PDA

View Full Version : Open source software and the digital divide dissertation

wanttolearn
February 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Hi,

As part of my dissertation "Open source software and the digital divide" I need to gather some primary data. I would really appreciate it if members of this community could fill in two questionnaires that I have made.

Questionnaire 1 (http://www.studentquestionnaire.co.uk/index.php?sid=23516&lang=en)
and

Questionnaire 2 (http://www.studentquestionnaire.co.uk/index.php?sid=47273&lang=en)

I'd also like to hear of any local projects that people know of that are using OSS to provide people with PC access

Thanks for your time.

Sean

barbedsaber
February 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
done

popch
February 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Done both. Had a bit of a difficulty in the first one with 'level of education' because the terms did not mean anything to me. I presume the terms are those used in the UK.

bonzodog
February 10th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Done and Done.

wanttolearn
February 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Popch, thanks for the feedback. Where are you from and what are the levels of education in your country?

Thanks

Sean

rune0077
February 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Done. Had same problem as mentioned above, with the education-thing. I just picked one of them, that sounded right, but not sure if it was the right one.

jolx
February 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
done

popch
February 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Hi Popch, thanks for the feedback. Where are you from and what are the levels of education in your country?

I am a bit out of my depth here. I live in Switzerland, and every one of the two dozen states (called 'Cantons') has its own schooling system.

When I assume 'level of schooling' to mean the kind of qualification acquired, there would exist a scale like

primary + secondary -> most basic education
primary + real -> required for learning most professions
primary + gym -> ending in 'matura' (bachelor?) and enabling to study at high school or uni
primary + gym + study -> ending in degree (license or diploma)
primary + gym + study + dissertation -> doctorate

Terms, durations and conditions vary from Canton to Canton. Also, my knowledge on that topic will be a bit dated since it's been quite some time that I did any of this.

wanttolearn
February 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I've updated the answers with a little more info.

Thanks again

SonicSteve
February 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I am a bit out of my depth here. I live in Switzerland, and every one of the two dozen states (called 'Cantons') has its own schooling system.

When I assume 'level of schooling' to mean the kind of qualification acquired, there would exist a scale like

primary + secondary -> most basic education
primary + real -> required for learning most professions
primary + gym -> ending in 'matura' (bachelor?) and enabling to study at high school or uni
primary + gym + study -> ending in degree (license or diploma)
primary + gym + study + dissertation -> doctorate

Terms, durations and conditions vary from Canton to Canton. Also, my knowledge on that topic will be a bit dated since it's been quite some time that I did any of this.

In canada we have college and university. Plus I actually never earned my degree but I did attend for 3 years. I would fall into a category like so.

some post secondary education.
also
technical education ( I did my MCSE, but A+ type of certs would land here also.)

Don S
February 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Filled the first one. Don't have time for the second.

Biochem
February 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM
done but I have two suggestion to improve the questionnaire.

1- For the education, put the number of year in school. the terminology changes from country to country but everyone who spend 20 years in school should be of about the same level.

2- you ask on the second form if we know what the digital divide is. I answered no. Then all the following question assumed that we know what your talking about. A definition of what is the digital divide should be included somewhere. Honestly Digital Divide could be a rock band or something.

zmjjmz
February 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Did them.
Had a bit of trouble on the education part too though.

jimrz
February 10th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I'd also like to hear of any local projects that people know of that are using OSS to provide people with PC access

done and done

here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Endorphin_Power_Company_Ubuntu_Install_and_Support ) is a project that our LoCo is currently engaged in that may fit what you are looking for.

Palmyra
February 10th, 2008, 11:07 PM
As others have, I would recommend you clean up the education part. A Levels means nothing to someone who lives in the United States. The number of years may be more useful. You might also ask how far one is from working a full time job or something.

College and University are, in some places, considered the same. In the United States, college = university, and university = college.

Some of the other questions require clarification such as "How often do you use a computer?" I wanted to ask "per day, per week, or per month?"