PDA

View Full Version : Locked myself out of router - be greatful for help!

Steve Smith
September 27th, 2005, 12:36 AM
I've got a Sitecom WL-025 router plugged into a new Belkin router. I have the modem plugged into the Belkin and am just going to use the Sitecom as a wi-fi access point. I had no internet access on the Sitecom, so I turned RIP (on the Sitecom) and in my ignorance shoved the IP of the Belkin into a box. From what I can gather the Sitecom is now forwarding all local network requests to the Belkin, including requests to its own IP - so I can't sign in to the Sitecom to change anything!

Could someone help me out of this hole please?! I can't reset it to factory defaults because I can't sign in!

macgyver2
September 27th, 2005, 12:38 AM
I can't reset it to factory defaults because I can't sign in!
Is there a little reset button (one of those paper-clip specials) you can use to reset the router?

Steve Smith
September 27th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Is there a little reset button (one of those paper-clip specials) you can use to reset the router?
That was quick, thanks! Yes, but it seems to just do a power off/power on reset, not a factory reset. I also tried holding it down while I switched the power on but no joy. The user manual is about 20 miles away...

majikstreet
September 27th, 2005, 12:53 AM
That was quick, thanks! Yes, but it seems to just do a power off/power on reset, not a factory reset. I also tried holding it down while I switched the power on but no joy. The user manual is about 20 miles away...
call the company?

macgyver2
September 27th, 2005, 01:01 AM
I found the manual online...

To Clear All Data and restore the factory default values:

Power Off.

Hold the Reset Button down while you Power On.

Keep holding the Reset Button for a few seconds, until the RED Status LED on the front panel has flashed TWICE.

Release the Reset Button. The WL-025 is now using the factory default values.

Steve Smith
September 27th, 2005, 01:29 AM
I found the manual online...
Would it be inappropriate to say I love you?? :) Thank you!! Out of interest, what did you Google to find the manual? I couldn't find it.

macgyver2
September 27th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Would it be inappropriate to say I love you?? :) Thank you!! Out of interest, what did you Google to find the manual? I couldn't find it.
Heh heh :) No problem, that's what the forums are here for. And I tried googling first, but I didn't find the manual so I went to the Sitecom site (www.sitecom.com) and found it under the Support section.

Steve Smith
September 27th, 2005, 01:39 AM
hehe :). Oh, I went to sitecom.com, guess I was in too much of a flap that I'd written my router off to notice the manuals. Don't suppose you know how to do what I was trying to do in the first place, do you?

Edit: It works! Didn't change anything, now it's back to defaults I'm in business. Two birds with one stone, as they say. Thanks again :)

macgyver2
September 27th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Hmm...no, I unfortunately I don't. Never set up something like that myself.

Edit: I know this isn't Ubuntu-specific, but maybe a moderator can move this to the Networking forum? Maybe it would heighten the chance that a network guru that just hangs out there might see it.

Edit2: Nevermind, I'm just a bit slow tonight. :)

Steve Smith
September 27th, 2005, 02:54 AM
I guess you didn't understand my edit above. Everything's working now as I want it. Resetting to defaults seems to have cured the rooting problem as well, though I don't know why, as it was supposedly on defaults to start with :). Thanks, tho!