PDA

View Full Version : How your OS predicts who you are

Black Mage
February 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
This is an article from the Metro paper that predicts the type of person you are based on the operating system that you use.

For me it doesn;t quite say who I am because I use both Ubuntu and Leopard, but I am in the forums a lot....

aaaantoine
February 12th, 2008, 04:56 PM
They're a bit condescending to us Ubuntu folk, I feel. Then again, the article basically condescends anyone who uses a computer. That is, except for people who use Windows XP (or, due to lack of space, a different Linux distro).

Tristam Green
February 12th, 2008, 05:00 PM
It is rather condescending to anyone who isn't Windows.

It paints Windows XP users as "normal average joes" while painting everyone else in this rather horrific light.

What about those of us who run WinXP on a Homebuilt Computer at home, while running Ubuntu on a pre-built laptop?

Does that make me a mutt?:lolflag:

kerry_s
February 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM
:lolflag:
ya think that took him 5 minutes to type up while drinking his starbucks coffee and chowing down on his whole brand muffin in a window both in the back of the shop?

igknighted
February 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I thought that was fairly equally condescending to all groups involved... it basically told windows users that they have no personality beyond what everyone else does. Humorous all around, IMHO.

zachtib
February 12th, 2008, 05:36 PM
so, ubuntu users are developers, engineers, or college students?

funny, I'm all of the above

koleoptero
February 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Just the fact that he included windows ME proves that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about. But it is funny nonetheless.:)

FuturePilot
February 12th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I don't see anyone here "crushing the hopes of noobs" :-s:-k

NilsHG
February 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM

which is another indication that the author has no idea what he is writing about :popcorn:

Zeroangel
February 12th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Haha. That is hilarious. It would be more concise if there was just a big picture of a middle finger instead of an article.

Thanks for posting it.

ExpatPaul
February 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM

maybe he's thinking of Python programmers ;)

argie
February 12th, 2008, 07:08 PM
That's us, crushing the hopes of noobs since the turn of the century. It's all in good fun, so it's cool. I like how they put us in the developer, engineer, college student category. Somehow I always regarded that bunch as smart.

Vadi
February 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I sense bitterness in that article.

Oh well. Most people didn't really have a choice in their operating system. There are some that don't know what one is even.

Trail
February 13th, 2008, 02:34 PM
At least he regards Ubuntu as a major OS. But let me go back to crushing noobs' hopes...

jaytek13
February 13th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Haha. That is hilarious. It would be more concise if there was just a big picture of a middle finger instead of an article.

Thanks for posting it.

Agreed. And, everyone here should lighten up a little!

tuebinger
February 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Does anyone still use Windows ME?

Darkhack
February 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Firstly, it was very condescending like the others have said. Secondly, it was very poorly written. I'm surprised such bad writing bad it into a newspaper like The New York Times. There isn't really any content. I felt like I just wasted my life reading the article. I can forgive the internet for that. The internet was designed to waste my life, but most people who read a hard-copy newspaper are probably expecting real news and information. That was just boring and pointless.

aaaantoine
February 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Does anyone still use Windows ME?

About 0.36% (http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpcustom=Windows+ME) of web-surfing computers are running Windows ME. Thankfully, this number is dropping steadily.

SZF2001
February 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Oh wow. I had to stop my noob crushing to read all this hubub. :-|

Oh wait, I don't have as many posts as...

OHSHI-

kool_kat_os
February 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
haha

Washer
February 13th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Firstly, it was very condescending like the others have said.
Not condescending enough. I liked the first two points, but the later ones weren't as good.