PDA

View Full Version : Advice on comparing two different computers

MakLeod
February 12th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I'm going to be purchasing a laptop soon, and I'd like some input on how it's going to compare to my desktop performance-wise. Here are the specs:

Desktop:

Athlon 64 3200 (Overclocked to 2.55ghz) 512 kb L2 cache
Nvidia 6600GT (Overclocked 10%)
7200 RPM SATA HD
1 GB PC3200 (400mhz) Memory

Laptop:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5270 (1.4ghz) 2 Mb L2 cache
Nvidia 8400m GS
5400 RPM SATA HD
2 GB PC5300 (667mhz) Memory

To me it seems like they will be fairly comparable in terms of gaming, encoding video and audio, and overall speed. What does everyone else think?

Victormd
February 12th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know, they both seem to be pretty good. However, I would try to upgrade the HD on the laptop to 7200 RPM, specially if you're going to be dual booting with Vista (very memory intensive and requires a fast HD for swapping). Everything else looks fine! Did you look at the AMD based laptops? They usually come with 64bit dual core procs. and with Ubuntu you'll be able to take full advantage...

djbsteart1
February 12th, 2008, 07:41 PM
that seems about right, the laptop might actually have the desktop on some tasks, with more memory and a faster dual core chip.

MakLeod
February 12th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I'm not going to be using Vista at all, this will be a primarily Ubuntu only computer. I figured the laptop processor might even be quicker than my desktop one. Anyone have any other insight into either the processor comparison or the video cards?

forrestcupp
February 12th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I thought the Geforce 6600 might be slightly faster than the 8400 because it is the high-mid range compared to the low-end 8400. But according to this comparison site (http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88&pgno=3), the 8400 has the 6600 beat in everything but the memory bus width.

igknighted
February 12th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Thats a Athlon 64? No X2? I bet that laptop would run circles around the desktop.

intense.ego
February 13th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Thats a Athlon 64? No X2? I bet that laptop would run circles around the desktop.

Those were my thoughts too.

LaRoza
February 13th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I can't compare a laptop and a desktop, to me, they are entirely different types of computers.

I would recommend using a desktop for home use unless you need a portable computer also.

(Although I like the hardware of the laptop better.)

forrestcupp
February 13th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I can't compare a laptop and a desktop, to me, they are entirely different types of computers.

I would recommend using a desktop for home use unless you need a portable computer also.

(Although I like the hardware of the laptop better.)

Generally, I agree because desktops are so much easier to upgrade.

But when I saw an ad for a $5000 Dell laptop with dual Geforce 8700's in it, I became more open minded about the possibility of laptops being a power machine.

MakLeod
February 13th, 2008, 02:02 AM
So you think the 1.4ghz Core 2 Duo would really outperform the 2.5ghz A64? I've been looking around trying to find comparisons, but am unable to find anything of substance.

igknighted
February 13th, 2008, 02:26 AM
So you think the 1.4ghz Core 2 Duo would really outperform the 2.5ghz A64? I've been looking around trying to find comparisons, but am unable to find anything of substance.

By a country mile. That's a dual core processor, a much faster bus speed probably, faster memory in all likelihood... clock speed in comparing processors with such different architectures as an old Athlon64 and a new c2d are almost meaningless. For example, my desktop progression of processors goes like this: 3.0ghz p4 to a 2.4 ghz Athlon64, to a 1.8ghz Athlon64 x2... and the newest one blows the others out of the water.

Basically, if it's a c2d, right now it will smoke anything right now (save for the phenom, but that only does alright because it's priced so much lower... all the intel quad cores are faster right now)

EDIT: You will notice that the 5400rpm HD will likely slow that down a bit, but it saves a lot of battery life. If you value portability stay with the 5400rpm drive, if you will be plugged in most of the time, a 7200rpm drive may be preferable.

forrestcupp
February 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Actually, that's not necessarily the case. Not long ago, I did a comparison between my Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.2 GHz to an Athlon X2 3800 @ 2.0 GHz. I wish I still had the link to the web site for you. Anyway, for software that isn't created to be multi-threaded, the old 3500+ outperformed the X2 3800. In non-SMP software, the higher clock speed will outperform. Where you will see the difference is when you are running software that is made for multiple cores, and if you are multi-tasking. So a dual core with half the clock speed won't necessarily beat out the single core with twice the speed unless you're doing stuff that's made for it. And the comparison I was looking at had intel core2duos in the list too.

MakLeod
February 13th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. Now, for a slightly different topic, does anyone know if Dell's bios on their laptops allows for overclocking. I plan on purchasing a Vostro 1400 with the C2D T5270 @ 1.4ghz. From what I've read, C2D's overclock very well. I just hope that Dell's bios allows for it...

igknighted
February 13th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. Now, for a slightly different topic, does anyone know if Dell's bios on their laptops allows for overclocking. I plan on purchasing a Vostro 1400 with the C2D T5270 @ 1.4ghz. From what I've read, C2D's overclock very well. I just hope that Dell's bios allows for it...

I would not recommend OC'ing a laptop. Not only will it drain the battery much quicker, but laptops are very poor at staying cool, you wouldn't be able to push it very far without damaging it.

MakLeod
February 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Yea, I just searched some other forums and found that Dell won't even let you overclock through the BIOS. Oh well, better that I don't take the chance of frying it.

djbsteart1
March 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Yea, I just searched some other forums and found that Dell won't even let you overclock through the BIOS. Oh well, better that I don't take the chance of frying it.

Very few large manufacturers allow overclocking, probably something to o with warranties.