PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs DSL - Whats the story?

Amstell
February 12th, 2008, 06:04 AM
So I am currently on a 10mb connection through time warner cable. I am currently paying $30 a month and now they want to charge me $50 for it. The connection is not that fast though I do get 1mb/s sometimes which is nice. But I can get AT&T DSL up too 3 mb connection.

Can anyone tell me what the difference will be in speed. My roommate and I use the internet a lot for work and school and need a fast connection but don't want to spend $50 for a cable connection. Just doesn't make any sense.

Anyone have any recommendations or what I should do. Thanks guys

Peace

Amstell

p_quarles
February 12th, 2008, 06:17 AM
AT&T DSL is fine. I have a 1.5m/384k connection. The connection & speed is very consistent, and I haven't noticed any traffic shaping.

Amstell
February 12th, 2008, 06:19 AM
AT&T DSL is fine. I have a 1.5m/384k connection. The connection & speed is very consistent, and I haven't noticed any traffic shaping.

What kind of download per second are you getting. That is what I am worried about because I can get up to 1.2 kbps sometimes

p_quarles
February 12th, 2008, 06:20 AM
What kind of download per second are you getting. That is what I am worried about because I can get up to 1.2 kbps sometimes
If the server on the other end is okay, I get the full 1.5m downloading.

Amstell
February 12th, 2008, 06:22 AM
If the server on the other end is okay, I get the full 1.5m downloading.

Nice thanks....

anyone have AT&T DSL in San Diego

hellmet
February 12th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I use the 1.5m/384 from ATT too.. Its completely reliable. And its just $23.99.. $50 is like WTF?

jpittack
February 12th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I have an adsl connection from qwest. Its supposed to be 3m but get this. In Vista, late in the night, I was having some really fast loading pages. I checked the speed. 4.5m! Huge upload speeds too. I switched to Ubuntu, and I was pulling, sigh, 150kb.

Don't let that deter you though. I can get up to 700kb most days. Mainly through the updates.

yatt
February 12th, 2008, 08:00 AM
So I am currently on a 10mb connection through time warner cable. I am currently paying $30 a month and now they want to charge me $50 for it. The connection is not that fast though I do get 1mb/s sometimes which is nice. But I can get AT&T DSL up too 3 mb connection.

Can anyone tell me what the difference will be in speed. My roommate and I use the internet a lot for work and school and need a fast connection but don't want to spend $50 for a cable connection. Just doesn't make any sense.

Anyone have any recommendations or what I should do. Thanks guys

Peace

Amstell
You are currently at 10mb and the dsl will be 3mb. You should expect the performance to be about 30% what you have now based on what you have given (3mb/10mb*100%).

I have 3mb, and my usual download speed is actually in the area of 150kb/s, though it can hit 200kb/s sometimes.

Based on the numbers you gave, you should expect absolutely slow internet if you do switch.

Amstell
February 12th, 2008, 08:40 AM
You are currently at 10mb and the dsl will be 3mb. You should expect the performance to be about 30% what you have now based on what you have given (3mb/10mb*100%).

I have 3mb, and my usual download speed is actually in the area of 150kb/s, though it can hit 200kb/s sometimes.

Based on the numbers you gave, you should expect absolutely slow internet if you do switch.

I understand what you are saying but I am getting 10mb to the cable control box for this area but from there the bandwidth is shared. But with DSL it is restricted based on how far it is from the CO. I am about 3 miles from the CO and with a 3 mb connection I am expecting somewhat of a good connection. Thanks for your input but if you are on a 1.5 mb DSL connection it sounds like you are getting really bad speed.

Thanks though.

Cheers

forrestcupp
February 12th, 2008, 04:48 PM
If you already have a land line phone, that's great. But if not, you'll have to pay around $25 for a basic phone line and the cost of DSL on top of that. It ends up being around the same price as cable and the connection is usually a little slower.

I don't have a land line, so I just use cable internet. I got lucky, though. They had a cheaper 3 Mbps service for only $25 when I signed on. They just got rid of that service a couple of weeks ago, but they're letting the people that already had it stay with it.

biggyfred
February 12th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I understand what you are saying but I am getting 10mb to the cable control box for this area but from there the bandwidth is shared. But with DSL it is restricted based on how far it is from the CO. I am about 3 miles from the CO and with a 3 mb connection I am expecting somewhat of a good connection. Thanks for your input but if you are on a 1.5 mb DSL connection it sounds like you are getting really bad speed.

Thanks though.

Cheers

The quality of the line is much more important (in a relative sense) than the distance from the CO. Every splice along the way must be a quality splice for you to get the full bandwidth potential from DSL.

To illustrate, I live in an old apartment complex. My wire is 40 years old and lord knows how many times they've spliced this and that. I'm on the 1.5 down plan, getting around 200k max. I jumped up to the 3meg plan, and kept right on getting 200k. I went back down and voila! Still 200k.

There are also other things outside of your control. When they wire you in for DSL, the tech may be in a hurry and not make a great connection which will also be a problem.

Just something to think about.

If you can get a tester line, a month free with no contract or something similar that will let you try it out, I'd do that if at all possible, or ask your neighbors that use DSL. That'd be the best way to find your true speed potential.

/ex-DSL-tech

Oh, and we used to describe cable as a fire hydrant. Great if you're the only one drinking from it. DSL is more like a water hose. You'll sure miss the hydrant when you see the trickle, but boy that trickle looks awful good when there's 100 people trying to get at the hydrant.

RRosset
February 12th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Gotta be kidding me man! i'm paying about $150 (that means USD 50, yeah, but it's the same amount of money here, and almost everywhere) for 3.5MB, i usually got that speed (between 380 and 400 Kb). 5MB is about $550 (USD 180). And there's no company offering 10Mb to final customers. I'd be glad to pay USD 50 for 10Mb!!! ahahaha honestly! :(

Later!

Bob