PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu or Kabuntu 5.10

Omnios
September 26th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Hio I have Ubuntu with KDE installed to check out Kde and am waiting for 5.10 to come out. I have read a lot about Ubuntu and all the neet stuff that is comming out but would like to know what is happening with Kabuntu and what new goodies it will have.

I realy like Gnome functionality but prefear the look and feel of KDE. With some suggestions I may be able to make an informed choice. Only thing I didnt like about KDE was it was to simplistic on the verg of being scarce compared to gnome.

Orunitia
September 26th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I'd say just use what you like, or even both. Right now I'm using KDE on breezy and love it, but I also use gnome when I feel like it.

tageiru
September 26th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Only thing I didnt like about KDE was it was to simplistic on the verg of being scarce compared to gnome.
Say what? The criticism of KDE is mostly that there is too much functionality availible to users that it deters from its usability. Gnome on the other hand has a simpler and more elegant interface but lacks som configurability.

Are you sure you installed KDE correctly?

ruvil
September 27th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Just apt-get install kde with your Ubuntu(terminal). and you can use both gnome and kde.

Hio I have Ubuntu with KDE installed to check out Kde and am waiting for 5.10 to come out. I have read a lot about Ubuntu and all the neet stuff that is comming out but would like to know what is happening with Kabuntu and what new goodies it will have.

I realy like Gnome functionality but prefear the look and feel of KDE. With some suggestions I may be able to make an informed choice. Only thing I didnt like about KDE was it was to simplistic on the verg of being scarce compared to gnome.

GeneralZod
September 27th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Say what? The criticism of KDE is mostly that there is too much functionality availible to users that it deters from its usability. Gnome on the other hand has a simpler and more elegant interface but lacks som configurability.

Are you sure you installed KDE correctly?

I heard more-or-less the same criticism of KDE ("less configurable than GNOME") made by another member. I was absolutely floored! :)

Omnios
September 27th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Played around with KDE a bit more and found more stuff to fiddle with, think its because its all out in from in gnome with the menu. Lots of stuff now lol

Omnios
September 28th, 2005, 12:41 AM
I hate to say this but the more I play with KDE the more it rocks! I loved gnome but KDE is a bit quicker so will haave to see what way I go.

drizek
September 28th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Yes kde does rock. You obviously hadnt seen the control center when you said it didnt have as many options ;)