PDA

View Full Version : How to install gtalk on ubuntu for gmail chat

anbumanij
February 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Hi frnds,

Is there any gtalk application to chat in ubuntu.if so pls help me out

lnostdal
February 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
it's already installed by default in ubuntu .. you find it in the menus: Applications -> Internet -> Pidgin Internet Messenger

also see http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=24073

karthikbalaji
February 12th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Using pidgin cannot do voice chat. Only gtalk supports it :(.

If u want to do voice chat use skype.

Thanks,
Karthik.

mozetti
February 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM
For voice chat you can use Tapioca. The project appears to be dead, but I used it in the past and voice chat worked fine.

SOULRiDER
February 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
This thread shouldnt be here!

deepclutch
April 25th, 2008, 01:21 PM
empathy fails!tapioca does not even react!what next??? any gtalk VOIP client which is compatible with ESD?

Triscuit713
April 27th, 2008, 04:47 PM
There is an updated version of the Empathy client with voice enabled for Jingle/Gtalk users. You also must be
using Hardy.

https://launchpad.net/~telepathy/+archive

Often time, I see people make suggestions that they haven't tried themselves. Well, I have tried this. It sort of works.

I've had two talks. The first lasted about 16 minutes, and I could hear the other person loud and clear. Unfortunately, my usb webcam mic (Logitech STX) wouldn't work. This is because Pulseaudio identifies the default mic as the mic input on the motherboard. The default mic can be changed by installing paudevchooser. I didn't discover this until today, though.

In the second talk I had, I disabled pulseaudio and had gstreamer send all audio through alsa instead. Therefore my mic worked, and we could hear each other. However, this only lasted for about 30 seconds before we each became silent again. I don't know if it's due to alsa, gstreamer, or something pulseaudio related that I forgot to disable.

I will try again tonight with pulseaudio output/input and see if results change.

Get the word out that working jingle audio exists. This project needs more testers as far as I can tell.