PDA

View Full Version : Display terminal output??

Ride Jib
September 27th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Ok, I am finally getting around to creating my first linux application. I'm working with Glade and C++.

Now, before I get into the heart of my program, I want to have a panel (terminal) showing me everything that is going on in the backgroud (for debugging purposes). For example, I want to automatically install a .bin file, but I want to be able to see that I am not receiving error messages from this process. Any ideas on how to do this, or links with information that might be helpful?

Thanks

banadushi
September 27th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Why not just print out debugging info to the console if the program is started with a '-v' flag?. Just use getopt to see if you got a '-v' flag, and then everywhere you need to write output, just wrap it in an 'if' statement. Check out the GETOPT(3) man page for a quick and dirty example.

Have a good one.

Jason

thumper
September 27th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Why not just print out debugging info to the console if the program is started with a '-v' flag?. Just use getopt to see if you got a '-v' flag, and then everywhere you need to write output, just wrap it in an 'if' statement. Check out the GETOPT(3) man page for a quick and dirty example.

Have a good one.

Jason
I can really recommend boost program options (http://www.boost.org/doc/html/program_options.html) instead of getopt. The examples are reasonably easy to follow and make for a better command line parser.

That said, I do agree with the writing to standard output when in verbose mode (-v or --verbose).

Ride Jib
September 27th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Alright, thanks for the input. I will give it a whirl...

LordHunter317
September 27th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Alright, thanks for the input. I will give it a whirl...
If it's error output or would interfer with the normal output of the program, place it on cerr and not cout.

Ride Jib
September 27th, 2005, 07:00 PM
What I actually had in mind was something along the lines of Synaptics "Terminal" view. Anyone know how this was done?

wmcbrine
September 28th, 2005, 01:56 AM
I don't know how it's done in Synaptic, but if you only need the output, I suggest popen(). I just hacked up a quick and dirty version of this with Glade -- made a window, dropped a Text View in it, and edited main() as follows:

int
main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
GtkWidget *window1, *textview1;
GtkTextBuffer *text;
FILE *commandoutput;
int currchar;
gchar addit[2];

#ifdef ENABLE_NLS
bindtextdomain (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR);
bind_textdomain_codeset (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "UTF-8");
textdomain (GETTEXT_PACKAGE);
#endif

gtk_set_locale ();
gtk_init (&argc, &argv);

add_pixmap_directory (PACKAGE_DATA_DIR "/" PACKAGE "/pixmaps");

/*
* The following code was added by Glade to create one of each component
* (except popup menus), just so that you see something after building
* the project. Delete any components that you don't want shown initially.
*/
window1 = create_window1 ();
gtk_widget_show (window1);

textview1 = lookup_widget(window1, "textview1");
text = gtk_text_view_get_buffer((GtkTextView *) textview1);

commandoutput = popen("ls -al", "r");

addit[1] = '\0';

while ((currchar = fgetc(commandoutput)) != EOF) {
addit[0] = currchar;
gtk_text_buffer_insert_at_cursor(text, addit, 1);
}

pclose(commandoutput);

gtk_main ();
return 0;
}

LordHunter317
September 28th, 2005, 05:18 PM
What I actually had in mind was something along the lines of Synaptics "Terminal" view. Anyone know how this was done?
You don't want to do this unless your application is a daemon or some other sort of service. Debug output to the terminal, normally with the ability to disable is the norm and standard, even for X11 applications.