PDA

View Full Version : UbunTube feedback

macewan
February 11th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Hey everyone,

It's been way too long since my last visit here and yes I do still Ubuntu at both work and home. The reason behind this latest post is a site I've put up to show case Ubuntu's capabilities with video and what I considered, at least at the time to be a catchy domain.
:guitar:
The site is UbunTube (http://ubuntube.net).net. As in Ubuntu Tube since the videos come from Youtube. Originally the site was set up for folks looking to quickly check their Firefox Flash sound problems, but I've found myself heading over there from time to time just for the hell of it.

What I'm looking for is feedback on the site name, layout design and suggestions for tags I may have overlooked. Current tags are listed below.
Ubuntu (http://ubuntube.net/t/Ubuntu.html)
Linux (http://ubuntube.net/t/Linux.html)
Beryl (http://ubuntube.net/t/Beryl.html)
Compiz (http://ubuntube.net/t/Compiz.html)
Linux (http://ubuntube.net/t/Linux.html)Both positive and negative feedback is requested and thanks in advance if you decide to check it out. In the event I'm not a total loser by putting this site up and folks generally like it I may spruce up the design or hire someone from DP.

I do realize there are other sites by now, at least there should be, that do the same thing, but this is a bit of a pet project to give back by promoting Ubuntu's kick *** visual superiority and plug-in wickedness over both Vista and Leopard.

Again thank you.
Robert

23meg
February 11th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Did you read http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy?

Vitamin-Carrot
February 11th, 2008, 06:54 AM
ok thats an awesome site by the way Ive seen ubuntu vs. windows vids on you tube and it seems the ubuntu always comes out on top.

Gripe Time:

What i dont get is hwy so many people feel then need to dress their OS up like another OS ... seriously we get emerald a great theme manager with loads of xtra eye candy but we use it to make out beloved Deb based OS ubuntu look like windows vista I mean CMON! if you want an os like windows then why dont you just use windows? or these darling little dock menus that are straight out of the macOS WTH!! i know macs are kinda expensive and stuff but if you want your OS to look like a mac so much why dont you just get a mac?

anyways love the site

macewan
February 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Guess I'm guilty of that myself though at the time it felt more along the lines of seeing if it were possible.

Thanks for the feedback.

ok thats an awesome site by the way Ive seen ubuntu vs. windows vids on you tube and it seems the ubuntu always comes out on top.

Gripe Time:

What i dont get is hwy so many people feel then need to dress their OS up like another OS ... seriously we get emerald a great theme manager with loads of xtra eye candy but we use it to make out beloved Deb based OS ubuntu look like windows vista I mean CMON! if you want an os like windows then why dont you just use windows? or these darling little dock menus that are straight out of the macOS WTH!! i know macs are kinda expensive and stuff but if you want your OS to look like a mac so much why dont you just get a mac?

anyways love the site

aimran
February 11th, 2008, 09:34 PM
if you want an os like windows then why dont you just use windows? or these darling little dock menus that are straight out of the macOS WTH!! i know macs are kinda expensive and stuff but if you want your OS to look like a mac so much why dont you just get a mac?

1. I think that the popular opinion is that Win/Mac GUIs look professional/polished.

2. You're making a fallacy that an OS is defined by its looks. Why is it a fallacy? Firstly, because there is no link between eye-candy and the operations of the system. Secondly, switching GUIs is easy; think windows blinds and AlienWare skins.

3. Based on 1 and 2, Linux users can achieve the professional looks of commercial OSes and the flexibility of customising their GUIs without the overheads of Win/Mac.

Edit:

IMHO gOS and EeePC took GUI design to a more professional level than Ubuntu did.

aaaantoine
February 11th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Gripe Time:

It's one thing to want Windows. It's another thing entirely to want only the look and feel of Windows, but the underpinnings of Linux.

To rephrase on behalf of mac imitators: It's one thing to buy OSX. It's another thing entirely to get the look and feel of Mac OSX with a FREE operating system.

Cost of entry for Mac OS X: $600 for a Mac Mini.
Cost of entry for Linux: An existing PC ($0).

popch
February 11th, 2008, 09:41 PM
1. I think that the popular opinion is that Win/Mac GUIs look professional/polished.

2. You're making a fallacy that an OS is defined by its looks. Why is it a fallacy? Firstly, because there is no link between eye-candy and the operations of the system. Secondly, switching GUIs is easy; think windows blinds and AlienWare skins.

3. Based on 1 and 2, Linux users can achieve the professional looks of commercial OSes and the flexibility of customising their GUIs without the overheads of Win/Mac.

Edit:

IMHO gOS and EeePC took GUI design to a more professional level than Ubuntu did.

I agree in nearly all points. I do nearly but not fully agree with "no link between eye-candy and the operations of the system".

Some of the eye candy might actually contribute towards more efficient use of the UI and thus of the complete system.

Also, perceived professionalism of the product contributes to the confidence with which the user uses the product. Hence the need for 'sound engineers' to design the way how consumer goods sound when used. Take the Zippo lighter and the noises of car engines, car doors and car interiors while cruising.

aimran
February 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I agree in nearly all points. I do nearly but not fully agree with "no link between eye-candy and the operations of the system".

Some of the eye candy might actually contribute towards more efficient use of the UI and thus of the complete system.

What I meant is would clicking an icon on the "dock" make the system execute the program faster as opposed to launching it from the CLI? That kind of system level operations.

I do agree though that some eye-candy do contribute to user efficiency.

Vitamin-Carrot
February 12th, 2008, 12:29 AM
What I meant is would clicking an icon on the "dock" make the system execute the program faster as opposed to launching it from the CLI? That kind of system level operations.

I do agree though that some eye-candy do contribute to user efficiency.

Yes but eye candy can also hinder the effency of an OS if the machine specs dont really meet whats required for said effects to be displayed.

i can understand reskinning an OS just because you sick of the original but I still dont understand why people feel the need to make an OS look like another. There are plenty of themes available under emerald that dont look like any other OS and are still very clean and professional.

I understand that cool little dsktop widgets can make things both easier while having that cool facter just to break being bored of the standard vanilla theme but isnt it possible to get somehting that both caters to your needs and is original in design?

A large number of my Unix Co-wrokers agree with me in the fatc that i put forth the question once again Why?

macewan
February 12th, 2008, 12:44 AM
We're in agreement on that point. Also consider that it cost nothing for us to theme our systems to our desire. What's the price of a completely customizeable Windows < insert flavor of day > or taking complete control of your OSX?

Correct me if I'm wrong but both require third part apps to take over completely for full blown theme control.

It's freedom to kick ***. Check out this freaking clip of ASUS eeepc 701 running compiz-fusion (http://ubuntube.net/v/ZzzhEs9XGuE.html).

http://www.macewan.org/images/AsusEEEpc701CompizFusion.jpg (http://ubuntube.net/v/ZzzhEs9XGuE.html)

Maybe we're looking at this other OS theme situation the wrong way. Could it be that deep down we do it just to show ourselves that it's not worth the switch only to get the dock installed by default?

=)

It's one thing to want Windows. It's another thing entirely to want only the look and feel of Windows, but the underpinnings of Linux.

To rephrase on behalf of mac imitators: It's one thing to buy OSX. It's another thing entirely to get the look and feel of Mac OSX with a FREE operating system.

Cost of entry for Mac OS X: $600 for a Mac Mini.
Cost of entry for Linux: An existing PC ($0).

aimran
February 12th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I understand that cool little dsktop widgets can make things both easier while having that cool facter just to break being bored of the standard vanilla theme but isnt it possible to get somehting that both caters to your needs and is original in design?

Here again we run into the same theme as why people prefer to use Nike/Armani/GAP instead of any old brandless clothing. I won't go into the whys but let's just say this problem isn't only OS specific. It's a part of human behaviour.

Hence it's futile to try changing people's perspective on this :)

Vitamin-Carrot
February 12th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Im not trying to change peoples perspective I just merely ask WHY?
Are we as a race so sheep like that while to define ourselves we copy off each other?

Or is it that while we strive to define our individuality we forget that everyone else is doing the same therefore making us like everyone else?

oh dears ... its a tangent full of randoms