as possible.

hhhhhx
February 13th, 2008, 05:54 AM
asking questions and being wrong is a part of learning. I think we want to keep these forums as newbie friendly as possible.
its just for fun, i dont think it's that big of a deal.

k2t0f12d
February 13th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Absolutely, but that doesn't mean they aren't funny at the same time. Let's post with humour and not scorn.

sicofante
February 13th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Well, the only two examples so far aren't funny at all. They are very pertinent questions for a newbie.

SunnyRabbiera
February 13th, 2008, 07:34 AM
"Where is the start button?"
"where is that blue e that gets me on the net?"
:D

barbedsaber
February 13th, 2008, 08:12 AM
"Where is the start button?"
"where is that blue e that gets me on the net?"

+1, no scratch that, + 100

Zlatan
February 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM
funniest thing would be about drivers:)

i had an occasion to watch my colleague re-installing winxp and it took lots of time and work to get nvidia drivers, to install all printers and stuff... while installing ubuntu was, lets say, too easy for me- it even recognized multi-functional HP3055 in our LAN
so it is funny to watch my colleagues working hard e.g. to scan with that HP3055:) my laptop "works out of the box" with it

graabein
February 13th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Yeah that is ironic. Most non Linux people think it's such a hassle to install the OS and get every IO unit working and also with the codecs and such, when in fact it's much harder and more time consuming to do those things on Windows XP!

Granted, one should try running a Live-CD first to make sure everything works but that's just being smart.

I'm going to try converting some more friends of mine. If each of us convert 1 person to GNU/Linux a year that would be nice!

Scarath
February 13th, 2008, 12:17 PM
"Why doesnt ubuntu have (any windows feature) I need it to live!"

"How do Install Norton Anti-Virus" (rofl)

Jay Jay
February 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
The classic, which we've all seen... "Why can't Linux be more like Windows?" :)

kpkeerthi
February 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Registry cleaner?
Anti Virus?
Disk defrag?

toupeiro
February 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM
"How long do I have to activate it?"

::edit:: with specific regard to ubuntu. for anyone who was about to throw SLED at me... :-P

Vadi
February 13th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I can't really laugh at Linux's not so much of a success on the desktop. Because if it were, then these questions wouldn't be asked.

beercz
February 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Not really funny I suppose and slightly off topic, but hell, here goes.

When I am using Pidgin to chat to my MSN contacts, I sometimes get "winks" and they ask me if I got it (as I don't reply with another wink which seems to be customary if you are using MSN Live Messenger).

When I say "No - didn't get your wink" they ask me why not, I tell them that I am not running windows and then off we go onto another 'why I don't use windows' conversation.

Vadi
February 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I don't like the very obtrusive winks either from MSN, so I'm actually glad pidgin can't do them. Smileys are just fine :|

beercz
February 13th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I don't like the very obtrusive winks either from MSN, so I'm actually glad pidgin can't do them. Smileys are just fine :|
Couldn't agree more!

billgoldberg
February 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
From wich sites can I download ubuntu programs?

Gigamo
February 13th, 2008, 02:40 PM

No smileys at all is even better :p I much prefer reading : ) than :)

ubuntu-freak
February 13th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Some newbies might be offended by this thread. Anything new has a learning curve.

Nathan

Zeroangel
February 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
"How do Install Norton Anti-Virus" (rofl)
:lolflag:

tuebinger
February 13th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I'm not offended. This is a great thread. I can relate to the one about where can you download Ubuntu programs. I think Ubuntu was installed on my system for a few days before I discovered package manager. (I knew it was there in the menu but I thought it was like the Windows Add/Remove programs application. I had no idea that it was a repository for installing/uninstalling 100s of programs) :) I can laugh now!

Zlatan
February 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Some newbies might be offended by this thread. Anything new has a learning curve.

Nathan

... as i was offended by those who use winxp?
i really don't think that thread is offensive. unless ubuntu is offensive to windows itself:D

diskotek
February 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM
i'm not sure if anybody answered the first question :(

k2t0f12d
February 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Okay, so this thread is a little more successful then it seemed to me to be initially. The nay sayers have a point about being worried about this sort of humour putting off new users. I think we are missing an opportunity here. Post with humor and not scorn, and if you can't think of a funny thing to post, post something that would make a good response to help someone who has asked one of the questions we find humorous.

quinnten83
February 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
From wich sites can I download ubuntu programs?

getdeb.net

RRosset
February 13th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Hhahaahahah this is funny!!! hahahaha! And i'm new to both linux and ubuntu!!!

hahaahhahaa

Btw, How do Install Norton Anti-Virus??? :confused:

Now, c'mon, I've got a lotta questions about ubuntu, but i try to learn. If i don't, then i'll be in the same place in a couple of months.

In the other hand, since i'm a newbie and I don't have any funny questions to post, I post a link to something funny about PHP, probably most of you guys read it in the past... but let's give it a try:

PHP FUNNY ARTICLE (http://www.bbspot.com/News/2000/6/php_suspend.html)

Bob

Scarath
February 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Bob

RTFM N00B!!!/111!!!!!!

teehee kidding of course - no one should get hurt feelings from this thread its just a laugh. We were all n00bs once (well most of us)

freebeer
February 13th, 2008, 05:49 PM

Given the tongue-in-cheek nature of this thread, I give you my (abbreviated) HOWTO Install Norton Anti-Virus on Ubuntu:

1) Install Virtual Machine
2) Install Windows OS in Virtual Machine
3) Install Norton in Windows instance on Virtual Machine

MaximB
February 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM
After I showed my uncle the compiz cube and effects : "Wow , Linux is a cool , how do I install this program on windows ?"

k2t0f12d
February 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Given the tongue-in-cheek nature of this thread, I give you my (abbreviated) HOWTO Install Norton Anti-Virus on Ubuntu:

1) Install Virtual Machine
2) Install Windows OS in Virtual Machine
3) Install Norton in Windows instance on Virtual Machine

In addendum to the above:

4) Put an Ubuntu LiveCD into your disc drive.
5) Boot your virtual machine with the Ubuntu LiveCD
6) Zero-fill your virtual hard drive with the `shred' comand, its a wonderful symbolic gesture.

ubuntu-freak
February 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
After I showed my uncle the compiz cube and effects : "Wow , Linux is a cool , how do I install this program on windows ?"

Okay....you got me with that one. I'll have to give you a =D>

dasunst3r
February 13th, 2008, 06:13 PM
People see my Linux machine with desktop effects and ask me, "Is this Vista?" This has happened on many occasions, but I leave them wanting to learn more about this cool-looking OS.

forrestcupp
February 13th, 2008, 06:58 PM

I've had people ask, "Does Linux run on Windows XP?"

I guess it does, if you use Wubi.

freebeer
February 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
6) Zero-fill your virtual hard drive with the `shred' comand, its a wonderful symbolic gesture.

http://www.freebeer.is-a-geek.org/graphics/lmao2.gif

Nice one!

Black Mage
February 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
This isn't really a question but more of a statement

"Ubuntu cannot be used in an office environment because it doesn't contain the essentials such as Microsoft World and Outlook."

k2t0f12d
February 13th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Also not a question, but told to me by a college Instructor who was teaching Microsoft office:

"Linux doesn't have a GUI."
"Trying to configure networking in Linux made my students cry."

MONODA
February 13th, 2008, 08:27 PM
"I have downloaded free stuffand they always have viruses, does ubuntu have a virus"
then when I install it for them
"Why does windows look like this?"

Black Mage
February 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM
The funny part is when you tell them "But it does have GUI" or " You can use OpenOffice and Evolution instead of Microsoft Stuff".

And they reply with some made up, muttered together, inchorenet repsonse, "but its still no um...user friendly. It takes umm. too much time and resources to adjust to open office....the learning curve is too high!"

And I just look at em and think "Oh man, you are NARROW minded."

MONODA
February 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM

hahaahhahaa

Btw, How do Install Norton Anti-Virus???

Now, c'mon, I've got a lotta questions about ubuntu, but i try to learn. If i don't, then i'll be in the same place in a couple of months.

In the other hand, since i'm a newbie and I don't have any funny questions to post, I post a link to something funny about PHP, probably most of you guys read it in the past... but let's give it a try:

PHP FUNNY ARTICLE

Bob
why dont you have any beans?

MONODA
February 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
People see my Linux machine with desktop effects and ask me, "Is this Vista?" This has happened on many occasions, but I leave them wanting to learn more about this cool-looking OS.
LOL same here i get pretty pissed when it happens for some reason. I also get:
"Is this the new windows?"
"Oh you installed mac on your laptop?"(cuz of the top panel
"how did you mix mac and windows!?!?!?!"(cuz of the top panel and window selector)
"why would microsoft and apple make a third OS and release it for free?"(I cant believve someone would actually say this)
"if its so good why is it free?"(I hate it when people say this!!!!!)
When I show them the virtual terminal:
"is that windows 95?"
When I show them all the custumisibility i get with compiz with the cube and stuff:
"will my xp get viruses?"
"how much does it cost?"
"can you but me a linux cd?"
Not a question but still:
"Im probably too stupid for linux"
lol got a bit off topic there lol
btw all of those REALLY happened. most when I took my laptop to school.

LaRoza
February 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I don't like making fun of people's lack of knowledge, but the funniest things I hear involve references to a DOS prompt, when the user doesn't have DOS installed, and when they expect drive letters.

I have to explain that DOS is an operating system (last one was Windows ME), Windows (NT, 2000, XP, and Vista) are not DOS based, Linux is also another operating system, and that drive letters are a relic of when MS was trying to be compatible with CP/M when MS-DOS was "new". On that note, I don't know why MS kept such a silly scheme, "C:" is just what "CP/M" used because it was the first letter of its name.

sarloth
February 13th, 2008, 08:46 PM

hahaahhahaa

PHP FUNNY ARTICLE (http://www.bbspot.com/News/2000/6/php_suspend.html)

Bob

It is odd that you have no beans.

That being said it looks like you are serious about the Norton thing. the answer to that is simple, you don't. You do not really need an AV from what I have seen/read, also even if you did, why Norton? AVG is 10x better, and infinitely cheaper.

I too lack in beans! Apparently you do not get any for your first post!

LaRoza
February 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Also not a question, but told to me by a college Instructor who was teaching Microsoft office:

"Linux doesn't have a GUI."

Linux doesn't have a GUI, you can run a GUI on Linux though. Unlike other operating systems, Linux doesn't mix the GUI and operating system. This way, it is very flexible, as you can get a CLI system, or plain X, or a bunch of other GUI's running on top of X.

I doubt this instructor made such distinctions, and probably used an older version of a distro and probably installed it as a server (and servers don't have GUI's, except for one that is not used much in the real world)

forrestcupp
February 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I have to explain that DOS is an operating system (last one was Windows ME), Windows (NT, 2000, XP, and Vista) are not DOS based, Linux is also another operating system, and that drive letters are a relic of when MS was trying to be compatible with CP/M when MS-DOS was "new". On that note, I don't know why MS kept such a silly scheme, "C:" is just what "CP/M" used because it was the first letter of its name.

Well, actually, I used DOS before hard drives were commonplace. A: and B: were reserved for 2 floppy drives. C: became the hard drive letter because A: and B: were already in use. People just don't remember that because no one even uses floppies anymore.

LaRoza
February 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Well, actually, I used DOS before hard drives were commonplace. A: and B: were reserved for 2 floppy drives. C: became the hard drive letter because A: and B: were already in use. People just don't remember that because no one even uses floppies anymore.

Well, I do know that, but C: is used because of CP/M's drive lettering scheme, it used "A: and B:" also for floppies, DOS was trying to be compatible with it.

And I do use floppies :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M

MONODA
February 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I cant believe I thought this at one point:
"Ok Ubuntu seems nice, but i would rather try Linux without any changes"(I thought linux was the os name not the kernel)
also me but my first ever encounter with linux (i did not even know i was using linux):
"Ok so I am installing debian from a (30MB) installer but the installation wont finish! could it still be downloading something?" (LOLOLOL this was also when I barely knew anything about computers or OSs, all I knew how to do was search free download and run an exe blindly at the time :P

k2t0f12d
February 13th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Linux doesn't have a GUI, you can run a GUI on Linux though. Unlike other operating systems, Linux doesn't mix the GUI and operating system. This way, it is very flexible, as you can get a CLI system, or plain X, or a bunch of other GUI's running on top of X.

I doubt this instructor made such distinctions, and probably used an older version of a distro and probably installed it as a server (and servers don't have GUI's, except for one that is not used much in the real world)

No. There were no versions or distros. She was explicitly saying that there is no GUI interface for Linux at all.

forrestcupp
February 14th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Well, I do know that, but C: is used because of CP/M's drive lettering scheme, it used "A: and B:" also for floppies, DOS was trying to be compatible with it.

And I do use floppies :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M
You still use floppies? Wow! I don't even think you can buy a new computer with a floppy drive.

Did you know that the Commodore 128 had a CP/M mode? I don't know if they actually got 100% compatibility or not.

No. There were no versions or distros. She was explicitly saying that there is no GUI interface for Linux at all.

Yeah, people are ridiculous. I love it when people who have no experience with something think they know more than someone who has experience. My brother-in-law's brother is an IT guy and I told him I use Linux. He kind of laughed at me in that superior way and said, "I don't get into the command line thing." People like that don't even realize that things have progressed to the point that you can do most things from a GUI now.

RRosset
February 14th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Hey guys... i'm just kidding about NAV... c'mon!! gimme some credit guys!!! i'm a noob! but i'm not THAT kinda noob! ahahahaha. I just have no beans since i'm new to the forum. But I search first, and ask then. And I know that linux is another chapter.

Anyway, My point was the funny link and o'course the joke about NAV. But it's easier face to face than here in the forum :sad:

LaRoza
February 14th, 2008, 01:40 AM
You still use floppies? Wow! I don't even think you can buy a new computer with a floppy drive.

Yeah, people are ridiculous. I love it when people who have no experience with something think they know more than someone who has experience. My brother-in-law's brother is an IT guy and I told him I use Linux. He kind of laughed at me in that superior way and said, "I don't get into the command line thing." People like that don't even realize that things have progressed to the point that you can do most things from a GUI now.

I use Floppies for some older distros that only come in floppy images :)

I had to look for a drive, a USB drive.

Anybody who deals with Windows should be proficient in the command line. It is essential to maintaining and using Windows properly. Sometimes, just to awe the clueless, I press Ctrl + Alt + F1 and do some C coding in Vim :-)

loudnlownoma
February 14th, 2008, 02:47 AM
It is odd that you have no beans.

That is because your post is in the cafe, where posts don't always amount to a hill of beans. Sorry, I know that was terrible, but I felt compelled to with such a wonderful setup...lol. But seriously, from what I understand, posts in the Cafe section don't add to your bean count. Only in the support forums.

gigaferz
February 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
this one is not "ha ha funny" but is kinda funny,,you know...

"Do I have to do ALL that for my wireless to work?"

beercz
February 14th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I remember - I used DOS - going back to version 2.1 Oh happy days ......

beercz
February 14th, 2008, 12:22 PM
"how did you mix mac and windows!?!?!?!"(cuz of the top panel and window selector)
"why would microsoft and apple make a third OS and release it for free?"(I cant believve someone would actually say this)
"is that windows 95?"
When I show them all the custumisibility i get with compiz with the cube and stuff:
"how much does it cost?"
I get very similar comments too! I just explain what I am using and why in a polite manner.

popch
February 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I use Floppies for some older distros that only come in floppy images

I had to look for a drive, a USB drive.

I don't suppose they're eight inch ones?

chris4585
February 14th, 2008, 08:07 PM
No smileys at all is even better :p I much prefer reading : ) than :)
+1 i do too x)

mr.propre
February 15th, 2008, 01:30 AM
* "Can I check my e-mail on your laptop?"
- "Sure, go ahead."
* 'Whats that?"
- "Its Ubuntu Linux, go and give it a try, you can use firefox to check your e-mail."
* "No I think I pass."
- "What about your e-mail?"
* "It's fine I will check it later"

---

On the other side of the force, my first dumb question about Linux (ubuntu) was: "How do you install php and apache?"
The answer from some dutch webforum: "You need to apt-get!" (nothing more)
I think it was Ubuntu 5.04 and it took until 6.06 until I retried Linux again. So no matter how dumb the questions are. Laugh with it in topics like this, but still give a good and friendly answer.

x0as
February 15th, 2008, 02:17 AM
"What's the point of using Linux?
I never understand why people would go that way as there's no software for Linux.
What can you do with it other than common web surfing and email?"

](*,)

johndc
February 15th, 2008, 03:47 AM
"How do I get that blue screen to come up?"

HappyFeet
February 15th, 2008, 04:00 AM
the funniest thing ive heard is not so much a question, but needs.

pre-Newb: " i need linux to run photoshop,dreamweaver,quickbooks,(insert list of 20 newer games) autocad,daemon tools,and utorrent"

actually, the list i just gave here is made up. the real list had many more windows apps on it.

uh,... maybe stay with windows?

Irihapeti
February 15th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Not a question, but a statement from one of my neighbours. He told me I was taking a huge risk not running anti-malware programs - he just can't believe that it's possible to operate a computer without them.

HappyFeet
February 15th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Not a question, but a statement from one of my neighbours. He told me I was taking a huge risk not running anti-malware programs - he just can't believe that it's possible to operate a computer without them.

i hear ya. but that's just the way it is. if it werent for "windows devotees" i wouldnt have a job right now. so im kind of torn between 2 worlds. 1 pays my bills, and the other occupies all my time. (i love every second of it, btw)

now back to your regularly scheduled program.....

Irihapeti
February 15th, 2008, 05:37 AM
i hear ya. but that's just the way it is. if it werent for "windows devotees" i wouldnt have a job right now. so im kind of torn between 2 worlds. 1 pays my bills, and the other occupies all my time. (i love every second of it, btw)

now back to your regularly scheduled program.....

True, the Windows mindset. I found it hard to believe, too. However, I figured that if it wasn't true, the forums would be full of people whose computers had been trashed by viruses etc. Not just here, but places like Castlecops.

My neighbour is just one of those who likes to make out he knows more than he does. What bothers me more is people whose laptops hold sensitive data, - I'm talking about doctors and counsellors/social workers here - who have had spyware problems and STILL insist on running the old stuff.

HappyFeet
February 15th, 2008, 06:10 AM
My neighbour is just one of those who likes to make out he knows more than he does. What bothers me more is people whose laptops hold sensitive data, - I'm talking about doctors and counsellors/social workers here - who have had spyware problems and STILL insist on running the old stuff.

that's what makes the world go round. different views, different lifestyles. different levels of computer experience. i love it.

Æniad
February 15th, 2008, 06:18 AM
"Can Linux connect to the internet?" - My dad

HappyFeet
February 15th, 2008, 06:20 AM
"Can Linux connect to the internet?" - My dad

wow. never heard that.

gsub
February 15th, 2008, 08:41 PM
<aside>

That comment about anti-malware got me thinking... I start firestarter as soon as I connect to the 'net, and it does register plenty of hits. I don't know enough about Linux to know which ports are open or closed, so my installation of Gutsy is in the default setting, i.e. I haven't fiddled with any of the network settings.

Does anyone know of any bad things that happened because of leaving firestarter off?

</aside>

freebeer
February 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM
<aside>
Does anyone know of any bad things that happened because of leaving firestarter off?
</aside>

"Asides" should have their own topic. :)

By default, Ubuntu doesn't have anything open unless you run a particular service (apache, ftp server, etc.) To verify this, you can use "shields up" to scan your machine to see what may be open. Linky (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2)

Sunnz
February 16th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Free as in free sex?

paintba||er
February 16th, 2008, 08:34 AM
The computer science teacher at my school had a list of OSs on the board from the computer tech classes one day...he spelled Linux "Lennix"...I had to correct him after I had finished laughing my *** off.

angry_johnnie
February 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I cant believe I thought this at one point:
"Ok Ubuntu seems nice, but i would rather try Linux without any changes"(I thought linux was the os name not the kernel)
also me but my first ever encounter with linux (i did not even know i was using linux):
"Ok so I am installing debian from a (30MB) installer but the installation wont finish! could it still be downloading something?" (LOLOLOL this was also when I barely knew anything about computers or OSs, all I knew how to do was search free download and run an exe blindly at the time :P
I remember thinking that when I first tried ubuntu. And I remember spending a good deal of time looking for the "real" linux. And I remember my best friend and I (both switched to linux at the same time, yay!) had a really hard time downloading and installing apps from different sites, before we discovered the package manager. Anyway, and regarding the original thread, the most frequent question I get is about compiz-fusion: "How do I install that in XP?" Or, "does that run in Vista?" And then I get really frustrated trying to explain to them that it is, in fact, an entirely different OS.

mr.propre
February 16th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Anyway, and regarding the original thread, the most frequent question I get is about compiz-fusion: "How do I install that in XP?" Or, "does that run in Vista?" And then I get really frustrated trying to explain to them that it is, in fact, an entirely different OS.

I remember a few to:

"Hey it's like Vista."
"Vista can do these things, Linux always steals from windows"

Or a user who tried vista

"I tried Vista 3d function and thought you could turn the windows like you do. But all it does is switching trough windows :-("

valke
February 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
prof: what are you doing to that machine?!?
andi: running linux off my hd...
prof: you do know that it's against the law to tamper with these terminals, right?
andi: (shift-alt-f2)
prof: i need to tell the dean!
andi: *wets pants laughing*

Chame_Wizard
February 20th, 2008, 11:01 PM
"Linux?what the heck is that?a new program?"
"Linux sucks,it's no customer friendly/more difficult than Windows?"

I hear/read from people who are M$ addict.

I already knew bit about Linux (for 3 years now,reading IT books/magazines ),before I officially using Kubunbtu as my distro(since 17-05-2007):KS.

Irihapeti
February 21st, 2008, 02:24 AM
After a meeting recently, I was talking to one of the participants about Linux, which he was familiar with. A third individual, hearing the conversation, asked, "What's Linux?"

Before I could say anything, my companion answered: "THE PENGUIN!"

LaRoza
February 21st, 2008, 02:28 AM
"ANY real web designer moved to ubuntu?"

3rdalbum
February 21st, 2008, 02:32 PM
If you think someone asking "Can I install Norton Antivirus on Linux" is funny, you should listen to my co-worker. She once handed me a burnt McAfee CD and asked "Can you install this virus on my computer?"

MONODA
February 21st, 2008, 03:20 PM
can you please bring linyks CDs to school tomarow?
word for word from an email LOL

stoodleysnow
February 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM
I despair! The world is so miserably unfair!
No one ever listens to the good guys...
:-(
But although slow, progress is being made.

I too have come across unbelievable situations involving the unenlightened.
"Does it have antivirus"
"Surely they must make some money out of it"
"If it's so good why haven't we heard of it/why isn't everybody already using it?"

](*,)

muximus
March 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
this is odd.. i can see your post and also your beans count=0 at the same time...

Jay Jay
March 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM
True questions asked of my Linux installation:

"So what version of Windows Is Linux based upon?"

"Does It use Windows or DOS as a base core?"

I'm not making these up...

Martje_001
March 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
You don' t get any for posting in the Community Cafe ;)

Chame_Wizard
March 14th, 2008, 02:56 AM
"huh, I didn't know Windows has a new OS"

MelissaEpiphany
March 14th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I agree with Sicofante.

As a relative newbie myself, I find it slightly intimidating to think someone is possibly sitting there having a s****** at my naivety while I'm making an effort to try something new and outside of my comfort zone.

Asking what and where the terminal is, is an essential question if you want to use Linux, I never used a terminal in Windows, so why would anyone think it funny someone asks? Just seems logical to me.

Laughing at cute newbie mistakes might not be intended to come across as a little arrogant, but it interprets itself that way, as it rests on the basis of someone's ignorance.

Cheers, Mel.

benny bronx
March 14th, 2008, 03:26 AM
ubuntu?
Linux?
I have some extra windows disks, do you want one?
Why not?

Edit: I should have added this came from someone just prior to his conversion to linux.

bilal.17
March 14th, 2008, 03:40 AM
"is that windows 95?"
"how much does it cost?"

:lolflag: i get that all the time... my friend once asked me if i was using vista and i told him it was linux with compiz fusion but then he told me that i must have been lying just so i couldnt show him how to make his computer to look like that... :)

Linuxratty
March 14th, 2008, 04:24 AM
"How do I go on line?"

I had to point said friend to the blue globe on the Mandriva task bar.

kenweill
March 15th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Linux is command prompt... Isn't it?
I always got questioned everytime i talk about linux.

forestpixie
March 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
how many of you are brave enough to laugh at yourself?

I can - my third thread

how do you bump a thread?

have to say I'd never bothered with any forum type thing beforehand though ;)

Barrucadu
March 15th, 2008, 06:43 PM
My dad, after seeing the compiz-fusion cube effect:
"Wow, you'll have to install that on my computer"
"I can't"
"Why?"
"I'm running Linux, you're running Windows."
"Oh... So there isn't a Windows version then?"
"Probably, but you'll have to pay for it."

Not particularly funny, but everyone who has seen compiz-fusion has asked me to put it on their Windows computer. Now, something that will be funny is my mum's reaction when she gets home. I installed Ubuntu to a 5GB partition on her laptop and made it the default OS in grub.

sajro
March 23rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
The classic, which we've all seen... "Why can't Linux be more like Windows?" :)

'Cause Linux isn't supposed to suck! ;)

deadguy87
March 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I have some funny comments from window users when they see me using/working/yelling-at my ubuntu install.

"So that one is Windows XP (reffering to my Toshiba laptop for my lame games) and that one is Windows Vista (refering to my Gateway with Ubu)?"
-I didn't even have compiz-fusion running at the moment-

"I bet it cost you alot to have somthing other then windows on your computer"

"So how did you get your screen to say "oobootoo" when it's starting?"

"So how can you open that many programs on that old thing and i can't on my new dell?"

"So what is the penguin all about?"

:lolflag: