PDA

View Full Version : Bash shell scripting and for loops

xaque
September 26th, 2005, 08:15 PM
I'm trying to write a shell script that detects all USB drives currently attached to the computer and notifies you of where they are mounted. I have this much so far:

DISKS_FOUND=`df | awk '/\/dev\/sd/ {print $1 " " $6}'`

I then wanted to have a loop of some sort that would parse $DISKS_FOUND and output something like "$I is mounted at $M", where $I would be /dev/sd?, and $M would be it's mount point. Does anyone know how to do this, or possibly a better way of doing it entirely?

Thanks in advance.
Xaque

bkasterm
September 26th, 2005, 08:46 PM
j=0; for i in `df | awk '/\/dev\/hda/ {print $1 " " $6}'`; do if test $j -eq 0 ; then first=$i; j=1 ; else echo $first mounted on $i; j=0; fi ; done

is a way to do this (note used hda in stead of sd, as I don't have any usb drives mounted to test).

Best,
Bart

jerome bettis
September 26th, 2005, 10:09 PM
that's very nice but you can type "mount" to see pretty much the same information. maybe you could write a simpler script to format the output of that command to your liking.

majikstreet
September 26th, 2005, 10:11 PM
j=0; for i in `df | awk '/\/dev\/hda/ {print $1 " " $6}'`; do if test $j -eq 0 ; then first=$i; j=1 ; else echo $first mounted on $i; j=0; fi ; done

is a way to do this (note used hda in stead of sd, as I don't have any usb drives mounted to test).

Best,
Bart

Btw, on my system my usb drives are on /dev/sdXX
just thought that may help..

xaque
September 27th, 2005, 03:20 PM
that's very nice but you can type "mount" to see pretty much the same information. maybe you could write a simpler script to format the output of that command to your liking.

no, I actually need to have the data sorted into those variables for use later in the script (it also copies some files to the drives). the "foo is mounted at bar" message is just for debugging purposes. bkasterm, your code worked well, thanks for the help. now, if I could just figure out why it doesn't work the same way on a mac...

NixMonk
September 30th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Is this what your looking for?

`df | grep /dev/[hs]d | awk '{print$1" is mounted at "$6}'`