PDA

View Full Version : game console programming

realitybites
February 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM
hi, i am looking for some advice about a console(any PS/Xbox version is ok) programming book, or a useful web source.
i also appreciate recommendation about directx programming books :)

RIchard James13
February 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM
With the PS and XBOX official development usually occurs with special developers kits which normally cost thousands of dollars but include everything you need. Also Sony and Microsoft normally only sell these kits to game development companies. However there are many in the modding communities of those consoles that work on letting homebrew games run. So I doubt greatly there are any books on the subject, outside of the developers kits but there may be many articles on the Internet on the subject.

If you google for homebrew xbox programming or homebrew playstation programming you should have plenty of reading to do.

You might also be interested in the following link.
http://www.xgamestation.com/
The Xgamestation is basically a games console designed to teach you how to make a game console, it is similar to an Atari 2600. The Hydra is aimed more at people interested in programming a muli-core console. Neither console should be compared to a playstation or xbox they are very different. It is just that they are pathways to learning and having fun. Also the guy who makes these consoles wrote a few DirectX books. I have never done any DirectX programming but have found one of his books useful in the past.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_adv_b/?search-alias=stripbooks&unfiltered=1&field-keywords=&field-author=andre+lamothe&field-title=&field-isbn=&field-publisher=&node=&url=&field-binding=&field-subject=&field-language=&field-dateop=&field-datemod=&field-dateyear=&sort=relevancerank&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=0&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=0
His books might be a bit old but they are full of useful information.

shaggy999
February 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM
For the Xbox 360 check out XNA development from Microsoft. They built XNA specifically so that amateur programmers could make 360 games. If you're really interested in game programming for consoles then this is a question better asked on gamedev.net.

realitybites
February 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
thanks for the answers.
i was still pre-searching about those topics when i opened this topic, asked same thing on a few local forums, and got similar answers.
@RIchard James13: actually i am more interested in multi-core, thanks again for the advice, i also found some DirectX books on my school's library, i will give some of them a try

@shaggy999: i am pretty new to game programming, so thanks for the website advice. and i will also check out XNA