PDA

View Full Version : PS3 or xbox 360?

spamzilla
February 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I see that GTA IV is coming out soon and I am really tempted to buy a 360 or a PS3. However what I would like to know is:

Which console is 'better?' I know this is probably just a personal opinion question, but has either console got better hardware than the other one?

Does either console have better games? When I used my PS2 a lot, I never got a Xbox due to lack of decent games. Is this still the case?

Is it worth modding either console with a *nix OS and are there downsides/limitations of modding?

Is there anything else you want to add?

If I get really helpful posts, I will give you what little SP I have!!

Sorry for all the questions, but I've been out of the loop of gaming consoles for quite some time now.

Cheers

klange
February 10th, 2008, 05:33 PM
The Xbox always had better games than the PS2, so I don't know what you were thinking there...
Anyway, the PS3 is still lacking in good games (there's COD4, but that's about it and it doesn't look any different on the 360 anyway), however, there is *zero* modding required to get the PS3 to run Linux. No graphics card drivers yet, though, so it's not as cool as it sounds.

Overall, I'd say a PS3 is a much better choice, what with free online play, "second OS" options, and much better graphics.

dnns123
February 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM
PS3, cuz the games made for it havnt even used 1/3 of the monster console's power

hhhhhx
February 10th, 2008, 05:45 PM
if your going for a ps3, you might want to wait. rumor is that sony is making a new version of the ps3, like they did with the ps2. and that would make the original ps3 cheaper.

spamzilla
February 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM
if your going for a ps3, you might want to wait. rumor is that sony is making a new version of the ps3, like they did with the ps2. and that would make the original ps3 cheaper.

This purchase is a few months off yet. I'm buying a new car next week, then a new phone before I get either console. Hopefully Sony say something about an updated PS3 before I decide to buy a console.

Thanks for your comments guys

ghandi69_
February 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM
To be honest, you would be completely happy with either console. The differences in the game library is pretty small now, where there is probably a few better first person shooters on the Xbox (bioshock) and a few better adventure games on the ps3 (uncharted).

I currently own a playstation 3, and I purchased one for the following reasons.

1-> I was a playstation 2 owner, and my favorite games (gran tourismo, metal gear, hot shots golf, final fantasy) are currently playstation 3 only.

2-> Blue Ray. While I don't plan on purchasing any blue ray movies within the next year or so, I like to know that the option is there.

3-> Free online play.

4-> Linux compatibility and hard drive upgrades are all easily done on the playstation 3, with instructions to do so even provided in the manual!

k2t0f12d
February 10th, 2008, 06:09 PM
All consoles are marketing ploys to put a freeflowing keg tap on your bank account. I'd rather castrate myself orally then get any conole...ever.

Shin_Gouki2501
February 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM
PS3 with usb mouse + keyboard and linux its fun!
no xbox online EXTRA costs for nothing!

gn2
February 10th, 2008, 06:18 PM
No mention of the red ring of death yet.......

I do not have a PS3 or an Xbox 360, but I would not consider an Xbox 360, their history of hardware failures puts me off.

I am toying with the idea of a PS3, but I would need a new TV to get the best from it and there's no way I'm ditching my perfectly serviceable 32" CRT set just yet.

a94060
February 10th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I would take the PS3 for linux. I also like the games on there. Since sony has left that open,it leaves a lot more options for what people would like to do with it compared to the 360.

spamzilla
February 10th, 2008, 10:13 PM
No mention of the red ring of death yet.......

I do not have a PS3 or an Xbox 360, but I would not consider an Xbox 360, their history of hardware failures puts me off.

I am toying with the idea of a PS3, but I would need a new TV to get the best from it and there's no way I'm ditching my perfectly serviceable 32" CRT set just yet.

Yeah RRoD is putting me off buying a 360 and I'll need a new TV too :lolflag:

klange
February 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
My 360 hasn't RRoD and I've had it since April of '06.
I have yet to put YDL on my PS3 though, as it's not actually mine and I have to back up large amounts of game profiles and demos to my USB stick first...

PS3 is the better choice for you, so go with it.

spamzilla
February 10th, 2008, 10:25 PM
PS3 is the better choice for you, so go with it.

Yeah its only the price which is making me have second thoughts.

lol btw nice name

WastingBody
February 10th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I've had my Xbox 360 for a while now. Microsoft will replace the console for free if it gets the RRoD as long as the warranty isn't voided. Even though Xbox Live cost money its only $50 a year and thats not to bad considering what it can offer, but its all up to what you want in a console.

zenwhen
February 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I thought I would be getting an Xbox 360 for the longest time, but I have changed my mind. I will get a Ps3 sometime in the next year because I want a Blu Ray player and need to stay current on my sports games.

I was once a PC gamer only, but I have come to prefer console games exclusively.

Kernel Sanders
February 11th, 2008, 12:20 AM
All consoles are marketing ploys to put a freeflowing keg tap on your bank account. I'd rather castrate myself orally then get any conole...ever.

what this man said.

gn2
February 11th, 2008, 12:29 AM

Bit of an extreme statement?

You seem to be overlooking the fact that the PC is a much more expensive proposition as a gaming platform than any console.

I'm intrigued to know how you would achieve self castration orally, have you got a very flexible spine?

Or are you simply trolling again?

Pethegreat
February 11th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I have not seen much in the way of good PS3 games. There are 3 excellent games only on the 360(Halo 3 Gears of War, Mass effect). There are more games that are on both consoles. Xbox live is worth every dollar you spend on it. 13 months runs you about $50, and you get an excellent network.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that the PC is a much more expensive proposition as a gaming platform than any console.
$400 gets me 4 to 5 years of gaming. I would have to dump that much in every year to keep a PC running the new games. PC games have your favorite PC parts site put a keg tap into your bank account.

ryno519
February 11th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I bought a PS3 around a month ago now (the 40GB version) and I was having trouble deciding between the PS3 and 360 as well. My main considerations were that I needed wireless access. The PS3 has a wireless adapter built into the console whereas the 360 needs an external wireless adapter.

My next consideration was actually getting online. The 360 has a technically superior online service for a relatively small price. The PS3 also has a good online system (admittedly not as good as the 360's) and was free. I preferred the free system to the subscription based service. You may experience more minor quirks on the PS3 online service than on the 360's, but I have yet to run into any serious problems.

My next consideration was multimedia, especially high definition video. With the 360 if you want to play an HDDVD you have to buy an external player which last I checked isn't exactly on the cheap side. The PS3 can play bluray movies out of the box. Both system can act as UPnP compliant media renderers and both do it fairly well.

The game library is stronger on the 360 at the moment. However, in the next few months there are going to be some great games coming out on both consoles that will keep you very entertained no matter what you decide buy. In fact, unless I'm mistaken every game I own (all 4 of them) are on both the PS3 and 360. No matter what you pick you're going to have an array of fun games to play.

The PS3 allows you to install other operating systems on it. I haven't done it and don't plan to, so I don't really have anything to say about it except that it is possible to throw GNU/Linux on your PS3 without modding it at all.

So there are some tradeoffs to consider. The 360 has a better online network, but it will cost you somewhere in the area of $50. The PS3 has a free online network, but it has the occassional quirk to deal with. Both can play high def formats, but the 360 can't without a $120 addon, plus the format it plays doesn't seem to be doing to well in the format war. The PS3 on the other hand can play bluray without any addons.

They're both good consoles and you'll be happy with either, I think. I'd recommend the PS3 though. It's more bang for your buck.

Kernel Sanders
February 11th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Bit of an extreme statement?

I'm intrigued to know how you would achieve self castration orally, have you got a very flexible spine?

Or are you simply trolling again?

In fairness, consoles are very expensive, and to get your money's worth you need to keep buying games, which again aren't cheap. Overall, through the life of the console you will be spending A LOT of money.

I am literally stunned by how much some people shell out on consoles and games. I wouldn't want to afford that.

paintba||er
February 11th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I have both, and while it would be tough to decide between the two, I think the PS3 would be a slightly better choice. No hardware problems, better hardware, Blu-ray tremendously increases the potential of the games, free online that also has less problems, etc.

Knyven
February 11th, 2008, 03:26 AM
MS is MS havent you learned your lessons?

gn2
February 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM
In fairness, consoles are very expensive, and to get your money's worth you need to keep buying games,

PC gaming hardware is more expensive and you still have to pay for games for the PC.
Over time the PC will need hardware and recently Operating System upgrades to keep up.
If I buy a PS3 today it will still be able to play a PS3 game I buy in 2014, the same is not true of the PC as a gaming platform.
A PS3 costs significantly less than a decent gaming PC and it can be used as a PC as well.

On price there's really no contest.

original_jamingrit
February 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I haven't seen much of the ps3, but I'm getting to more and more dislike the xbox 360. My buddy has one, I've played several games on it, some of them were good, like Mass Effect, and Dead Rising, although the gameplay gets a little stale in both after a while. But having to pay for online and the expensive games themselves would put me off ever getting one myself.
I have another buddy with a Wii, and it's awesome, although I don't think it's getting GTA or many other other PC ports.
If I had the money to commit to a console, it wouldn't be the xbox, at least.
EDIT: and not just because I hate microsoft... because I'd hate all the EA games out for it as well.

DocHoliday52090
February 12th, 2008, 12:05 AM
I don't know what's with the massive amount of 360 bashing, but I'm going to cast my vote for the XBOX.

The online play is simply something else. I don't find it comparable at all to the PS3, which I just gave to my brother. RRoD rarely ever happens on the newer consoles, and having Linux on the console isn't as great as you think it is.

I modded my 360 and installed Ubuntu, and did (albiet without the modding. It IS easier on the PS3 to install it) it on the PS3 too. It was great for a few days before I lost interest. I'd rather run it on my own computer anyday. My console is for playing games, and I'd rather not keep rebooting to make stuff work.

But what really does it for me on the 360 is the controller. I can't express my love for this white hunk of awesome. It gets more battery life than the competition, still has rumble, and makes good use of buttons - especially for first person shooters. The graphics differences are slight to nonexistent. Some games even run worse on the PS3 (Madden '08, for example) due to the incredbly complicated architecture.

And give me a break with the "IT'S MICROSOFT GUYS. IT'S MICROSOFT. IT MUST SUCK!". The Zune pummels the compable iPods in almost every respect. Popfly is poised to revolutionize Web 2.0. The Office series outperforms the competition in many respects, and Word still manages to boot up faster in Wine than OpenOffice on my Gutsy setup.

So no, you can't go around making logical fallacies.

1.) Windows sucks in many respects.
2.) Microsoft makes Windows.
3.) The 360 is made by Microsoft and therefore sucks.

This does not work.

paintba||er
February 12th, 2008, 12:18 AM
But what really does it for me on the 360 is the controller. I can't express my love for this white hunk of awesome. It gets more battery life than the competition, still has rumble, and makes good use of buttons - especially for first person shooters.

Yes, the 360 controller is excellent. It fits to your hand so comfortably that you almost forget it is there. But as far as the battery life goes, it is horrible by comparison to the PS3. I only have to charge my PS3 controller about every fifth time I use it, where I have to charge my 360 controller almost every time. And when I do charge them my PS3 controller is charged in a little over an hour, while I'm using it to play a game. My 360 controller takes about four hours when I'm not playing with it. And the PS3 controller has a few other advantages such as the much wider range of the analog sticks, which is excellent for shooters, and my personal favorite thing about it: the weight. When I first got my PS3 and picked up the controller I was looking around for a battery pack because it was so light that I figured there must be more to it....

ubuntoy
February 12th, 2008, 02:45 AM
1.) Windows sucks in many respects.
2.) Microsoft makes Windows.
3.) The 360 is made by Microsoft and therefore sucks.

This does not work.

30% failure rate, that means 1 out of 3 xbox360 is defective... need to say more?
MS debts in gaming consoles $6 billion... they didnt earn even one penny... MS leave gaming world alone, we had enough IE WMP WGA VISTA being forced upon our mouths.

init1
February 12th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I've got a friend who bought a 360. He hasn't complained about it all. Personally, I'm more of a portable gamer (I'm posting this from my PSP :D)

forceofnature
February 12th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I love the PS3 got it last year and still working like a champ my son uses it for hours on end. I installed YDL 5 on it just because. I have downloaded YDL 6 and plan on loading it this weekend.

I think a second PS3 is coming to the house soon too as well as another 1080p LCD Display. I am thinking about getting one of those 25,000:1 contrast ration samsungs. I have a Sharp Aquos now that is nice but that Samsung was freakishly real with the high contrast ratio.

Istonian
February 12th, 2008, 04:10 AM
I like the 360. With the new falcon models problems persist a lot less with 360's. The games and exclusive titles are much more appealing the the PS3.

DocHoliday52090
February 12th, 2008, 09:45 PM
30% failure rate, that means 1 out of 3 xbox360 is defective... need to say more?

That'll need some sources, especially with the new revisions showing almost no defects at all. The Falcon chipset has all but eliminated these problems.

MS debts in gaming consoles $6 billion... they didnt earn even one penny...

How does this correlate to the Xbox's success or failure? Their hardware has always been more expensive than the price it's sold at. Only recently has Microsoft gone out of the red. Breaking the Sony/Nintendo monopoly isn't easy, but I don't think you see it that way. Clearly only Microsoft is running a monopoly, and and them trying to break the mold is blasphemous.

MS leave gaming world alone, we had enough IE WMP WGA VISTA being forced upon our mouths.

Nobody forced it down your throat. Don't use Vista, Internet Explorer, or Windows Media Player. What's that? You've already done so with Ubuntu?

Good. Now sit down and be quiet.

Tristicus
February 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
The Xbox always had better games than the PS2, so I don't know what you were thinking there...
Anyway, the PS3 is still lacking in good games (there's COD4, but that's about it and it doesn't look any different on the 360 anyway), however, there is *zero* modding required to get the PS3 to run Linux. No graphics card drivers yet, though, so it's not as cool as it sounds.

Overall, I'd say a PS3 is a much better choice, what with free online play, "second OS" options, and much better graphics.

No. PS2 OWNED the Xbox.

PS3 all the way man....I am so amazed by mine still....and I have had it for over 6 months.

Get Uncharted first BTW. AMAZING GAME MADE BY AN AMAZING COMPANY! Then Ratchet and Clank and Resistance.

Tristicus
February 12th, 2008, 10:06 PM
That'll need some sources, especially with the new revisions showing almost no defects at all. The Falcon chipset has all but eliminated these problems.
Dude, it did not fix it. The Elites and such still get the problem. Not the RROD, but still a big problem with video and such. The 360 has a failure rate of 30%, with consoles getting sent back and "fixed", then have it agaiN?? The 360 has been out since 2005, and they cannot get this straight? PS3 has a 1% or so failure rate and has been out since 2006....so....

How does this correlate to the Xbox's success or failure? Their hardware has always been more expensive than the price it's sold at. Only recently has Microsoft gone out of the red. Breaking the Sony/Nintendo monopoly isn't easy, but I don't think you see it that way. Clearly only Microsoft is running a monopoly, and and them trying to break the mold is blasphemous.
MS is loosing a lot of money, even though it is not showing. PS3s are starting to actually make Sony money, in where the 360 isn't (I believe)

Nobody forced it down your throat. Don't use Vista, Internet Explorer, or Windows Media Player. What's that? You've already done so with Ubuntu?

Good. Now sit down and be quiet.
Yeah....PS3 owns the 360.

rumour88
February 12th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I'm Going to throw my chips in for the 360, the on line features are excellent great fun playing 4 player halo co-op over live. Even though the PS3s games line up is getting better (especially with wipEout HD coming out!) it's still no were as good as the 360s currently. This may not be the situation in a years time but right now I know which one I would go with.

Also I just prefer the pad too.

Atomic Dog
February 12th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Like some others here I bought the PS3 for the following:

Easy & cheap to upgrade hard drive (yes it's a real normal laptop HD)
Linux on the PS3
Media Server connectivity: Streams HD content nicely from tversity on my win box (xvid, mp4, mkv).
Blu-ray -it won the format war and will be around for a while anyway
Free online gaming (motostorm can be fun online)
Potential just starting to be realized -developer tools are just now getting 1/2 decent
HDMI 1.3a

Now I only own a few games, and play only occasionally, but it is a lot of fun. I labored over the $400 and $500 version. In the end I had no old PS2 games so PS2 compatability isn't important, and I can always stick in a bigger HD. For $400 it isn't a bad deal really.

klange
February 12th, 2008, 10:55 PM
No. PS2 OWNED the Xbox.
I happen to have both and therefore can make an appropriate comparison between them. The Xbox was a far greater piece of hardware with a much better set of games, but I don't quite feel like writing an entire comparison between them, so I'll leave it at this: The Xbox had all of its networking components built in, the PS2 required you to buy an adapter that cost as much as two years of Xbox live service when it first came out. Xbox live service has always been extremely proficient (though I can't say it was/is worth the $50 a year), far greater than the free services provided by Sony (and that still stands true today) The Xbox had a revolutionary graphics chipset, the PS2 wasn't much better than the integrated GF2 in my desktop (it wasn't even Shader Model-capable) The controller scheme on the Xbox was also much more adaptable, and considering a large majority of games were FPSes, the fact that the Xbox's controller actually felt a little more like a gun was a major advantage.

The Xbox was better than the PS2, but the 360 is no where near as good as the PS3.

super breadfish
February 12th, 2008, 11:03 PM
It's a tough one. 360 has a better online system and a better selection of games, but both the 360 console and Xbox Live aren't exactly reliable. Live has had major problems all winter, and nearly everyone I know is on their second 360 now (mine died last month). Apparently 30% of all systems will die eventually.

PS3s seem to be built better, and definitely have the edge with multimedia capabilities. Good format support, Blu-ray (if that's your thing) and it takes normal hard drives.
I really wouldn't buy one for the Linux compatibility though, PS3 is a great games console/media centre but for the price it's a crap PC. Too little RAM, and most of the advanced stuff that powers the games (RSX etc) is disabled under Linux.

%hMa@?b<C
February 12th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I had an Xbox360, it broke RRoD, and I returned it (full refund @ costco!)
Not to say I didn't like the 360, but I would go with the PS3 because of a lot of things
1.) blu-ray - it is winning the hi-def war, you will need a blu-ray player pretty soon
2.) quality of build - ps3 failure rate is very low.

there are others thtt I can't think of.

I have a wii and love it (modded with YAOSM!)

if you do go with the PS3, check out PS3hax.net there is some reallyy interesting stuff going on there.

Joeb454
February 12th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I have a 360, and I love it. Though I'm a self-confessed gadget collector...so I'll probably get a PS3 at some point ;)

Atomic Dog
February 12th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I forgot about the low ram part, but eventually the advanced stuff will be either made available or hacked into one way or another. I'll be pissed if they come out with a 1/2 gig ram version as I see no way to upgrade the memory in the PS3.

kool_kat_os
February 13th, 2008, 01:39 AM
this thread should have a poll

Knyven
February 13th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I am wondering of what MS shady motives is by entering gaming console market where they are earning a heap of debts and still counting and will double if they introduced Xbox 720 somewhere in 2009, so im expecting 360 would be its last kind, besides they already have PC gaming, gasp maybe PC gaming is dying. Now that Gates has retired he is the reason for pushing the Xbox even though its not profitable. Maybe now MS will think business wise and discontinue the Xbox like all companies do with bad divisions.

The latest news is, PS3 is now outselling Xbox 360 on a weekly sales Worldwide. So choose your investment.

The Xbox though is outselling PS3 in America by a large margin. But America is not the World.